Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-05-2007, 09:37 PM
huntinfishincampin

Default little bow

Just wondering how far little bow is from calgary. Have always fished east to calgary and am looking for some new spots. Does anybody have any close spots to calgary that hold good sized pike they know of?
Even a small pot hole lake would be fine for me. Just would like some place close to take the kids for the day.
Thanks for your input.

HFC
Old 02-06-2007, 05:30 PM
jrs

Default Pike

Twinvalley reservoir on the Littlebow is probably good if you're taking kids. Lots of little pike with a few bigger ones around. Travers and Littlebow are okay but not as productive number wise (size seems good most of the time however). Can't think of anything better than Twinvalley number wise.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:44 PM
lethalconnection

Default Re: Pike

Little bow is about 2-2 1/2 hour drive but if you want lots of lil pike i would say try Lost Lake which is still a bit east and maybe too much of a trip for yah, but also as jrs said try Twin Valleye, lots of pike in there too.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:49 PM
jrs

You fish much out at Lost Lake Lethal? We used to go out there all the time but the weed growth and water levels made it pretty unproductive for a year or two. I've been planning to check it out several times again for good times sake. Used to be lots of eater size pike and a few big females for release. Nice to see the lake mentioned again. If you've been there lately i wouldn't mind any comments.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:53 PM
lethalconnection

I havent been there lately but a few people i know have been and they had lots of success not sure where they were fishin on the lake but they said they didnt have too much trouble with weeds but im guessing during the summer it is horrible to fish.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:40 PM
dodger

Little Bow is the slowest i have ever seen. It may be having a winter kill problem. No fishing pressure but the fishing has died off completely. Last 3 times out never saw a fish all day.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:15 PM
jrs

Thanks lethal, i'll be taking a trip out there soon, i've been promising a friend some pike fishing but some health problems mean i better find somewhere i can drive him right up to the hole (for a couple more weeks as well). I know were some good spots from the past are so if i make it i'll let you know how it is also.

And Dodger, where were you fishing at? I was out last Sunday and had a few tags up. I noticed there biting really light but were hanging out fairly deep (10-15 feet). I think it should be picking up in the next couple weeks as they start to think of fattening up for the spawn. THe water seemed to be really nice and clear and no foul odor where i set up (unlike CPR). I mentioned it in another post but i had a very large pike up to the hole (darn single barbless!!). I did not notice another ice fishing hole anywhere either, no pressure.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:14 AM
dodger

Default Little Bow

I was fishing the N.W. shoreline this winter. Fished in 8' to 20' of water. The lake has been the slowest i have seen in the last 20 years and i fish it almost every other weekend. I do not keep any fish and have not witnessed any fishing pressure. Others have noticed the decline in there fishing trips there over the last few years.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:44 AM
jrs

Default Littlebow

Interesting, hopefully its just a cycle. I know there were lots of very small pike hanging out in the fall and a few big ones. I wonder whats up. I'll try to get out and try a few different spots. I was over by the boat launch but the fishing never is really that great there. I wonder if any major fish removal has been occuring by any means.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:51 PM
little bow

Default little bow

This lake has become much less productive over the last six to seven years,I can only relate the decline from an ice fishing aspect as I don't fish it in the open water season.The fishing pressure seems about the same, in fact there would appear to be less anglers than in past years.Has commercial fishing had an impact,it seems to be very poorly regulated in terms of accurately assessing the species and poundage of fish taken.As far as I am concerned I realy don't see any lakes in Southern Alberta capable of supporting heavy sport angling, and the added burdon of netting.How much money do they put back into the resource anyway?
Old 02-07-2007, 09:33 PM
dodger

Good comment buckman on the money invested into southern Alberta lakes. I know that Little Bow is listed for commercial fishing but i have never seen it take place? I have been to McGregor and seen the nets out and have seen how it throws the lake off balance until spring. Someone mentioned to me that about 4 years ago the Pike population was stressed in Little Bow and needed thinning out. Never heard if this was done by lowering the water level or not. All i do know is that it was a great place away from the crowds and had great fishing. But now it has gone down the toilet in a very short period.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:20 PM
netters

Default netters

It gets netted allright,I seen have the frozen over holes and all of the weeds that got dragged up onto the ice.My buddy has seen there leavings on the lakeshore, suckers mostly. I know the fishing seems to get very slow after they are done.Is it just my observation or are most of the Calgary area lakes that are netted in decline.Pine is not commercially fished, gets alot of angling pressure but still fishes well.Hopefully netting wont be allowed on Twin Valley I think it has excellent potential.