Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2017, 12:11 PM

Default Custom Knee Braces in Edmonton

Anyone have experience with shops providing custom knee braces in Edmonton. I need an orthotic for a damaged left knee --- partial torn ACL, complex tearing of meniscus and cartilage. I would be interested in hearing good and bad. Also if someone knows which shop gets the WCB referrals.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:20 PM

I'm using a set of these, I did a lot of research
Pretty hard to find a better brand ,

As for where in edm idk, the guy I got mine is out of innisfail

https://www.ossur.com/injury-solutio...ces/cti-custom
Old 03-18-2017, 12:23 PM

Default Worked for me....I'm Happy

I went to a place in Kelowna it was great. Consultation,measure for the fit and ready in 2 weeks! I think it was $1500, ins. covered 80%. I only need it for heavy lifting or backpacking! Gives you an idea.....

https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=...lf:1,lf_ui:3&*

X2 on the Ossur.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:24 PM

I got my Don Joy brace through my local physiotherapist, but one surgeon that I saw recommended
http://www.khager.com/index.php?area...FQiSfgodAFcDbQ in Edmonton.
Have you gotten a prescription for the brace yet?
Old 03-18-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
I'm using a set of these, I did a lot of research

Pretty hard to find a better brand ,

As for where in edm idk, the guy I got mine is out of innisfail

https://www.ossur.com/injury-solutio...ces/cti-custom

I use the same one. Don't think anyone in Edmonton Does them. I had a guy come out from Calgary to measure me up. Pretty spendy brace but haven't popped my knee since using it. Been about 5 years. I use it for sledding and I'm not very easy on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2017, 12:33 PM
Gone Hunting

YD got her knee brace at Bouma Orthotics in Sherwood Park. Good outfit to deal with thus far.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:47 PM

Default Sherwood Park Sports Physio

I'd check them out for brace info. I had a similar injury except for a fully ruptured ACL and partial MCL with the complex meniscus. I went the surgery route and am not wearing a brace so I can't comment on good vs bad brands etc. They specialize in knee injuries so would be a good starting point or solution. I know they do deal with WCB a lot.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:52 PM

Karl Hagger Limb & Brace in E-town is top notch but they are not cheap. They are on 124 st & 107 ave
Old 03-18-2017, 03:20 PM

Generation 2, carbon fibre for ACL, MCL. Had mine fitted Calgary.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:33 PM

I also have a Don Joy brace, through Leduc Physiotherapy. Was $1200 a couple years ago.

Completely blown ACL.

NRA/NFA Supporter and "...gun toting tea party psychotard..." -
Old 03-18-2017, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I like the look of the Ossur and will follow up on this.

I have a prescription and did go to Karl Hager. The brace that they provided is limiting in movement and has considerable coverage of my leg with plastic resulting in quite a bit of leg perspiration. The fit is also less than ideal. I believe this is one of their internally manufactured braces as there was a fair amount of pressure to take this brace. I had expressed concerns and will voice them again next week. They do not offer either the Ossur or Don Joy.

Checking on the Ossur it appears that there are shops in Sherwood Park and one in North Edmonton that handle this line.

Thanks again.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Karl Hagger Limb & Brace in E-town is top notch but they are not cheap. They are on 124 st & 107 ave
I went there as well with no complaints. It was a while ago so can't remember all the detail but good people to deal with, expensive but mine was picked up 100% by the other guys insurance. When it got better to the point that I could play hockey again I kept the brace on for a year or two and had no issues playing with it on - beer league nothing competetive.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:18 PM

I have done extensive damage to my knees (acl, Mcl, patella, cartilage, miniscus) and tried many types of braces, they helped when I wore them...but...they are all crutches imo and don't address the root of the problem. What helped me most was strengthening the muscles in the leg and working on mobility. My knees are stronger and I have more stability than ever. Find a good strength and mobility coach and save the $$$$ you would spend on a custom brace. Working on leg strength and mobility exposed issues in my legs and hips I never knew I had. Just some thoughts from a guy who thought who we would be in knee braces for life.....
Old 03-19-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
I got my Don Joy brace through my local physiotherapist, but one surgeon that I saw recommended
http://www.khager.com/index.php?area...FQiSfgodAFcDbQ in Edmonton.
Have you gotten a prescription for the brace yet?
X2
Old 03-19-2017, 03:51 PM

I like my Generation 2 brace. However my good knee, needed a brace for motocross. Ordered a used knee brace on EBay CTI. Measured thigh, length, and calf. Then picked up cti for $50.00. Asked questions to seller about info. Worked good. Here is example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OSSUR-GII-RI...4AAOSwEzxYannO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Innovation-S...gAAOSwTuJYxhZq

PB43

Last edited by lmtada; 03-19-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
I have done extensive damage to my knees (acl, Mcl, patella, cartilage, miniscus) and tried many types of braces, they helped when I wore them...but...they are all crutches imo and don't address the root of the problem. What helped me most was strengthening the muscles in the leg and working on mobility. My knees are stronger and I have more stability than ever. Find a good strength and mobility coach and save the $$$$ you would spend on a custom brace. Working on leg strength and mobility exposed issues in my legs and hips I never knew I had. Just some thoughts from a guy who thought who we would be in knee braces for life.....
This^^^^^. Although a brace is good for high impact activities.
I'm scheduled for ACL and partial miniscus surgery soon and I have the Donjoy brace. It works good but nothing is better than physio and working the snot out of your legs. I have full range of motion and if I wasnt so active with sports and hunting, I could live with my completely torn ACL.
Gonna visit ole sawbomes in a few weeks and can't wait to turf this brace for good.
Half an hour intense (I take Sunday off) on the bike and my physio regime from Sherwood Park (the bridge) physio and my legs have never been stronger. Highly reccommed crushing the hard work out.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the advice on strengthening the legs. I had put a program in place after I tore my right knee. Unfortunately with the left leg this is a polio leg and the muscles / tendons have a fair amount of atrophy. The strengthening program works but not as well as for the "normal" leg. I really want the brace to just stabilize the knee to see if I can avoid surgery by strengthening it again. Surgery was suggested. Given the polio issue I think in the long term the brace is a good safety back up for the times when that leg gets tired.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:03 AM

I just had surgery to take out some cartledge and minescus problems. Also have partial tear of ACL and MCL, as well as a bakers cyst. Was just wondering what some of your heal times were for getting back to normal duties. Its been a week and change now and it still feels like surgery day, am I jumping the gun thinking it should be healing quicker, doc told me 2 weeks and back to work. No way that's happening as I cant even put a lot of weight on it yet and there are times it is so tight that I can barely move it at..
Any thoughts would be welcomed, thx
Old 03-25-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADBOY View Post
I just had surgery to take out some cartledge and minescus problems. Also have partial tear of ACL and MCL, as well as a bakers cyst. Was just wondering what some of your heal times were for getting back to normal duties. Its been a week and change now and it still feels like surgery day, am I jumping the gun thinking it should be healing quicker, doc told me 2 weeks and back to work. No way that's happening as I cant even put a lot of weight on it yet and there are times it is so tight that I can barely move it at..

Are you using a ice machine on it? If not get one. It goes over the knee and flows ice cold water over it. Use it as much as u can.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADBOY View Post
I work out with one of the Oilers trainers. You should already be working out on day two. Get a good physiotherapist and get after it! It's going to take a while. The Baker cyst will leave once you get the swelling down.

Sweld: From what I've been told from the Oilers trainer, icing it is an archaic practice that has no therapeutic benefit. You need blood flow to the area to stimulate healing. Icing reduces blood flow. Not to be contrary…

Typical meniscus surgeries don't put people out that long. However your other ligament tears are probably complicating things. I suggest contacting the Glen Sather sports clinic and getting a hold of one of their physiotherapists to help you recover quick
Old 03-25-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
I work out with one of the Oilers trainers. You should already be working out on day two. Get a good physiotherapist and get after it! It's going to take a while. The Baker cyst will leave once you get the swelling down.

Sweld: From what I've been told from the Oilers trainer, icing it is an archaic practice that has no therapeutic benefit. You need blood flow to the area to stimulate healing. Icing reduces blood flow. Not to be contrary…

Typical meniscus surgeries don't put people out that long. However your other ligament tears are probably complicating things. I suggest contacting the Glen Sather sports clinic and getting a hold of one of their physiotherapists to help you recover quick

Icing and elevation are used to reduce swelling, and can be beneficial for a couple days after surgery or injury. The above is correct in that blood flow to the area is what is going to start the healing process. Mild heat and strengthening exercises will promote faster recovery, and if you're getting any throbbing pain after the exercises then it is advisable to ice and elevate. As well, it is important to keep the knee mobile while recovering.
Someone mentioned using an ice flow machine above, and these work excellent especially for knee and joint injuries.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:40 AM

Thanks for some the valuable information on the knee.My house has 22 steps from top to bottom and after a couple of times going up and down my knee hurts like a bugger. Im hopeing this is a healing process going on,I do not walk on it a lot due to this reason but try to keep it moving as much as possible. I really want to get back to walking the golf course this summer but with them removing the cartledge that may not be possible as that is the shock absorber for the leg. Will get into excersise program to strengthen it up as soon as doc gives me the ok. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:37 AM

When I buggered my knee the sports doc told me to ride a bike or exercise bike. It's low impact on your knee and your not putting your weight on it like running or walking. It's strengthens it good. I couldn't stand up off my knees with out grabbing something now I can just stand up as normal.