Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-01-2010, 02:37 PM

Default Ice hut recomendations

Since the weather is bad I decided to start looking for this years birthday present, an ice hut.

Size up to 4 people
Fit into a small car if possible
I only have a moderate budget
Old 09-01-2010, 02:51 PM

An ice cube? Really your only option in a car.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:10 PM

OK so I will be looking for if this goes on for sale.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...box.jsp.form23

I had used my hunting blind last year but for the most part too drafty. I want to make ice fishing more kid/wife friendly. Skunkboy will take the cold but none of the others.

For a compelling reason I could go bigger and always use the van and/trailer.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:21 PM

Wow so scary to see threads like these about ice fishing coming up already!

I have a small ice cube I bought from WSS on sale. Wasn't exactly a great deal but did save a few bucks. It is really quick and easy to set it up and when collapsed in its carry bag you could easily fit in in your car trunk sideways. Its not too heavy as well so you could definitely carry it on your back and walk out to the lake.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:22 PM

I would strongly recommend one of the big doublewide tents. I have the Clam Command Post and it's absolutely perfect for four people plus a heater and some gear. Any smaller than the 12' x 6' and you start getting a little too small for comfortable fishing IMO. Frabill makes the Headquarters, which is a little cheaper but doesn't hold a candle to the Clam as far as I'm concerned.

It's not exactly tiny, but it should fit in your car without too much trouble.

Since I picked it up, the wife loves coming out. Set up the table in there, get the stove going...FLAAAAAG!!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 03:47 PM

I like the clam, except the tie downs on it. Ice cubes are way nICEr in my opinion, especially the hooks that go inthe ice.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:04 PM

I have the Icecube 2 person. Love it. I hang my fish tv from one corner with bungie cords and just put my feet up, grab the munchies and watch the show. I also use the adjustable strap on the roof to hang my ice scoopers... and put extra rods up when not in use. Take something for flooring... as it open to snow. I use a nice thick throw rug for half the tent that the wife used to have in the laundry room. She never comes fishing.

One thing... maybe i am an idiot... but it always takes me forever to unfold it and then fold back it back at day's end. That drives me bonkers.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:09 PM

Well, someone already posted this thread so I may as well ask what I want to here. This year has been one of the worst years for work ever, and I am pretty low on cash. As long as I can remember I've wanted to get a gas powered auger and an ice hut. By any chance do any members have an old one of either or? I would be willing to pay, but I can't afford a ton of money...

Thanks
Old 09-01-2010, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the input so far, and sorry for starting the thought so early I want to make an informed decision on this one. get recomendation , take the time to see them set-up if possible. I did not want to be rushed when the time came.

I like the comments on size all I knew is that I wanted bigger, the though of having a card table set up never occured to me. Oddly I can get a fair bit into my car. You should have seen the looks I got when the CO's asked me what kind of viehicle I use, the last time I was in a cypress hills elk tag briefing.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynailz View Post
I would strongly recommend one of the big doublewide tents. I have the Clam Command Post and it's absolutely perfect for four people plus a heater and some gear. Any smaller than the 12' x 6' and you start getting a little too small for comfortable fishing IMO. Frabill makes the Headquarters, which is a little cheaper but doesn't hold a candle to the Clam as far as I'm concerned.

It's not exactly tiny, but it should fit in your car without too much trouble.

Since I picked it up, the wife loves coming out. Set up the table in there, get the stove going...FLAAAAAG!!!!

The Headquarters is a piece of garbage. Mine, and several others, went back to TFH this year. The gents at TFH were awesome about returning them The Command Post is on my wishlist for this year.

You'd need a ski box to carry it with a smaller car, though.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:32 PM

My nly input here is to make sure that whatever you buy is on sale, and not just cheap. I had the "pleasure of helping set up a cheap tent. Not fun, and the first gust of wind snapped a pole in half and the whole thing crashed. When I was done laghing at the guy inside that looked like he was shrinkwrapped, we fished out of the windows of the truck.
Which by the way is about as comfortable and budget friendly as it gets.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:55 PM

I picked up an HT Instashak from Cabellas last winter, 2 man. I had it up and down well over 50 or more times with not one problem. Thinking of upgrading to a 4 man when its more than just me going this winter, possibly an insulated one. Mine fit in my Cavalier with tons of room left over, the 4 man isnt that much bigger. Made a folding insulated floor with trapdoors and it even fit in the car with the tent and all my gear.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 09-01-2010, 06:04 PM

I built my own. Pretty detailed instructions here, but won't fit in a small car very easily.

I'm tossing around the idea of selling mine, but not sure if I want to do that just yet.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=24357
Old 09-02-2010, 12:58 PM

As Dark Aisling said, do not buy the Frabill. I am also looking at a Clam 12x6 for this year. TFH will get my business for their customer service (regarding my returning the tent at the end of the ice season) if they carry it.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:15 PM

What were the times you did not like about the frabils

hubs
fabric
anchor
general
Old 09-02-2010, 01:30 PM

ICE CUBE
-fits in a car
-easy set up/take down
-pop up shape gives more elbow room
-fair price

LOVE mine, would not buy anything else!
Old 09-02-2010, 03:12 PM

X2 for the ice cube. have the 4 man

fit,s 2 with gear & chairs. best one so far out of about 5 different
tents i have had.

orv.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post

hubs
fabric
anchor
general
I had the poles pop out of the hubs, and the hubs pull out of the fabric.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:24 PM

For the record: having fished from the ice cube for 3 seasons and fished out of a clam, they are very similar but some differences. Like I said, the ancors are better on the ice cube, so is the strap system to ancor down. The clam material is double the thickness and has two doors instead of one. But horrible "strings" to ancor the system down. IMO, not as robust or easy to setup.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:44 PM

If you want 4 people, the 12 x 6 is the way to go. I have fished out of the ice cubes, frabills and Clam pop ups. I prefer the Clam and bought a summit last year. The summit is a good size for 3 people and gear. To get 4 in there, you basically have to all be on buckets and there isn't much room for any gear. The Clam's are the best to me because they have the thicker material. The straps for the anchors are quite bogus as nicemustang has pointed out, so I went and bought a some better strats for about $10 so that wasn't a big deal.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post

hubs
fabric
anchor
general
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
I had the poles pop out of the hubs, and the hubs pull out of the fabric.
I had these problems, plus the anchors sucked (very difficult to get started in the ice vs. the other ones out there and I ended up bending them all pushing so hard) and the clear plastic window "fogged" after only a couple trips. I could have lived with the anchors and windows but the hubs tearing the fabric was unacceptable after 4 trips out.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:00 PM

Oh yeah 1 more thing the carrying bag stitching was coming undone when I first pulled it out of the box.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:57 PM

Has anyone seen or tried an eskimo shelter.

http://www.geteskimo.com/foundations...9149&tab=desc1
Old 09-03-2010, 03:29 PM

Default Eskimo

funny you mention Eskimo tents by far the best tent and i'm in the market for a quick fish 3 and if you want 4 people you'll need the quick fish 4 totally worth every penny so easy to set up and take down i have a tent right now and a shack i plan on selling both to get an Eskimo then life will be good !! Here Mr walleyyyyyyyyyyy!!--------------<*((((((((><
Old 09-08-2010, 05:56 AM

Has any one got the canadian tire ones? Was thinking about getting one of them as they are quite abit cheaper in cost. Or are they as the old saying is you pay for what you get.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:58 AM

We purchased a Canadian Tire one and have used it quite a bit with no complaints
Old 09-08-2010, 09:35 AM

The icecube is made by eskimo, same thing.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Fishingnutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegod74 View Post
My nly input here is to make sure that whatever you buy is on sale, and not just cheap. I had the "pleasure of helping set up a cheap tent. Not fun, and the first gust of wind snapped a pole in half and the whole thing crashed. When I was done laghing at the guy inside that looked like he was shrinkwrapped, we fished out of the windows of the truck.
Which by the way is about as comfortable and budget friendly as it gets.
Which reminds me,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fWzXNhfoQ8
Old 09-09-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Has any one got the canadian tire ones? Was thinking about getting one of them as they are quite abit cheaper in cost. Or are they as the old saying is you pay for what you get.
The Subzero, this is what I have. I used it lots last year and it has no damage. It is holding up very well, even after blowing across Spray lakes late in the season. Cudos to Brianscott for catching it.

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!