Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-27-2020, 09:01 PM

The OP has a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag.

He can't shoot any slug (foster or sabot) from his smooth bore. Manufacture states this in the manual.

He can however fire off all the sabots he want's from his rifled barrel. SO the challenger slugs or breneke slugs are no good in his rifled barrel.

I have the same shotgun. Hornady SST Sabots shoot fantastic from the slug barrel.

But each to their own.... just my 2 cents...
Old 01-28-2020, 11:57 AM

I agree that the foster type heavier slugs are the better close range stoppers. The sabot slugs are quite accurate out to 150 yards with a rifled slug barrel.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:03 AM

If you sink a grizz at 50yards, enjoy your court time. They’ll expect you to know that 90% of charges are bluffs and grill you why you shot a bear outside of 10 yards.
I’ve never been charged fortunately, but I have been within 20 yards to several grizz - with cubs too.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:30 AM

Main reason why we always have bear spray.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
If you sink a grizz at 50yards, enjoy your court time. They’ll expect you to know that 90% of charges are bluffs and grill you why you shot a bear outside of 10 yards.
I’ve never been charged fortunately, but I have been within 20 yards to several grizz - with cubs too.

I myself have never even seen a grizzly but lots of blacks. I personally do a lot of bush camping & always have either a .45-70 with my hardcast hand loads ready or my UTS-15 with challenger slugs on standby (always bear spray & two rotties close by as well! haha)

WIth that being said u are very correct! I have had multiple discussions with F&W officers in the foothills where we camp. The charging bear had best be like u say, 10-15yards in front of you when it drops, bear spray must have been used yada yada. If it's tearing up your trailer or tent & your inside they fair game. But if they tearing up your pets, or your animal you just harvested on a meat pole ect... too bad it's now the bears. One F&W told me a story about a guy down in Nordegg area. He called them & said he shot a cougar as it was "going to attack" him. He showed them where he shot it & the distance.. 50-60 yards away! He was charged, took his firearm ect.. so best make sure it really is life or death, & not being scared & tuff because u have a gun...

So knowing your shotgun chambered with the right slug & distance will certainly do the trick, but you best make sure its your life over the animals...