Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-27-2020, 07:28 AM

Default south chain lakes report

Hello all, went down to chain lakes on Friday and easily drove on the ice. The ice is 18" thick. We fished until 2pm and only caught 1 rainbow. We caught the only rainbow that we seen among 8 fisherman. Plenty of suckers though hahahaha. There were a couple of bald eagles near us on the ice which was cool to see. One of the fisherman walked across to the other side of the lake and started his auger well you should have seen the cow moose book it out of that area, pretty cool to see. The conservation officers dropped by for a license check and said no one has been catching trout the past week or so, I guess we were lucky with our trophy 14" trout hahahaha.

Tight lines
Goose
Old 01-27-2020, 09:26 AM

What size were the suckers? We were thinking of doing a bait run and catch a bunch.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:31 AM

The girlfriend and I fished at the south end last weekend and did really well. We caught 12 Rainbows, 1 Bull and 6 small Brookies which was something new (plus a bunch of suckers). The bite was super strange though as it was slow first thing in the morning and got better in the afternoon. The key for us was mealworms on a 3mm pink tungsten jig. Tried other colours, sizes, maggots worms etc. but fish were not taking anything else. We fished shallow in the 4-9ft range.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
What size were the suckers? We were thinking of doing a bait run and catch a bunch.
The ones we got were 12-16". About 70% white suckers and 30% longnose.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:32 PM

I must be doing something wrong for sure. Seems all the posters are catching 12 to 16in. fish at Chain.

All the years I have fished it both with the boat and through the ice I can count on one hand the number of 16 I have caught. Like most all the other guys I have seen., most have rainbows in the 10-12 inch range.

Must be holding my mouth the wrong way I guess.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:38 PM

I’ve been out with the kiddies four or five times in the last month and a half. Only two trout to show for it. And I’m not seeing anyone else catch anything either.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:24 PM

Ya it’s very poor fishing. The people that say they catch 16” trout are talking about a different lake. There needs to be some big changes to make that lake worthwhile. It’s only 30 min for me to get there and fish but I really hate it so I don’t often go. It could be a good lake.