Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2014, 09:03 PM

Default Langdon Alberta question

I have a job offer in Calgary with the company I work for in Fort Mac to transfer there to work. If I take this job me and my wife were looking at Langdon as the place we would like to live. I had a quick look at homes there Friday and really liked it there but never had much time to check out around the area. I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little about the town. What's the area like for hunting, fishing, quadding, sledding, camping, traffic, crime, etc? Thanks
Old 01-25-2014, 09:35 PM

It's downwind from Calgary's smog and industrial pollution.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
It's downwind from Calgary's smog and industrial pollution.
good reply???? bet you are a ton of laughs at a party, to the OP, wwbirds and a couple other members from here live there, I am sure they will chime in with better responses
Old 01-25-2014, 09:47 PM

Guess if you were here looking at houses you noticed it is prairie so for most part hunting in immediate area is birds and waterfowl. Private land and is so close to Calgary sometimes the landowners get tired of being pestered on Saturday morning. Develop your landowner relations in the off season. Seen some snowmobiles on private land and assumed it was owners or friends as not crown land anywhere near so assume same for quads.
Fishing is the legendary Bow river 15 minutes south. Big game you are close enough to the mountains and the prairie zones to the east.
Crime has been limited to random break ins and some vandalism to my knowledge. Shoot me a PM if you have more specific questions or concerns.

Rob
Old 01-25-2014, 09:50 PM

well most of the houses north east of RR ave and south of glenmore trl
were built on a bog area ,
there was sink holes all over that part of town ,we called them soup holes and a lot of foundations are cracking and floors heaving, my best friend built there and had to replace his basement floor twice, so he sold and built on the south end where the old feed lot was that's why they tried draining grass lake in the late 60's early 70's only for it to never dry up so now they flooded it again.
I grew up in Langdon when there was only 23 houses in the town and, the area south was a feedlot I here there is a golf course on part of the old feed lot now
Old 01-25-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
good reply???? bet you are a ton of laughs at a party, to the OP, wwbirds and a couple other members from here live there, I am sure they will chime in with better responses
Reckon you're a smog denier too.
Or ya just boozin' again?
Old 01-25-2014, 10:46 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
Reckon you're a smog denier too.
Or ya just boozin' again?
yup I am, and nope....just tired of your useless comments
Old 01-25-2014, 10:57 PM

Thumbs up Langdon

Fortunately, they removed the old pile of buffalo bones a few years ago

Things are a little different now ... http://www.rockyview.ca/Portals/0/Fi...nity-Guide.pdf

Mac
Old 01-26-2014, 08:49 AM

Smile It is not a town...

It is a Hamlet in the County of Rocky View, it has piped water and sewr connections and if you are just getting into country living that is the best way to start. There are lots of activities for the kids, good schools too. You can hunt to the east on you on the "3" lakes, Eagle, Namaka and Stobart" Sotbart is on the Siksika reserve, and they will sell you a licence if you want. It is expensive but if there are a group of your friends it would be O.K. The ducks and geese are fantastic.

Don't shoot at the swans!
Old 01-26-2014, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_cant_rope_the_wind View Post
well most of the houses north east of RR ave and south of glenmore trl
were built on a bog area ,
there was sink holes all over that part of town ,we called them soup holes and a lot of foundations are cracking and floors heaving, my best friend built there and had to replace his basement floor twice, so he sold and built on the south end where the old feed lot was that's why they tried draining grass lake in the late 60's early 70's only for it to never dry up so now they flooded it again.
I grew up in Langdon when there was only 23 houses in the town and, the area south was a feedlot I here there is a golf course on part of the old feed lot now
From experience I can say the golf course sucks.It is a links style coure and it is a dog track which never gets sprayed for mosquitos.Last time I played it I had 4 coats of deep woods off on me and it was like a sugar coating for the blood suckers.

FTH
Old 01-26-2014, 10:07 AM

Thanks everyone for your help. Langdon definitely sounds like its the right area for us to live. Goose and duck hunting are my favourite hunts to do and I noticed it's all prairie land also I won't be shooting at any swans though Densa44 lol. The sledding and quadding is not so much a big deal because I don't mind towing them to an area where it's legal to right them. Wwbirds if we make this move I would be interested in one of your bird hunts and some training for my chocolate lab also if that's something you do. Macleod thanks very much for sharing that link with me. I think it pretty much showed and explained every single thing I could ever need to know about Langdon.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by From The Hip View Post
From experience I can say the golf course sucks.It is a links style coure and it is a dog track which never gets sprayed for mosquitos.Last time I played it I had 4 coats of deep woods off on me and it was like a sugar coating for the blood suckers.

FTH
The golf course is not really a big deal for me as I never have played golf. I would like to give it a try someday though because I heard once you play golf your hooked and I love sports.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:11 AM

If you want a really cool past time , contact
wwbirds I hear he is looking for some help on the pheasant farm might even be able to trade work for hunts!
Cat
Old 01-26-2014, 10:14 AM

Default stop in next time you are down this way

Can show you the surrounding area and take a look at the lab with you.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:20 AM

Default Langdon

Hi Jeff,
I moved my family to Langdon from Calgary almost 7 years ago. It's the best thing we have done. The school is great. The town is pretty laid back with a bit of a "redneck" vibe. On most weekends someone is riding a sled or quad through town to hit the fields. During waterfowl season you will wake up to far off shotguns every Saturday and Sunday. During the summer frogs will sing you sleep. As far as crime goes the worst that we have had happen is people going through unlocked vehicles looking for cash and iPods. Hasnt happened for a while. My wife complains about the shopping from time to time, especially in winter. But you just have to plan better. Every neighbor we have met has been great. People are very helpful with shoveling or pushing you out if stuck.

When we lived in Calgary I had a 60-75 minute commute now it's 25, but I work in the SE.

If your around and want to grab a coffe or beer let me know!