Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-13-2010, 11:32 AM

Default Release Types

I have been shooting bows for over 25+ and have tried all types of bows, sights, arrows, rests, stabilzers and whatever else you can tinker with. I was taking a look at everything in the case the other day before the 3D shoot here and it dawned on me that I have been shooting the same release for 16 years! It's a straight shank Cobra, that still works like the day it was bought! I was noticing at the shoot that prob 50% are using either thumb release, back tension, or hing releases.
So I went to the archery shop and tried out a Carter Thumb release, which felt very contorted at first, but I can see the merit in them with practice.

Here is my question, who uses what type and release and what make>? I'm going to try out a few more but thought I would get some ideas from all you guys as well.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Banned

only 7 seasons under my belt but using must be one of the first fletch hunters ever sold (a gift from an old bowhunter from the nail polish on the brass pins days) and i love it much more than the scott little gooses etc. i ended up using as back ups etc. and then my buddy comes over the other day with a truball st360 and i draw my bow back, then my way, then the st360 etc. etc. and my anchor felt 10x more solid with the st360....after talking to him and reading more on these 'handles' i've got a truball pro diamond and pro diamond extreme coming...just two different lengths on head so i have some flexibility matching draw length on new bow coming my way...so just on anchor alone i was sold...i have no doubt i will be happy when i actually drop string with them

and in reading tons on archery lately you see lots of posts that get going about how to tighten up groups and starting to see more and more guys advising to try 'handles' and they feel will help majority of shooters? apparently very good at reducing or eliminating target panic also...

so i can't wait to get going with mine which are a bit more hunter friendly than the st360 which you cock first, with mine the jaws are spring loaded by the thumb trigger so you can hang it from the d-loop if you want but much quieter/simpler operation for hunting situations than the st360 but i wouldn't hesitate to try that st360 if i was competative etc.

have fun with it, thats my plan
Old 01-13-2010, 12:51 PM

I currently shoot a Carter Evolution which is a Back tension release .I absoluely love it .. The thing with BT s is that it forces you to aim and stay cocentrated on your target !!

I also have a Chocolate addiction by carter and also a target master which are both thumb releases .. these are also great releases !!

Just try as many as you can cause you will find that you will like some better tahn others .. good luck
Old 01-13-2010, 11:46 PM

I have had three release's over the last 14 years. my newest is another Scott product called the Stingray, i bought this one because i was getting a sore wrist, and this one help's because it a "T" bar style that you hold the wait with your fingers. you can't go wrong with any Scott release.
But my old favorite hunting release (with D loop) is the short and sweet bye Trueball.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:09 PM

I'm using a scott shark. i love the thing the trigger is extremely sensitive which i like.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta_Redneck View Post
I'm using a scott shark. i love the thing the trigger is extremely sensitive which i like.
x2
Old 01-14-2010, 09:05 PM

I'm thinkin of the Carter Just B Cause, or the Insatiable 3, tried out the first one and liked it, but am pretty limited to what there is to try in our pro shop here. I liked the idea that you can shoot it as a thumb release or as a modified back tension.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booner Sniper View Post
I'm thinkin of the Carter Just B Cause, or the Insatiable 3, tried out the first one and liked it, but am pretty limited to what there is to try in our pro shop here. I liked the idea that you can shoot it as a thumb release or as a modified back tension.
I just tried both those exact models at my local shop
and couldn't decide. I tried a Tru-Ball Boss series
with the swivel head which I liked (Carter's don't have that)
but my draw length was increased due to the longer head.
Awesome trigger on that one tho!!
I went back to the Carter's and ended up with the Insatiable 3.
Great release, nice and compact and the trigger is completely
adjustable. Just as nice as the Boss.
IMHO, I don't think anyone would regret buying any Tru-Ball
or Carter model. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithoutWarning View Post
I just tried both those exact models at my local shop
and couldn't decide. I tried a Tru-Ball Boss series
with the swivel head which I liked (Carter's don't have that)
but my draw length was increased due to the longer head.
i think the xtreme versions of these are 7/16" shorter in length

so far what i've read about the pro diamonds i'm going to try are great 'hunting' releases but guys who get used to the boss/xtreme series with the cocking bar is a very short trigger travel and the ability to basically back tension with them....so i may try the chappy boss or xtreme version of it also and see if i prefer that over the pro diamonds for hunting, at any rate one could be back up for the other in case of loss etc. i always have back ups for that sort of 'loseable' stuff
Old 01-15-2010, 06:24 PM

Well I have a brand new Chappy Boss that
you are welcome to try before I take it back.
I'm in Calgary, shoot me quick PM if you are.