Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-07-2009, 12:11 AM

Default savage model 111 review (long action)

The weight of the rifle is almost unbeatable, 6.5 lbs, compared to other rifles of that price and caliber.
Compared to a Remington 710, the Savage is a better bargain and of higher quality for the price. I like the
quick removal of the bolt for cleaning and safety reasons. And seeing as thought it has a composite stock,
I enjoy knowing that it will take more abuse and show less of it than a wold stocked rifle.

the rifle calabers are 270, 30-06, 300 win mag
it came with bushnell sharpshooter 3-9x40 scope
the twist rate is 1in10"
the rifle is realy acreat it shoots 7 shoot groupings in 1 inch diamiter.
it does not have the acutrigger.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:22 AM

The savage certainly is a better gun than a 710,and it is normal for bolt actions to have a bolt that is quick and easy to remove.
As for the Bushnell Sharpshooter,they are a cheap,fairly low quality scope.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The savage certainly is a better gun than a 710,and it is normal for bolt actions to have a bolt that is quick and easy to remove.
As for the Bushnell Sharpshooter,they are a cheap,fairly low quality scope.
the scope holds its zero very well and it didnt let me down yet
Old 09-07-2009, 04:49 AM

if that rifle shoots 7 shots in a 1" group it's a keeper.

It's definitely better than a 710 but in reality it should be compared to a rem 700 SPS or a tikka t3 or something and I'll second elkhunter on the fact that the scope is crap even if
Quote:
It will sometime... and if it doesn't your got a KEEPER...

That said my grandpa's been using a Bushnell Banner for a long time and I've told him to put on a better scope but it's not broken yet and hes sorta cheap. He came from the iron sight age and doesn't beleive scopes should be anymore than $150.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
The key word is "YET".Just how long have you had this scope?

Quote:
That said my grandpa's been using a Bushnell Banner for a long time and I've told him to put on a better scope but it's not broken yet and hes sorta cheap. He came from the iron sight age and doesn't beleive scopes should be anymore than $150.
A Sharpshooter is by no means a Banner.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:23 AM

Default Just bought one!

Recently, I bought one of these packaged Savage rifles, a .243 in a youth model for the new hunters in my family.

I too am pretty impressed with the accuracy of this rifle. The shots were nice and consistent right out of the box-using the Winchester Super X ammo-least expensive brand! I have not bought too many rifles new, so maybe they all shoot that way now a days?

My rationale for buying it was based on the reviews on this forum over the past couple of years. If my daughters enjoy hunting, then, I will probably purchase another rifle and it might even be another Savage. And if the scope packs it in, then I will upgrade that as well. For now, the scope should be fine, I am hoping for a couple or three seasons out of it.

Aside from dropping it and other physical trauma . . . does anybody have any experience on the failure rate of scopes?

"It is not the shirt on the man, but rather the man in the shirt"
Old 09-07-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Aside from dropping it and other physical trauma . . . does anybody have any experience on the failure rate of scopes?
Some scopes never track properly or hold their zero as the magnification is changed when they are new,let alone after they have seen rough use.I have seen this with several low end scopes,but it is rare with the better quality scopes.As well,lower end scopes have inferior lens coatings that result in them not being very bright in low light situations.Some scopes fog up due to poor purging and sealing.I have seen crosshairs break and lenses come loose,or the adjustments let go,so that the point of impact changes on it's own,and can't be corrected.I have seen several scopes fail from recoil,and once again,all were lower end scopes.When they do fail,it is often suddenly,and the scope can become unusable immediately.The worst part is,that they may fail but give no indication of failure,and you may miss shots at game before suspecting a problem.In total,in over thirty years of shooting,I have probably seen a few dozen scopes fail in some way or another,of these probably a dozen were totally unusable as a result(crosshairs breaking,adjustment totally let go,scope fog up,scope go way out of focus etc).
Old 09-07-2009, 10:51 AM
gitrdun

Please don't compare ANY Savage to a Remington 710. The only thing that I'd compare the 710 is a fence post, and not even a good one at that. :

The black plastic stock that comes with it can easily be modified or "improved" to the standards of an "Accustock". I've been glass bedding, forend stiffening and modifying Savage synthetics for years now. They're easy to work with. IMHO, I'd chuck the scope and put a VXII on it, that the least your Savage deserves.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:24 PM

Default Savage 111

Had mine in a 300 win mag came with the simmons blazer 3x9. rifle was outstanding out of the box although the 6.5lb with the kick from a 300 felt like getting jabbed in the shoulder by a bare knuckle heavyweight fighter. The Simmons 3x9 was crap and the recoil seperated the reticle after about 60 rnds. First deer was taken out beyond 300 yds with a thru and thru dropped it within 50 ft. Accurate and reliable for the money but put decent glass on it. The only reason I sold it was to put better glass (Bushnell 3200 Elite 10 x 40) on my Savage 12FV (308 Win) and now i'm consistent in the killzone at 400+ with the kick of a 223.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edarsenault20 View Post
Had mine in a 300 win mag came with the simmons blazer 3x9. rifle was outstanding out of the box although the 6.5lb with the kick from a 300 felt like getting jabbed in the shoulder by a bare knuckle heavyweight fighter. The Simmons 3x9 was crap and the recoil seperated the reticle after about 60 rnds. First deer was taken out beyond 300 yds with a thru and thru dropped it within 50 ft. Accurate and reliable for the money but put decent glass on it. The only reason I sold it was to put better glass (Bushnell 3200 Elite 10 x 40) on my Savage 12FV (308 Win) and now i'm consistent in the killzone at 400+ with the kick of a 223.
let you know it has no recoil to speek of and i have the 7mm rem mag
Old 09-09-2009, 02:32 PM

I have a couple of Savages both with and without the accutriger-both are very good shooters.