Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-22-2014, 03:39 PM

Default Athabasca/horse rivers near ft mcmurray

What type of fish are in these rivers and has anyone tried fishing them from the shorlines? What type of tackle/baits you use? Gonna try some evening fishing trips here after work once the ice breaks up.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:32 PM

Hello
From the regulations for zone NB4 below. Be sure to check the regs. The regs also say what species occur in the listed rivers. As horse river isn't listed I imagine it would have similar species as the Athabasca since it's a tributary. Pike, grayling and whitefish maybe. Note the Horse River would not be open for fishing till June 1. I don't have experience fishing this area but I believe people do well from shore in town in the Athabasca! After June 1 when it's open I bet the Horse River might be great grayling fishing. Try small spinners for grayling. Good luck!

Athabasca River
River
Open all year – Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Walleye limit 0 from Apr. 1 to May 31, and 3 over 43 cm from June 1 to Mar. 31; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Burbot limit 10; Goldeye limit 10; Arctic Grayling limit 2 over 35 cm (Arctic Grayling limit 0 from Sept. 1 to Oct. 31).
Tribuatries except Clearwater and Hangingstone rivers
June 1 to Oct. 31 – Walleye limit 3 over 43 cm; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10; Goldeye limit 10; Arctic Grayling limit 2 over 35 cm (Arctic Grayling limit 0 from Sept. 1 to Oct. 31); Bait allowed.
Nov. 1 to May 31 – CLOSED
Old 04-22-2014, 06:38 PM

Default Depends

Athabasca is open all year and there is some deep water above and below where the horse river ties in. Walleye and some pike there . Whites in the fall. Hanging stone opens later and while it holds all kinds of fish I only catch grayling. Refer to the ladies post above on dates and be sure if you are fishing the Athabasca that your aren't casting up into the horse until its fair game.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:15 PM

That takes me back a few years, I used to fish the Athabasca from shore down by the golf course on the north west corner of Mac island, not sure if that road is still there though and by the water treatment plant, pickerel jig and worms did really well for me back then. Been a few years since I fished it though. Caught my first walleye and pike out of that river
Old 04-23-2014, 05:49 AM

Thanks for all the info peeps
Old 04-23-2014, 06:07 AM

There are lots of decent places to fish around Ft. Mcmurray from shore, the mouth of the Clearwater, at the golf course, the water treatment plant - this is for the big gear crowd because of the type of structure ( Steps of lime rock) and one has to learn a certain technique so as not to lose a bunch of gear every time you cast!
Waterways for the Clearwater is also a good spot.
Walking down from Abasand to the mouth of the Horse, etc.
However, as was stated, stay out of the creek mouths until they are open!!
Cat