Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-25-2017, 06:49 PM

Default Wader repair

Is there anywhere I can get chest waders repaired? They're just an entry level Reddington - but waste not want not n all that. There's a leak half way down the leg n I've tried everything to find the hole. They WILL NOT leak at home.

Or am I just better off buying another set (these r 3yrs old)
Old 03-25-2017, 07:18 PM

Couple of questions....
What are they made out of?
And what have you tried in regards to finding the leak?
Old 03-25-2017, 08:34 PM

Hang them up and fill them full of water. They will leak, let them hang for a while if needed.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:39 PM

I use the pump from my pontoon boat and fill the waders with air. A little duct tape holds the pump nozzle when wrapped around the waist. Some soapy water on a sponge will find the hole quickly and a little Aqua-seal generally stops the leak.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:39 PM

That's exactly what I have done... dry off the outside and wait to see what happens.
I have used shoe goo in the past to seal up bigger holes and worn out heel sections on neoprene waders.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:06 AM

Loon outdoors sells uv wader repair . You would need a uv light to cure the glue or else sunlight works as well . I bought mine at wholesale sports and it worked great on my neoprene waders . Also I find the best way to find leaks is with air and soap , water works as well but then you have to dry them after . Good luck
Old 03-26-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonbee View Post
Is there anywhere I can get chest waders repaired? They're just an entry level Reddington - but waste not want not n all that. There's a leak half way down the leg n I've tried everything to find the hole. They WILL NOT leak at home.

Or am I just better off buying another set (these r 3yrs old)
get a bottle of 70% alcohol ( isoprohol ) cant spell it ,but it is basically rubbing alcohol from any drugstore pharmacy ,turn your waders inside out (the waders must be dry inside and out ) and spray a little on the suspect area turn them right side out and look for a little black spot ,sometimes it can be just a speck but if there is a leak this method will find it ,but make sure its completely dry before sealing it ,this method has never failed me ,and the cost is a couple of dollars ,this method works for pin holes or seam leaks ,
Old 03-26-2017, 06:33 AM

This only works if the waders are made with Goretex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw2 View Post
get a bottle of 70% alcohol ( isoprohol ) cant spell it ,but it is basically rubbing alcohol from any drugstore pharmacy ,turn your waders inside out (the waders must be dry inside and out ) and spray a little on the suspect area turn them right side out and look for a little black spot ,sometimes it can be just a speck but if there is a leak this method will find it ,but make sure its completely dry before sealing it ,this method has never failed me ,and the cost is a couple of dollars ,this method works for pin holes or seam leaks ,

-Confucius
Old 03-26-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
This only works if the waders are made with Goretex!
you are correct sry I should have made that clear that in my post
Old 03-26-2017, 01:23 PM

If you are in Calgary area, you can take them into Spirit West. They can test for the leaks and fix the holes.