Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 PM

Angry Victoria BC Continues Sending Raw Sewage to Sea

Canada flushes some 200 billion liters of raw sewage directly into natural waterways every year, from the St. Lawrence River to the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the Pacific Ocean. That’s only a fraction of the three trillion liters of sewage Canadians produce annually—about 6 percent, in fact—but it’s still enough to fill more than 40,000 Olympic-sized swimming pools.

For the misinformed, raw sewage is much more than human waste.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLAKER View Post
Canada flushes some 200 billion liters of raw sewage directly into natural waterways every year, from the St. Lawrence River to the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the Pacific Ocean. That’s only a fraction of the three trillion liters of sewage Canadians produce annually—about 6 percent, in fact—but it’s still enough to fill more than 40,000 Olympic-sized swimming pools.

thats pretty gross
Banned

you should be havn a pm w/ tri777

we just did this all day
Banned

Just about every city that is located along the coast does.

By comparisson Victoria is pretty darn small and the currents work in their favour.

Not sure why you singled out one very small city when there are much better examples that you could have used.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:15 PM

St John's harbour was a tourist attraction. People would go down just to see "the bubble" lol. It was pretty gross to look at the water if you were sailing out.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:24 PM
Gone Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLAKER View Post

Ya, it's food for crab, halibut etc.. enjoy your next seafood dinner,lol!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:32 PM

Default Actually...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
Just about every city that is located along the coast does.

By comparisson Victoria is pretty darn small and the currents work in their favour.

Not sure why you singled out one very small city when there are much better examples that you could have used.
There are no better examples of environmental hypocrisy. The residents of greater Victoria have elected the only "Green" MP (federally) and the only "Green" MLA (provincially) that exist in Canada. Yet they consistently resist the cost of treating their crap before they pump it out into a huge dead (now, due to the poop and related substances) zone in the Juan De Fuca Strait. There are other examples, yes, but none with a greater lack of justification and hypocrisy. It doesn't matter what the "currents" are - it is a mega amount of toxic crap being pumped directly into the ocean!! It is not a "small" amount at all - it is from a metropolitan area of 300,000 + people.
Amazing how the municipal authorities can talk out of both sides of their mouth when it comes to this (?). It is appalling, unjustified, and unnecessary in any context of modern government. I would love to see how E. May really thinks about this atrocious example of environmental irresponsibility. Or does that only apply to "conservative" ridings?
Old 06-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedlap View Post
There are no better examples of environmental hypocrisy. The residents of greater Victoria have elected the only "Green" MP (federally) and the only "Green" MLA (provincially) that exist in Canada. Yet they consistently resist the cost of treating their crap before they pump it out into a huge dead (now, due to the poop and related substances) zone in the Juan De Fuca Strait. There are other examples, yes, but none with a greater lack of justification and hypocrisy. It doesn't matter what the "currents" are - it is a mega amount of toxic crap being pumped directly into the ocean!! It is not a "small" amount at all - it is from a metropolitan area of 300,000 + people.
Amazing how the municipal authorities can talk out of both sides of their mouth when it comes to this (?). It is appalling, unjustified, and unnecessary in any context of modern government. I would love to see how E. May really thinks about this atrocious example of environmental irresponsibility. Or does that only apply to "conservative" ridings?
Right.

Well I suppose they'd probably be able to afford it if they weren't supplimenting every old fart in Canada that retires there.

The cost is prohibitive.
That is why nobody does it.

Its not as simple as just building a waste treatement plant.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:51 PM

Its actually easier than that they just have to part with some of their precious real estate lagoons are very effective or a plant with very little footprint can achieve phenomenal water quality
Old 06-14-2013, 09:53 PM

Default Raw sewage pipeline

We wanted to send it to alberta back through the pipe line that is still under discussion.I think it would be way better than pumping it into the ocean
Old 06-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog hunter View Post
Its actually easier than that they just have to part with some of their precious real estate lagoons are very effective
Sure... they just have to dig up and re-route half the pipe in the city...thats all...

Toronato has a nice setup though.
Tertiary treatment that leaves them with a growing waterfront and a source of revenue for the city.

Victoria could take a lesson from TO.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:55 PM

I was just thinking the exact same thing.

(what 444 said)
Old 06-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444 marlin View Post
We wanted to send it to alberta back through the pipe line that is still under discussion.I think it would be way better than pumping it into the ocean
1st....you need to speak concisely to make a point.
2nd....Im from Chilliwack
3rd...you cant stop the influx of garbage no matter where you live...unless your a politician...which most if not all on AOF are NOT!!!
4th....the world is beyond saving....and dats a fact
Old 06-14-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Sure... they just have to dig up and re-route half the pipe in the city...thats all...

Toronato has a nice setup though.
Tertiary treatment that leaves them with a growing waterfront and a source of revenue for the city.

Victoria could take a lesson from TO.
Catch it at the discharge and pump it where ever they like
Old 06-14-2013, 10:47 PM

Porcelin throne discharge to the sea! Any way you smell it... It's just plain crappy.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Right.

Well I suppose they'd probably be able to afford it if they weren't supplimenting every old fart in Canada that retires there.

The cost is prohibitive.
That is why nobody does it.

Its not as simple as just building a waste treatement plant.
What a bunch of peasants. Good job Victoria, your sewage system is comparable to that of Bangladesh.

The only big cities in Canada that flush raw sewage into the oceans are Victoria, Montreal, Halifax , and St. John's. the latter two have treatment centre about to open.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:09 PM

Actually I think the one in St John's is up and running. When I was home last summer I don't remember the smell and the flocks if gulls that used it as a smorgos board of tastey treats
Old 06-14-2013, 11:13 PM
Banned

Victoria is giving Canada a bad reputation. Trying to drag us into 3rd world conditions.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:23 PM
Banned

That reminds me......What's happening on the west coast with all that s**t that is floating over from Japan?
Old 06-15-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
That reminds me......What's happening on the west coast with all that s**t that is floating over from Japan?
Saw nothing extra when fishing.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-15-2013, 09:02 AM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

OR...they could do it like Bejing China. Haul it out to the fields where it is used as fertilizer. Grow fruits and vegetables then sell it to North Americans because they are so stupid they buy ANYTHING because it is a dollar cheaper than what they make at home. You know...the home where they have all those silly regulations telling them what they can and cannot do with sewage, and nuclear waste, and chemical waste etc etc etc.
Regards,
Dave
Old 06-15-2013, 09:05 AM

I spent the better half of my life working for DFO on the island. I dealt with Victoria's sewage issues on a daily basis. Yes they do flush raw sewage into the ocean; but, they do not flush all their sewage. Any new developments have sewage treatment. The only sewage that gets flushed to sea is in areas where the sewage pipes are shared with the storm drains.

The co-mingling of their sewage and storm water runoff is the big problem. In order for them to treat 100% of their sewage they would have to replace a large number of their storm sewers and sewage drains throughout the city and replace them with separate systems. That will never happen. Waste from the combined systems have been grandfathered and permitted to flush to sea. Newer systems that have separate lines are not allowed to flush to sea.

That said, yes we do charge The City of Victoria fairly regularly for dumping raw sewage from non-permitted drains. They are dealing with an old problem as best as they can. In my opinion doing it quite well.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Through what?

Pipes... once again requiring some significant excavation.

Victoria isn't Alberta... its built on a big freaking rock,

So you go overland and up a significant grade to a facility built on some scrap of land miles away and hopefully not too near a salmon stream... then pump it back for discharge or... you start trying to scratch through a lot of rock.

Trust me... I'm pretty familiar with Victorias water and sewar system.

Its a big issue there...people want it but there are some very large hurdles in the way.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Through what?

So you go overland and up a significant grade to a facility built on some scrap of land miles away and hopefully not too near a salmon stream... then pump it back for discharge or... you start trying to scratch through a lot of rock.

Its a big issue there...people want it but there are some very large hurdles in the way.

In the mean time they are struggling just trying to maintain an adequate fresh water supply and the old pipes and valves.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Through what?

Trust me... I'm pretty familiar with Victorias water and sewer system.

In the mean time they are struggling just trying to maintain an adequate fresh water supply and the old pipes and valves.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:23 AM

They barge the garbage out & dump it the chuck as well.
Few years ago the co. that did this got charged for dumping too close.
Must have been trying to save fuel ? Rough waters ?
Never did hear (read) the reasons.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Actually I think the one in St John's is up and running. When I was home last summer I don't remember the smell and the flocks if gulls that used it as a smorgos board of tastey treats
Yes, St John's and surrounding municipalities sewage water is treated.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
They barge the garbage out & dump it the chuck as well.
Few years ago the co. that did this got charged for dumping too close.
Must have been trying to save fuel ? Rough waters ?
Never did hear (read) the reasons.
Victoria has a landfill.

Might be that they also transport some to other places.... the same way many towns do but they stopped dumping at sea in 1958 after doing so for about 50 years.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Victoria has a landfill.

Might be that they also transport some to other places.... the same way many towns do but they stopped dumping at sea in 1958 after doing so for about 50 years.
Nope, they still dump at sea. There are designated deep water sites where certain types of approved refuse may be dumped.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Through what?

Yeah I understand and it is extremely frustrating I have worked in a few small towns and big cities this country's infrastructure is falling apart it is the cause of all my stress and grey hair,quality is job one for me,directors hate me,councillors fear me but I cant do it anymore,5 more days and I can burn all my certification,what a waste but my mental health is more important(whats left anyway)dont let this scare anyone drinking water quality is job one for all operators i have met but we're burning out