Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2017, 12:24 PM

Default Ban Ski's

Did you know there are more deaths per year due to skiing snowboarding and tobboganning then guns each year in Cananda? Why arent we banning SKi's?

Executive Summary

A total of 45 skiing, snowboarding and tobogganing related deaths dating from 1991 – 2012 were reviewed. Skiing was the sport involved in the majority of fatalities, (34 cases, 76%), with tobogganing (6 cases, 13%) and snowboarding (5 cases, 11%) fatalities occurring less frequently.

In 35 of the cases, (78%), the decedent was male. The highest proportion of fatalities was among those aged 17 years or younger, (40%). Deaths occurred throughout the winter season from November to April; however, the majority of deaths occurred during the months of February and March with 17 cases (38%) and 16 cases (36%), respectively. On average, death was found to occur slightly more frequently on weekdays, with the highest number of occurrences on Wednesday through Friday (60%).

Those individuals classified as ‘highly experienced’ in their winter sport activity, through instruction and/or family reporting, had the highest fatality rate at 14 cases (31%). The majority of fatal incidents occurred during social-type outings with friends or family, in 37 cases (82%). Five fatalities (11%) occurred during a school organized event, two incidents occurred in other scenarios (4%) and one case (2%) was during a competitive event.

In 24 of the cases (53%), death occurred due to collision with a tree or multiple trees. Medical care and/or surgery was performed in 30 cases (67%) and death was most frequently pronounced in hospital (37 cases, 82%). Alcohol and/or drug use, by the deceased, confirmed via post-mortem testing, was a factor in seven cases (15%). The most frequent cause of death was head injury (22 cases, 50%) followed by multiple injuries (13 cases, 30%). The use of a helmet was confirmed in 11 cases (24%)

http://www.mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca/engli...th_review.html

Gun deaths 1.97 per year

https://www.google.ca/search?q=guin+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

OOPS its even worse than I thought these are only statistics for Ontario not all of Canada. Its even worse than I thought we really need to do something about this. I need to go to facebook and post this so i can virtue signal.

Last edited by markg; 11-08-2017 at 12:31 PM.