Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-13-2018, 03:40 PM

Default Fernie Cutty or Bass

I'm in Fernie on business for 3 days and I'll have the evenings to myself. Easy button is hitting up the river with some dry fly's but then thought about knocking off the bucket list and getting a largemouth bass at Surveyors or Baynes lake south of town.

Anybody have some advice for those bass lakes? If I'm fishing 7-9pm are the bass still active? Can I fish from shore? Appreciate any advice.

Cheers,
Bullfighter
Old 08-13-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfighter View Post
I'm in Fernie on business for 3 days and I'll have the evenings to myself. Easy button is hitting up the river with some dry fly's but then thought about knocking off the bucket list and getting a largemouth bass at Surveyors or Baynes lake south of town.

Anybody have some advice for those bass lakes? If I'm fishing 7-9pm are the bass still active? Can I fish from shore? Appreciate any advice.

Cheers,
Bullfighter
Following......been wondering about what the closest bass lake to Calgary is. Since leaving Manitoba, the cousin and I are itching for a topwater bass bite......
Old 08-13-2018, 10:02 PM

Head out to Baynes lake lots of bass but small. You can fish from
Shore along the path on the north end. Lots of downed trees in the water and the bass hang around them. I was catching them on natural color 3” tube jigs.
There is also surveyors lake it’s prety hard to fish from shore but still doable. Once again lots of small fish. I think deworms would work well but they where sold out everywhere so I resorted to tube jigs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2AC69CCD-333F-4BA8-A18D-1A20339993E7.jpg (13.1 KB, 110 views)
Old 08-14-2018, 01:50 PM

This is a no brainer for me, hit that Elk and hit it hard

If you need a bass fix, I found that even small spinners like a Panther Martin worked quite well from shore at dusk
Old 08-14-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfighter View Post

Cheers,
Bullfighter
The Elk is classified waters so make sure you pay the extra per day for the licence. also single barbless hooks in rivers and streams.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:05 PM

i hear you can keep 15 rocky mountian whitefish, is there any size limits like alberta does?