Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-19-2014, 12:00 PM

Default Transducer Mounting

Hey where is everyone mounting their transducers?? And what are you using to do so? Ive looked at a few products but not sure where to go with it. I dont want to permanently attach it to the boat, so trying to avoid drilling. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2014, 01:42 PM

All depends on your boat what you can rig up if you don't want to just permanently attach it.

I just got a new fish finder and have to figure out something similar but it is going to be a pain since I want to use it on both boat and kayak.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:08 PM

I rigged up my transducer mount with 2 about 2.5-3 inch suction cups and it worked pretty good. I also tied a piece of stout twine to it about 2 ft long and tied it to the back of the boat, so that if the cups lost suction the transducer wasn't only hanging on by the transducer cord. The rear of my fishing boat had handles so I had something to tie the twine to.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:12 PM

I know lots just use an epoxy glue of some sort and swear by it....personally I like to have it screwed to the boat. I cringe at the thought of drilling into the hull of a boat, but it has to be done.

I know more and more guys are screwing a Teflon block to their boats. Its about an inch thick by 3-4 inches high and 8-10 long. Then they can screw numerous add on's onto the block and remove and replace. That way they are always screwing into the block and not the hull. Hope that helps...good luck
Old 04-19-2014, 02:17 PM

personally I would drill. scary thought but done right is your best way. key is only drilling once. hockey puck board you can buy pretty well anywhere with some sealant. this way over allot of years, ever need to change up electronics or gadgets your only screwing into the transom board, not your boat. If dead against, then suction cup
Old 04-19-2014, 03:02 PM

Transducer board. Can buy for about 20.00. Can mount the board with epoxy and 2 screws or just epoxy(4200 or 5200). then mount to board not boat. Or this:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Porta...h-All+Products

or

http://www.titelok.com/category-s/1821.htm

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:03 PM

As I said it all depends on your boat. I used my old fish finder on two different boats without permanently installing it. Had it screwed onto a board that I could wedge in handle on the back of the boat.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
I rigged up my transducer mount with 2 about 2.5-3 inch suction cups and it worked pretty good. I also tied a piece of stout twine to it about 2 ft long and tied it to the back of the boat, so that if the cups lost suction the transducer wasn't only hanging on by the transducer cord. The rear of my fishing boat had handles so I had something to tie the twine to.
I did the same thing. Bought the suction cup at the Fishing Hole. Same department as the fish finders. Also attached a cord from the transducer to the boat. Works awesome.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:28 PM

JB weld
Old 04-19-2014, 06:50 PM
Gone Hunting

I just use the supplied bracket and screw it to the transom.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-19-2014, 07:33 PM

suction cup. dont think a solid mount would last long the way I hit stuff in the river

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-20-2014, 06:49 AM

thanks for the replies I will take them into consideration forsure. I just have a 14' aluminum boat but again wasnt to keen on drilling into it. I had seen this mounting system that used a high power magnet but still unsure, I will have to stop by some of the stores and see what they have in stock that is going to be compatable.. Also when I mount I want the transducer just under the bottom of the boat correct?? the reason Im worried about drilling into it and not being able to remove it upon taking the boat out of the lake is the possible damaging of the transducer in the process/
Old 04-20-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Baitcaster View Post
thanks for the replies I will take them into consideration forsure. I just have a 14' aluminum boat but again wasnt to keen on drilling into it. I had seen this mounting system that used a high power magnet but still unsure, I will have to stop by some of the stores and see what they have in stock that is going to be compatable.. Also when I mount I want the transducer just under the bottom of the boat correct?? the reason Im worried about drilling into it and not being able to remove it upon taking the boat out of the lake is the possible damaging of the transducer in the process/
The transducer can be mounted just below water level. If you are running an electric then just get the mount that attaches to the motor.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Baitcaster View Post
Look at pictures in the manual. It will show how much needs to be below the transom. Most have a kick up feature. Lowrance ducers can be tilted up for trailering. As I said, you could buy a transducer board for $20.00ish and permanently glue it(the board) on with 4200 or 5200 available at CT in the marine section. Then screw transducer/mount to the transducer board(no holes in boat).

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:30 AM

I don't like drilling into the hull either. When I had a 14'er I used a suction cup mount, as I didn't leave my electronics on the boat when not in use, worked just fine. Easy to adjust the height so you get proper readings and somewhat forgiving if the transducer gets bumped. After a while the cup will leave a mark on the aluminum so it easy to get it back in the same spot.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:43 AM

Best is to epoxy a small piece of wood to the back side of your boat then screw your transducer to it .
You never want to epoxy your transducer to the haul. As you need to remove it every winter . Weather below -30 for many hours will damage it .
Wish they would make plug on the transducer for removing it. Its a pain to pull that cord out every year with it .
Old 04-20-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Best is to epoxy a small piece of wood to the back side of your boat then screw your transducer to it .
You never want to epoxy your transducer to the haul. As you need to remove it every winter . Weather below -30 for many hours will damage it .
Wish they would make plug on the transducer for removing it. Its a pain to pull that cord out every year with it .
I believe that is a myth, many people store them on the boat outside and haven't had any issues. I have never seen a valid reason as to why cold weather would damage a transducer.

I wouldn't want to epoxy it to the hull either since you may want to remove it at some time.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:57 AM

When I had mine attached with the suction cups and after I had adjusted it so that I got a proper reading, I took a pencil and traced around each cup, so that it was always easy to mount in the same place and position.

Last edited by Big Red 250; 04-20-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:29 AM

Just use a price of flat bar 1/4"x1"x how ever long you need. Mount transducer to flat bar (with a 90 bent at the bottom) and use 2 c-clamps to clamp it to the transom. That way the depth is easily adjustable, can be installed and removed in seconds and be transfered from 1 boat to another. Used this for years on my canoe.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I believe that is a myth, many people store them on the boat outside and haven't had any issues. I have never seen a valid reason as to why cold weather would damage a transducer.

I wouldn't want to epoxy it to the hull either since you may want to remove it at some time.
Have left mine on my boat for years all winter with no issues....
Old 04-21-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Have left mine on my boat for years all winter with no issues....
yup.

never removed a transducer for the winter.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:44 AM

I have used the transom mount and post from an old electric motor. Just took the motor off, ran the transducer wire up through the tube then bolted the bracket to the down tube. worked awesome as it was fully adjustable and easy to remove for use on another boat.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:56 PM

Mount a transducer plate, 6"x12", made of puck board, using 2 small screw, well sealed with 3M 5200, in the drilled our holes, to your hull. These 2 screws only need to be about 1/4" to 1/2" longer than dimension equal to your hull thickness, and the board.

You can seal the inside of your hull with more 5200 where the screws protrude through the hull.

Run a extra bead in a circle around the screw hole locations in the board, on the side touching your transom, around the screw itself for added insurance.

Mount your transducer to that board with screws shorter than the thickness of that board - that way you only have 2 very well sealed holes in your transom that are unlikely to leak.

In the future you can add other transducers, or switch the one you have, move the position of the transducer, or add a side imaging transducer if you upgrade your fish finder, etc... without adding holes to your boat.

All of my tinners used this transom plate idea ......... never a leak ........

On another note - there are ideal locations to mount your transducer - between the strakes, 12"-15" to the right of your motor as there is less turbulence nearest a conventional rotating propeller. The center line of the transducer should be level with your hull on the inboard side for best imaging and best clarity.

a 1/8" difference in height and/or 2" difference in left to right can improve/reduce your resolution and performance by more than 50%.

I have fixed many "problems" with fish finders simply by properly re-positioning the transducer.

Having a board mounted on the back of your boat allows you to make adjustments without adding more holes.

Last edited by EZM; 04-21-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
If you want to remove your transducer every year just get an extension cable for your transducer and have the connection at the back of the boat, really simple to just unhook every year. I don't remove mine either though.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
suction cup. dont think a solid mount would last long the way I hit stuff in the river
Solid mount with a kick up bracket works great on the river.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:05 AM

Last edited by cube; 04-22-2014 at 11:09 AM. Reason: delete
Old 04-22-2014, 01:09 PM

I have never removed my transducers in the winter and have not had any issues. It does not say anything on the manuals about cold weather effecting the transducers.

To be honest - never heard of that being an issue.

I know some guys take the head units out of the boat - that makes sense if you are not in a covered space.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I have never removed my transducers in the winter and have not had any issues. It does not say anything on the manuals about cold weather effecting the transducers.

To be honest - never heard of that being an issue.

I know some guys take the head units out of the boat - that makes sense if you are not in a covered space.
It was a Lowrance thing about 6-7 years ago. They had a really bad run of transducers and tried to say that it was because anglers were leaving them on their boat in the winter. Lots of the tournament guys were running the extension so you could switch them out quick, if they failed (which happened a lot) during the tournament. I had older units at that time, and the transducer worked fine, but during that nightmare is when I switched to the birds.