Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2017, 06:53 PM
Banned

Arrow inReach SEŽ+ : Anyone use one of these?

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/56...n/010-01735-10

Anyone use one of these? Garmin has jumped in and taken the Delorme name.

Thinking of getting one, let my SPOT go as it just wasn't 100% reliable.

Get out of cellphone range quite often and like to send word to the family of where I'm at.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:19 PM

The inReach SE+ and Explorer+ are not yet on the market. They are waiting for some kind of govt approval. Expecting them in stores any day.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nester View Post
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/56...n/010-01735-10

Anyone use one of these? Garmin has jumped in and taken the Delorme name.

Thinking of getting one, let my SPOT go as it just wasn't 100% reliable.

Get out of cellphone range quite often and like to send word to the family of where I'm at.
I have the SE been using it for work since May. Never let me down. Nice to have 2-way communication.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:59 AM
Banned

Anyone else?
Old 02-27-2017, 12:01 PM

I use mine for hunting and sledding. Been great so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2017, 12:18 PM

I have the Explorer and am very impressed with it. I also work in rescue coordination, and having two way communication with a victim or reporting person in a remote area can greatly improve the outcome of a rescue. When we get a notification from an emergency location device that only has a preprogrammed SOS message and coordinates, we never know if it is even a valid emergency until our guys are on scene. With two way communication, rescue personnel can respond with the appropriate resources and equipment, and we can keep the victim/RP updated with our response and also give them emergency advice. Mrs. Big Bull is off skiing by herself right now in the mountains for the day and she will text me throughout the day with updates. Each text will have a link to open showing her exact position at the time. I highly recommend the inReach devises to anyone travelling in remote areas.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:11 AM

Bought an inReach a couple years ago and I love having it while sledding. Even started carrying it for work while back in the bush. Batteries last long, nice having tracking and two way comms anywhere.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:45 AM

I am also really happy with mine. It has been working flawless for me since day one. My wife can now rest easy when I am out hunting solo for a few days. It was worth the investment for me, keeping the wife happy allows for more days in the field.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:26 AM

I have used them for quite a few years. They can be very useful for communication in off-grid areas such as hunting camps, travel, recreation as skiing, etc... I use mine quite a bit while driving to Powell River as there are a lot of cellular dead spots along the way. We do a lot of extended pack trips with no other communication with the real world. Very useful for letting others know where we are camped and that we are running low on specific supplies (i.e., bring more rum). With message checking set on continuous you can text almost at the same speed as SMS off your phone.

Peace of mind for those left at home is also a big plus. This can be accomplished by regular messages as well as the excellent Mapshare page that shows them where you are and where you have been by way of tracking. Message recipients can respond to messages right from their favorite SMS app on their phone.

The navigation features come in handy if you do a little trip planning and enter a few waypoints beforehand. It sure makes wandering in the bush a whole new experience.

If you have the option I would wait until the Explorer+ hits the shelves and get one of those. They look like they will be an awesome unit.

Last edited by hl649; 02-28-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddawg View Post
Bought an inReach a couple years ago and I love having it while sledding. Even started carrying it for work while back in the bush. Batteries last long, nice having tracking and two way comms anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter View Post
I am also really happy with mine. It has been working flawless for me since day one. My wife can now rest easy when I am out hunting solo for a few days. It was worth the investment for me, keeping the wife happy allows for more days in the field.
Thanks for sharing
Does it support other maps like mapsource (?) format or stuff like Backroads Mapbooks SD?

I also not a fan of rechargeables, in any shape or form, in my field electronics.

Last edited by V_1; 02-28-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:29 AM

I have the original InReach (without screen), and prefer it to the newer models because (1) it takes AA batteries and (2) its lack of screen means I'm less likely to use it as a GPS or generally putz around on it, thus depleting the batteries.

I had a Spot before the InReach and vastly prefer the InReach for its two-way capabilities.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:45 AM

Have used the Inreach Explorer for the past couple of years. Tracking, hunting and work. I am very pleased with it and the option of changing plans when you wish. Very user friendly all the way around. Had the Spot for years it is ok but not great and they are not so customer friendly from my point of view.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:48 AM

inReach SEŽ+:
Battery type - Rechargeable internal lithium ion

Ugh! Why would they do that!?

The Li-ion battery in my cell phone after a couple years is a complete turd, and won't hold a charge. And with extended periods of inactivity when I am not using the unit, the battery will die even faster.

It is also very annoying to have to ensure the batteries are topped up before your next outing. And unless, you carry a hand crank charger or solar panels or something, you are toast once it runs out.

With my current GPS, I just toss in a brand new set of AA's right before I leave. I carry lots of AA's for my camera flashes as well and always leave the last set of batteries incase of emergency. I am never concerned with a dead battery with AA's.

Lame.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStyler View Post
inReach SEŽ+:
Battery type - Rechargeable internal lithium ion

Ugh! Why would they do that!?

The Li-ion battery in my cell phone after a couple years is a complete turd, and won't hold a charge. And with extended periods of inactivity when I am not using the unit, the battery will die even faster.

It is also very annoying to have to ensure the batteries are topped up before your next outing. And unless, you carry a hand crank charger or solar panels or something, you are toast once it runs out.

With my current GPS, I just toss in a brand new set of AA's right before I leave. I carry lots of AA's for my camera flashes as well and always leave the last set of batteries incase of emergency. I am never concerned with a dead battery with AA's.

Lame.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...be244aefeaen02

Hardly takes up any more room than your spare AA batteries.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:31 AM
Banned

First of all, power banks leak charge, too, slowly but surely. Second - what's the use of it if main battery holds too little charge for the device to be a) reliable and b) usable?
Old 03-01-2017, 08:52 AM

The battery life on these units are very good. They will last for months on standby.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:40 AM
Banned

And in active use mode?
Runtime on one charge it's only part of what I'm talking about. I bet everyone here already has a graveyard of otherwise working electronics with dead or dying batteries (no longer holding (enough) charge, etc.)
Old 03-01-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V_1 View Post
And in active use mode?
Runtime on one charge it's only part of what I'm talking about. I bet everyone here already has a graveyard of otherwise working electronics with dead or dying batteries (no longer holding (enough) charge, etc.)

I use mine for sledding in the mountains. Covered in snow and cold. 8 hr days has never dropped below 90%. 4 yrs old.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl649 View Post
The battery life on these units are very good. They will last for months on standby.
Thats fine and dandy if you never turn it on.

This thing is a GPS unit as well. Since I usually carry lots of batteries, I leave my GPS on all day tracking my route - eating up the batteries.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStyler View Post
Thats fine and dandy if you never turn it on.

This thing is a GPS unit as well. Since I usually carry lots of batteries, I leave my GPS on all day tracking my route - eating up the batteries.
Their website shows their battery life as "Up to 100 hours at 10-minute tracking mode (default); up to 75 hours at 10-minute tracking with 1-second logging".
Old 03-02-2017, 02:43 PM
Banned

I bought a folding solar panel and a USB battery bank. I basically have unlimited power year round for camping, hiking etc. Both from amazon.
The battery pack will charge an iPhone 6 times. The solar panel charges it back up in a couple hours. So if you start a trip full it'll never run out.
So I'll plan to just charge it each night from that when I switch my spot locator to one of these units. The solar panel works well strapped to a backpack.
The spot are ok but these are definitely better and way better coverage. The spot hasn't always sent check ins and two way comms is way better.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00MQS...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 battery pack.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00EVF...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Solar panel
Old 03-02-2017, 03:43 PM

Recently used mine on a trip to Kirimitati (Christmas Island) about 200 km north of the equator, south of Hawaii. I sent daily messages home to my wife and let a few others borrow it to do the same. All were received. Battery use was 13% over a 10 day trip. Each message costs you something on the basic plan. Message round trip time was about two minutes max. I was impressed with it over all.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:47 PM

With the "Extended Tracking" mode turned on you can get about 1 month on a charge. If you carry a small battery pack, that is available at any electronics store, you can recharge the inReach a couple of times.

I am very happy with my inReach units and it sounds like others are also. If you want a GPS you should buy a GPS. An inReach is not GPS. It is primarily a communication device with additional tracking and navigation features. I sounds like you would be happier with a dedicated GPS.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:59 AM
Banned

Anyone see the new Garmin/InReach + model kicking around?
Old 03-26-2017, 05:56 AM

I'm super happy with my inreach, but strictly use it for emergency comms. While I strive to combine as many uses as possible into a single item, I'm just not happy with the GPS functionality of the inreach and don't like the idea of draining the battery and possibly having it dead the one time I really need it.

I just clip it on my Bino harness so even if I drop my pack for a stalk it's on me. Great piece of mind, especially on solo hunts.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:28 AM

Default Explorer

Have had the spot for years now just cancelled , looking at the explorer where are they sold in Edmonton area thanks,
Old 03-26-2017, 09:35 AM

I have seen them at London Drugs, Communications Group, and Cabelas. I would assume any outdoor oriented store that carries electronics would have them.

If you are going to buy one, make sure you get the new Explorer+ and not the older model explorer.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:41 AM

IS that the Garmin ones
Old 03-26-2017, 09:49 AM

Garmin purchased DeLorme so all of the DeLorme products are now Garmin products. The old products, of course still say DeLorme on them, but anything new has the Garmin logo.

The new Explorer+ units have maps on the unit itself. The older Explorer units were not capable of displaying maps on the inReach's screen. Garmin has made a number of different map types available for download. No aerial photos for Canada yet but a large portion of the US has aerial photos available so I would imagine they will be available here soon.

They do not replace a true GPS but they do provide what most of us need.

I get about 5 or 6 days out of a battery charge. I run the tracking 24 hours a day and send a lot of messages. A quick charge from a small battery pack and I'm set to go again.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:52 AM

YES THANKS ,been a Garmin user since they first came out ,think this unit will be a nice upgrade to the spot .But who sells them,