Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-26-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit Snarer View Post
No, not complaining at all, just don't like to see an execution referred to as hunting. For those who do consider it a "hunt" for a "black rhino" on 22,000 km that's fine with me, everyone's idea of hunting is different.
So how many square km would it take for you to consider a hunt a hunt? I chase WT on 160 acres and its more than enough of a hunt for me......

If 2200 isn't enough for you, I'm not sure where you do your hunting?
Old 05-26-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
No, not complaining at all, just don't like to see an execution referred to as hunting. For those who do consider it a "hunt" for a "black rhino" on 22,000 km that's fine with me, everyone's idea of hunting is different.
How is a hunt that took place with a free range animal on a 22 000 Sq km piece of land an execution? Why is it killing and not hunting? Sounds like fair chase principals were used, game was not domesticated nor was there a fence. This was not a canned hunt.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
So how many square km would it take for you to consider a hunt a hunt? I chase WT on 160 acres and its more than enough of a hunt for me......

If 2200 isn't enough for you, I'm not sure where you do your hunting?
The area he hunted was 5.5 million acres, I agree there was likely room to hide lol
Old 05-26-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Please disregard my comments, I have been drinking a lot lately. Sorry.
Sorry to hear this. If you need to talk, we are here for you.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:40 AM

5.5 mill....... Yep you could probably hide a couple rabbits in there too........
Old 05-26-2015, 08:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
The area he hunted was 5.5 million acres, I agree there was likely room to hide lol
pssssshhh probably had gates at the entrance
Old 05-26-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
pssssshhh probably had gates at the entrance
Actually if I remember correctly it does lol
Old 05-26-2015, 09:54 AM
Banned

Please disregard my comments, I have been drinking a lot lately. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Sorry to hear this. If you need to talk, we are here for you.
The above first post by Talking Moose impersonating me and posting me as apologizing for drinking is a complete fabrication and outright lie. I don't drink period and don't appreciate having my character completely misrepresented and smeared by an idiot. I have no idea how he managed to do this but anybody who would stoop so low should be permanently banned. I expect the mods to comment.

My remarks are all made in good faith and I stand behind them. I do not consider the killing of this rhino to be "hunting" in any sense of the word. If you do, and it appears the majority of you do, that's fine with me. If it is "hunting" then I'll stop referring to myself as a hunter.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:59 AM

Hunting is the practice of killing or trapping any animal, or pursuing it with the intent of doing so. Hunting wildlife or feral animals is most commonly done by humans for food, recreation, or trade. In present-day use, lawful hunting is distinguished from poaching, which is the illegal killing, trapping or capture of the hunted species. The species that are hunted are referred to as game and are usually mammals and birds.

Which part did Corey do that doesn't fall into this dictionary description??
And I'm interested to know what your definition is?
Old 05-26-2015, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
Hunting is the practice of killing or trapping any animal, or pursuing it with the intent of doing so. Hunting wildlife or feral animals is most commonly done by humans for food, recreation, or trade. In present-day use, lawful hunting is distinguished from poaching, which is the illegal killing, trapping or capture of the hunted species. The species that are hunted are referred to as game and are usually mammals and birds.

Which part did Corey do that doesn't fall into this dictionary description??
And I'm interested to know what your definition is?
It would be a waste of both your time and my time for me to try and explain what hunting means to me. You are missing so much.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:07 AM

My remarks are all made in good faith and I stand behind them. I do not consider the killing of this rhino to be "hunting" in any sense of the word. If you do, and it appears the majority of you do, that's fine with me. If it is "hunting" then I'll stop referring to myself as a hunter.[/QUOTE]

Did you watch the video? Do you know who Corey Knowlton is? Have you ever been hunting before? Are you a hunter? What is your definition of hunting? Are you involved in any type of Conservation? I agree, please stop calling yourself a hunter, join PETA, and buy your meat at the grocery store. That is all.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:15 AM

Sure He's a "Hunter" However, I have a hard time believing the personal reasons of killing an animal like this are driven by anything more than ego, pride etc...

I do understand that the funds used for these hunts are whats protecting the animals. Seems very backwards but true none the less.

It's more on the personal level of the "hunter" that I don't get. I really don't buy that guys are spending this kind of cash to "save the animals" If that's the case I'd like to see how many would participate in these hunts without being able to take the Trophy home.

Too each their own...
Old 05-26-2015, 10:16 AM

Any one anyone makes negative comments about a hunting style that include phrases like " not hunting" or "it's not fair chase "or "ethical kill"
it's bound to start a chit storm!
The fact remains that if it is legal then whether or not someone is opposed to it is of little consequence no matter how pious they think their methods and ethics are.
Cat
Old 05-26-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
It would be a waste of both your time and my time for me to try and explain what hunting means to me. You are missing so much.
Instead of trying to come off elitist and sanctimonious in your posts, why can't you just post your opinion in black and white? Come down to our level and just say what you want to say.

It seems in your world, the only opinion that is correct is your own, and you are quick to jump on everybody else who disagree's with you.
You expect everyone to look up any research that supports your beliefs, but you never take the time to even look at others posted research.

In the end, I'm pretty sure you are right, and it would be a waste of my time and yours.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Any one anyone makes negative comments about a hunting style that include phrases like " not hunting" or "it's not fair chase "or "ethical kill"
it's bound to start a chit storm!
The fact remains that if it is legal then whether or not someone is opposed to it is of little consequence no matter how pious they think their methods and ethics are.
Cat
"If it's legal do it" - the new code of ethics and morality!

For those who can't think for themselves.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
The above first post by Talking Moose impersonating me and posting me as apologizing for drinking is a complete fabrication and outright lie. I don't drink period and don't appreciate having my character completely misrepresented and smeared by an idiot. I have no idea how he managed to do this but anybody who would stoop so low should be permanently banned. I expect the mods to comment.

My remarks are all made in good faith and I stand behind them. I do not consider the killing of this rhino to be "hunting" in any sense of the word. If you do, and it appears the majority of you do, that's fine with me. If it is "hunting" then I'll stop referring to myself as a hunter.

p.s. i'm very poopy today
hahahaha it's done like that

i think it's great what he did he paid more money than i paid for my house to be able to donate and conserve wildlife. further more he was able to strengthen a herd of endangered wildlife by removing a possible threat of a non breeding dangerous male. for consideration of his amazing donation (and make no mistake it is amazing) he is able to keep a trophy and some memories. even still all the money is going towards anti-poaching the number one killer of endangered animals.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo101 View Post
Sure He's a "Hunter" However, I have a hard time believing the personal reasons of killing an animal like this are driven by anything more than ego, pride etc...

I do understand that the funds used for these hunts are whats protecting the animals. Seems very backwards but true none the less.

It's more on the personal level of the "hunter" that I don't get. I really don't buy that guys are spending this kind of cash to "save the animals" If that's the case I'd like to see how many would participate in these hunts without being able to take the Trophy home.

Too each their own...
You do know the Rhino he shot had already killed another Rhino IIRC. The government had picked out 5 Rhino's that were problems and were killing other Rhino's not allowing the them to mature and hurting numbers.

Also because of all the negative feedback from the "Animal Lovers". The hunt raised significantly less then was hoped. The animal lovers because of their hatred towards someone killing a Rhino(doesn't matter that this Rhino was bad for the species as a whole) actually prevented more Rhinos from being saved from poaching.

Whether you agree with guided hunting in Africa or not, the fact remains that this was a good thing for the species. And as a conservationist that's something I could get behind. I know if I could help a species as a whole be stronger and help fund the fight against poaching I'd bid on a hunt, even if it wasn't my dream hunt.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:35 AM

Just curious how many African wardens 350,000.00 could employ for 1 year.... Think about that.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Just curious how many African wardens 350,000.00 could employ for 1 year.... Think about that.
a young park ranger just starting out reportedly makes less than $500 a month

so i guess that's only 58 full time rangers for one year lol
Old 05-26-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
You do know the Rhino he shot had already killed another Rhino IIRC. The government had picked out 5 Rhino's that were problems and were killing other Rhino's not allowing the them to mature and hurting numbers.

Also because of all the negative feedback from the "Animal Lovers". The hunt raised significantly less then was hoped. The animal lovers because of their hatred towards someone killing a Rhino(doesn't matter that this Rhino was bad for the species as a whole) actually prevented more Rhinos from being saved from poaching.

Whether you agree with guided hunting in Africa or not, the fact remains that this was a good thing for the species. And as a conservationist that's something I could get behind. I know if I could help a species as a whole be stronger and help fund the fight against poaching I'd bid on a hunt, even if it wasn't my dream hunt.
I do realize the positive's that come from these hunts. I just doubt the intentions I guess. Perhaps Corey's were in the right place...The fact that it takes the Trophy to get the funds, in most cases, tells me most intentions are for a Trophy. Why not just donate the funds....This case is a bit different if killing this particular animal will help the heard however. Could have been shot by a local but wouldn't bring the money.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
"If it's legal do it" - the new code of ethics and morality!

For those who can't think for themselves.
Let's get one thing straight here- I don't like you, I don't like most of your posts and never did because you come off as an arrogant holier than thou elitist.
That being said, many provinces , states and countries have laws that counter others , many are considered unethical or downright poaching to others - Southernman and his suppressor and no limits in NZ for example.

Baiting of bears , and the use of 22 caliber centre fires is another .
If you can't see past that then fine, but don't think that quoting me is going to make you right somehow, because of beluga - they are no more right than anybody else's.
Cat
Old 05-26-2015, 12:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Let's get one thing straight here- I don't like you, I don't like most of your posts and never did because you come off as an arrogant holier than thou elitist.
That being said, many provinces , states and countries have laws that counter others , many are considered unethical or downright poaching to others - Southernman and his suppressor and no limits in NZ for example.

Baiting of bears , and the use of 22 caliber centre fires is another .
If you can't see past that then fine, but don't think that quoting me is going to make you right somehow, because of beluga - they are no more right than anybody else's.
Cat
Cat: sorry if i confused you, i never thought for a second you liked me which is perfectly fine with me.

I did read an article from a CNN reporter that was on site during the "rhino hunt". Some comments he made.

They abandoned the original hunt because Knowlton felt it was too dangerous and drove to a second area where they found the rhino which was there already dead.

When they returned to the first [dangerous] area they found the animal and fired 4 shots at it from 30-40 feet. It ran off and they left it for one half to one hour. They followed up and upon finding it again "the final shots were fired". The meat was delivered to a nearby village which was ecstatic.

A Botswana government official said the rhino should have been relocated to where it was not a threat and would have contributed to tourism and education. He also stated Knowlton was not welcome in Botswana.

Knowlton is called the son of a multi millionaire who spends his life "hunting" around the world and setting up hunts for others.

You be the judge.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Cat: sorry if i confused you, i never thought for a second you liked me which is perfectly fine with me.

I did read an article from a CNN reporter that was on site during the "rhino hunt". Some comments he made.

They abandoned the original hunt because Knowlton felt it was too dangerous and drove to a second area where they found the rhino which was there already dead.

When they returned to the first [dangerous] area they found the animal and fired 4 shots at it from 30-40 feet. It ran off and they left it for one half to one hour. They followed up and upon finding it again "the final shots were fired". The meat was delivered to a nearby village which was ecstatic.

A Botswana government official said the rhino should have been relocated to where it was not a threat and would have contributed to tourism and education. He also stated Knowlton was not welcome in Botswana.

Knowlton is called the son of a multi millionaire who spends his life "hunting" around the world and setting up hunts for others.

You be the judge.
Why should anyone be the judge?.... especially you....
Old 05-26-2015, 12:28 PM
Banned

Quote:

i don't understand... is that a bad thing?

the hunt was called off because he was concerned about safety... good.

stalked the rhino through the bush and shot it at a very reasonable distance... good

made sure it was dead... good

millionaires son. truley none of my business, none of yours, although i am glad he's giving back with what he was given
Old 05-26-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Botswana stopped all hunting last year other then on private property. The poaching of ivory has increased in some areas by 1500% since the outfitters pulled out and the government is the only anti poaching organization now. You really want to listen to a country that has just made the same mistake as Kenya did ? Within 10 years their wildlife populations were decimated.

With that line of thinking we should be consulting pedophiles about reducing the age of consent for minors.

Your ignorance is staggering !
Old 05-26-2015, 01:56 PM
Banned

Default yep

Quote:
Botswana stopped all hunting last year other then on private property. The poaching of ivory has increased in some areas by 1500% since the outfitters pulled out and the government is the only anti poaching organization now. You really want to listen to a country that has just made the same mistake as Kenya did ? Within 10 years their wildlife populations were decimated.

With that line of thinking we should be consulting pedophiles about reducing the age of consent for minors.

^^^This!
Old 05-26-2015, 02:27 PM
Banned

Quote:

i don't keep up with the africa hunting scene but i learned that today

http://news.yahoo.com/botswanas-mara...055546007.html

apparently there is a lot of upset over this

"Hunting of elephants can be used as a way of sustainably generating revenue for elephant conservation," said Julian Blanc, from the Convention of International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES).

http://www.nwu.ac.za/content/nwu-exp...ampus-news-201
Old 05-26-2015, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:

You are such a wise man Torkdiesel - you should talk to CNN, I don't know Botswana from Ethiopia?.The conversation about reducing the age of consent for pedophiles does seem appropriate for you, is it on your mind? Why not just stagger back to your bunk and let the rig lulllll you to sleeeep. Good night.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:13 PM

you should stagger back to wherever you came from....
Old 05-26-2015, 03:23 PM
Banned

Default wow

Quote:
You are such a wise man Torkdiesel - you should talk to CNN, I don't know Botswana from Ethiopia?.The conversation about reducing the age of consent for pedophiles does seem appropriate for you, is it on your mind? Why not just stagger back to your bunk and let the rig lulllll you to sleeeep. Good night.
WOW, really classy bud. Some of the writing style in your posts sounds a lot like FishGunner? Not this post particularly, but your posts in general. You sound very uninformed and one sided, I doubt you are a hunter by anyone's definition and seem to just want to run you mouth from behind the safety of your keyboard. (those weren't comparisons to FG)