Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2020, 07:54 PM

And if you weren't nervous before....

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/26/healt...als/index.html

https://www.statnews.com/2020/01/26/...-experts-say/?

Meanwhile rockets hit US embassy in Iraq, no casualties and oils off almost 3%. Golds up $10.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:03 PM

Xi coming out talking about a grave situation doesn’t help my nerves at all. Communist regimes aren’t in the habit of overestimating a bad situation. If someone can explain why that pronouncement is likely an embellishment along with explaining why a massive lockdown if they really have little proof of severity that’d be swell. I suspect this will be blaring front page news by the end of the week. Two weeks at the most.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
Xi coming out talking about a grave situation doesn’t help my nerves at all. Communist regimes aren’t in the habit of overestimating a bad situation. If someone can explain why that pronouncement is likely an embellishment along with explaining why a massive lockdown if they really have little proof of severity that’d be swell. I suspect this will be blaring front page news by the end of the week. Two weeks at the most.
I'm making some of my statements based only on what I can find. I initially figured true numbers were 10x as published. Sounds like 20x is more like it.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
I'm making some of my statements based only on what I can find. I initially figured true numbers were 10x as published. Sounds like 20x is more like it.
I think you’ve had a good read on things but that doesn’t help lol. Wanted to hear something like Xi got caught in cross dressing pics and this is just a huge deflection. At least our preps are almost complete for as much as we can do. Take care all.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
You need to understand what was/is happening in Hong Kong with the student protesters. China was looking for an excuse to lock down their cities and send in the military.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 01-26-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
You need to understand what was/is happening in Hong Kong with the student protesters. China was looking for an excuse to lock down their cities and send in the military.
I know what has been going on there and i think that is ridiculous speculation. If it had started in HK I might be inclined to give that a passing consideration. If it had started in HK and china just happened to find an antidote within weeks before it crossed HK boundaries then you have my attention. If we are talking conspiracies I’d sooner accept the claim of an accidental escape from a bio lab. That doesn’t help us though.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
And if you weren't nervous before....

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/26/healt...als/index.html

https://www.statnews.com/2020/01/26/...-experts-say/?

Meanwhile rockets hit US embassy in Iraq, no casualties and oils off almost 3%. Golds up $10.
This is what I've been saying all along, and getting picked apart as spreading fear. I'm really not. I saw this trend in the initial stages, and the numbers are scary. Created my own spreadsheet/graph. Numbers are false, and only going to get worse when they can no longer hide the truth. It will keep growing, and surpass SARS. Even with published numbers, this is exponential transmission to the factor of 3.9. That is huge. Wait for a few wicked mutations, and see how the numbers change. Not fear mongering, just saying, be on the safe side y'all, while you can. Supplies of masks are drying up.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 01-26-2020 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:24 PM
Banned

Sounds like you should be getting interviewed and giving your take on this locally. Tomorrow, call into 630ched, I listen like all day at work and I know they're gonna be talking about it and those goofs are only gonna regurgitate mainstream news sound bites.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
Sounds like you should be getting interviewed and giving your take on this locally. Tomorrow, call into 630ched, I listen like all day at work and I know they're gonna be talking about it and those goofs are only gonna regurgitate mainstream news sound bites.
Talking to me?

Anyways, now 80 deaths 2750 confirmed cases. Staying steady at about 3% mortality. Based on published numbers, which I don't believe one bit.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:28 PM

"I am Legend"....2020.....?
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
This is what I've been saying all along, and getting picked apart as spreading fear. I'm really not. I saw this trend in the initial stages, and the numbers are scary. Created my own spreadsheet/graph. Numbers are false, and only going to get worse when they can no longer hide the truth. It will keep growing, and surpass SARS. Even with published numbers, this is exponential transmission to the factor of 3.9. That is huge. Wait for a few wicked mutations, and see how the numbers change. Not fear mongering, just saying, be on the safe side y'all, while you can. Supplies of masks are drying up.
As I’ve pointed out to you before, you’re not using reliable numbers. We don’t have a good idea of the infection rate or severity as a result right now. The numbers could also be skewed due to in hospital patients with weakened immune systems contracting the disease. Need more data before we really know what we’re dealing with.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 01-26-2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I can't stress enough. It has been proven this is exponential contagion to the power of 4, and only in its infancy. We're only seeing the first wave of infections right now, so the huge exponential growth numbers are yet to be seen. Also, estimated only 5.1% of cases have been reported. Exponential growth hasn't even had a chance to appear yet. I am not a fear monger, nor a doomsday theorist. I am educated and know enough to see where this is headed. The numbers are scary scary stuff. It is not here yet, but it will be.

To put this into perspective, by the end, SARS only had about 9000 confirmed infected with 9.8% mortality.

We are only in the beginning stage of exponential growth, with 1800 infected last I heard, 41 dead. It will grow, exponentially!! I just don't understand the trolls trying to downplay how serious this is going to be.
80 dead, 2700 confirmed cases today. My quoted post is one day old. I'll let you genius trolls do math on that and graph it...
Old 01-26-2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
As I’ve pointed out to you before, you’re not using reliable numbers. We don’t have a good idea of the infection rate or severity as a result right now. The numbers could also be skewed due to in hospital patients with weakened immune systems contracting the disease. Need more data before we really know what we’re dealing with.
The numbers I can find, I guarantee are on the low side. China is transparent as a porcelain bowl.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
The numbers I can find, I guarantee are on the low side. China is transparent as a porcelain bowl.
Very transparent when looking from above
Old 01-26-2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
Not to all...

Going to bed. But for tomorrow ,anyone able to tell me how to block people? Tried quickly but didn't work Nothing to do with you Gilion.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 01-26-2020 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
Depends on when it was peed in last
Old 01-26-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Not to all...

Going to bed. But for tomorrow ,anyone able to tell me how to block people? Tried quickly but didn't work Nothing to do with you Gilion.
go to user CP and on left hand side: settings and options - is edit ignore list.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
My sister is a charge nurse at the ER in a major city hospital. The other day we were talking about masks and she said they she is going to do a fit test as she hasn't done one recently.

I will let her know that she is mistaken and they no longer need to fit test n95 masks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
The last fit test I had for a paper N95 was 8 months ago (regular documentation required when intubating TB patients in a negative pressure isolation rooms ).
Your paper masks must be much fancier than any N95 disposables I have ever seen. So an aluminum band you bend to seal with one elastic cord stapled to them pulling the mask in half. No face seal. Pleated paper. No four point strap actually pulling a gasket to your face. These are all signs of a mask that will never achieve a seal. Especially when talking or moving your jaw. If you push the mask onto your face and breath deep for a negative pressure test good on you. As soon as you remove your hand you have no seal. The difference would be like a safety glass or goggle. Do you wear safety goggles or glasses to intubate TB patients?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mked View Post

Lots of videos circulating online of medical staff in wuhan in full hazmat gear, dead people littering hospital hallways, medical staff running out of basic PPE and staff getting expired masks.
Everything in this world is given an expiry date. What would actually expire on these masks? Honest question. Are they covered in a chemical or compound of some sort? Do you know? As far as I can tell its just a filter membrane. Not sure how it would expire.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Talking to me?

Yes.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Your paper masks must be much fancier than any N95 disposables I have ever seen. So an aluminum band you bend to seal with one elastic cord stapled to them pulling the mask in half. No face seal. Pleated paper. No four point strap actually pulling a gasket to your face. These are all signs of a mask that will never achieve a seal. Especially when talking or moving your jaw. If you push the mask onto your face and breath deep for a negative pressure test good on you. As soon as you remove your hand you have no seal. The difference would be like a safety glass or goggle. Do you wear safety goggles or glasses to intubate TB patients?

Everything in this world is given an expiry date. What would actually expire on these masks? Honest question. Are they covered in a chemical or compound of some sort? Do you know? As far as I can tell its just a filter membrane. Not sure how it would expire.
The medical N95 masks come in different sizes and shapes to effectively seal and prevent the transmission of airborne disease. They’re not your oilfield dust masks. For example I use this one https://www.amazon.ca/3M-Healthcare-...GB0VH0VK4TTY6N

A lot of other people I know use these https://www.amazon.ca/1860-Particula...N6ZW7WFH9Q3321
Old 01-27-2020, 07:33 AM

I want this called the NuWuFlu

An I wanna know how to copyright stuff....

Crisis is opportunity man....,,
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-27-2020, 07:43 AM

This is what I have for myself and family for masks (respirators)

https://www.3mcanada.ca/3M/en_CA/com...3732625&rt=rud

along with these filters

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...4776289&rt=rud

99.97% filtration of particles 0.3 microns and greater. Higher filtration than N95 (95% filtration), and oil resistant, while N designation is not.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 01-27-2020 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
I want this called the NuWuFlu

An I wanna know how to copyright stuff....

Crisis is opportunity man....,,
KungFlu.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
This is what I have for myself and family for masks (respirators)

https://www.3mcanada.ca/3M/en_CA/com...3732625&rt=rud

along with these filters

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...4776289&rt=rud

99.97% filtration of particles 0.3 microns and greater. Higher filtration than N95 (95% filtration), and oil resistant, while N designation is not.
We got the same in our house.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:21 AM

.. not bad...... so uh..... can I use that...?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-27-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
KungFlu.
LOL I think that could catch on.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:49 AM

I don't understand why they are dragging their feet on this... Just call it already!

"GENEVA: The World Health Organization on Monday (Jan 27) said the global risk from the deadly virus in China was "high", admitting an error in its previous reports that said it was "moderate".

The UN health body said in a situation report published late Sunday that the risk was "very high in China, high at the regional level and high at the global level."

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/wuhan-virus-who-says-global-risk-is-high-china-12359024
Old 01-27-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I don't understand why they are dragging their feet on this... Just call it already!

"GENEVA: The World Health Organization on Monday (Jan 27) said the global risk from the deadly virus in China was "high", admitting an error in its previous reports that said it was "moderate".

The UN health body said in a situation report published late Sunday that the risk was "very high in China, high at the regional level and high at the global level."

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/wuhan-virus-who-says-global-risk-is-high-china-12359024
Good ol' politics. WHO is treading as lightly as they can as are all first world health officials. Unfortunately something like this needs a hammer to squash if there is any chance. The most distressing part to me is they are not giving the average person the proper time to prepare ahead of an event actually hitting. That is going to unnecessarily strain the system later if/when the reality hits and people rush to the store at a time supply chains are compromised by fear and sickness. People should be stocking up on essentials while things are relatively calm and there is the ability to resupply. The longer they leave this announcement the bigger the risk of a rush at the end and all the things that come with hoarding. The lead up to hurricanes gives one a small picture of what this could turn into. To make things worse, unlike with earthquakes and hurricanes, there won't be a mass of people and supplies in unaffected areas that are in a position to help out.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
.. not bad...... so uh..... can I use that...?
Of course. Maybe start a rap group called WuhanClan too.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Of course. Maybe start a rap group called WuhanClan too.
How you can be so amused by something as terrible as this is baffling. People are losing loved ones and it is a worldwide concern. Why you are still posting in this thread is puzzling too.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....