Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-20-2014, 02:54 PM

Default River floating in red deer area

I am looking info or to talk with someone who has some experience on floating the rivers in the Red Deer area. I have sit-on-top kayaks and looking to do some trips this year. Looking at the Red Deer itself , the Little Red, maybe the Clearwater. Decent put ins and take outs, times/distances, dangers, etc. Not looking for your secret fishing spots, just info for the floats. I'd like to do some fishing, but also just floats with my wife. Any info would be greatly appreciated or PM me and we can talk over a coffee. Possibly looking for someone to go with once in a while as well.

Thanks for the info
Jon
Old 04-20-2014, 10:07 PM

Default Red Deer River

My favorite float is from RR20 down to the Highway 54 bridge. It is less than 15 minute shuttle and you get a nice easy 4 hour paddle (add extra time for fishing). The reach has lots of sweepers ( don't use vertical rod holders!!!) and a few faster sections with the odd standing wave (class 1 at normal flow). It is a scenic float with lots of fish species. The goldeye run in August can be spectacular. Pm me if you want any more details.

Tim
Old 04-20-2014, 10:19 PM
Banned

Cool

The area can also be plagued with a large proportion of less than respectful jetboat users. Respectful being the exception.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:48 PM

Default takeouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcartmell View Post
My favorite float is from RR20 down to the Highway 54 bridge. It is less than 15 minute shuttle and you get a nice easy 4 hour paddle (add extra time for fishing). The reach has lots of sweepers ( don't use vertical rod holders!!!) and a few faster sections with the odd standing wave (class 1 at normal flow). It is a scenic float with lots of fish species. The goldeye run in August can be spectacular. Pm me if you want any more details.

Tim
Tj
how are the put in and takeout points for a drift boat?
Old 04-21-2014, 09:39 PM
Banned

We have drifted from the Glennifer dam down to RR 20 I believe it was, that was before the flood a few years back though, so not sure the condition of the RR20 road now. We spent most of the day on the river, but I think it is about a 4 hour straight drift, with little to no paddling. Current was about 2.5-3 mph when we went.

Lots of nice water, like mentioned a few sweepers but overall a pretty easy drift. Only caught one brown, but lots of rockies.
Pic of one of my sons on that drift
Old 04-21-2014, 10:40 PM

You needed a 4x4 at the put in and takeout last year. The rr20 location was hit hard by the flood and has been in rough shape since 2005. The gravel bar at Hwy 54 bridge was very soft. I launch kayaks so not an issue for me.

Tim
Old 04-22-2014, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the info so far people. Any body got any experience with the Little Red, Clearwater, or Red Deer above the dam?
Old 04-23-2014, 09:37 AM
Suspended User

The Clearwater river can be dangerous to say the least. Many submerged trees as well as fallen trees laying into the water. Not the best float, but some good fishing.
Have been down the Red Deer from the dam to the Penhold bridge. Fairly safe float for the most part. Only did a little upstream of the dam. Was some rough water.
There isn't anyone doing vehicle shuffling around anymore. So you will need a partner for that.
The gravel at the Innisfail bridge is really loose and people are getting stuck fairly often. Once again access is a problem.
Good luck.