Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2017, 02:18 PM

Default Fastest way to get a passport

How long does it take to get a passport when sending the paperwork etc in by mail?

Just trying to see what the fastest way would be as I might need it to cross the border to get a new pup if breeding goes right
Old 03-26-2017, 02:20 PM

Could take a few months
Don't hesitate get it done now and make sure the application is
PERFECT otherwise it will get kicked back and take even longer
Cat
Old 03-26-2017, 02:21 PM
Banned

You can get an expedited passport for an extra cost. I went through it in 2007 and I had a passport in hand 24 hours later. I did do it in person at Canada Place in Edmonton though.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:25 PM

In person at the passport office. Pay the extra for expedited service. You will stand in line for a while but worth it.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:25 PM

You can get one the next business day for an additional $110 or within 2-9 business days for an extra $50. Only catch is that you need to apply in person and not all locations can do it.

By mail, it's 20 business days plus mailing time.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
You can get an expedited passport for an extra cost. I went through it in 2007 and I had a passport in hand 24 hours later. I did do it in person at Canada Place in Edmonton though.
Correct above, go do it in person, do your photo by a reputable photo place, don't use the mail.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:28 PM

If you have CAA plus the passport picture is no charge to you.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
Correct above, go do it in person, do your photo by a reputable photo place, don't use the mail.
Yup great advice right there
Cat
Old 03-26-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
That sounds like what I will have to do, appreciate the help
Old 03-26-2017, 02:54 PM

I just did this the other week. Booked a flight to Mexico and realized that my passport expired a day after we get back. Didn't want to risk it (delayed flight, some countries need a certain time on your passport, etc..). Filled out the application online and printed it out. Went to Canada Place in Edmonton. Got my pictures done at a photoshop there (5 mins in and out). Stood inline for about 20 minutes. If I didn't need an expedited passport I would've been done. Since i needed it sooner than later they passed me onto another agent. Waited about another 45mins or so. They basically approve it there. She said she approved everything and unless I've been robbing banks it would ready to picked up in a week. It was 7 business days and cost an extra $50 on top of the $110. From the time we entered the parking garage till we left it was less than 2 hours.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
I just did this the other week. Booked a flight to Mexico and realized that my passport expired a day after we get back. Didn't want to risk it (delayed flight, some countries need a certain time on your passport, etc..). Filled out the application online and printed it out. Went to Canada Place in Edmonton. Got my pictures done at a photoshop there (5 mins in and out). Stood inline for about 20 minutes. If I didn't need an expedited passport I would've been done. Since i needed it sooner than later they passed me onto another agent. Waited about another 45mins or so. They basically approve it there. She said she approved everything and unless I've been robbing banks it would ready to picked up in a week. It was 7 business days and cost an extra $50 on top of the $110. From the time we entered the parking garage till we left it was less than 2 hours.
Great, thanks for that, I will do exactly what you did lol
Old 03-26-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
They had no issue with you filling it out online and printing it? I am just trying to find the application online to do as you described
Old 03-26-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I just did the exact same thing last week. You can't travel with a passport that will expire within 6 months so we had to renew quickly.

Troutbug, DON'T GO ON MONDAYS!!! It is the busiest day. They told me Monday is probably twice as busy as any other day. I stood in a line for 45 minutes just to get into the office to start standing in line for the process to begin. If you must go Monday they told me people start lining up before it opens. So be there early or prepare to spend 4 or 5 hours there.

I just googled passport renewal form and found it too.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:26 PM

I never have to wait my brother make mine up and I usually can pick it up aftr work his cost is a little high I think $250
Old 03-26-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Shy View Post
I never have to wait my brother make mine up and I usually can pick it up aftr work his cost is a little high I think $250
Yikes!
Old 03-26-2017, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I just did the exact same thing last week. You can't travel with a passport that will expire within 6 months so we had to renew quickly.
Different time frames for different countries. We recently found out that it's three months for France. I thought that I'd warn others so I started a thread here:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=318163
Old 03-26-2017, 06:06 PM

A buddy and I were going on a trip so headed to Canada Place in Edmonton. We both did it in person, he paid extra to expedite it, I did not, but mine arrived the day before his did. Your passport arrives alot sooner by doing it in person, not by paying extra, in my experience.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:51 PM

1 day in calgary if you go into the passport office in downtown. I did it last april and didnt even need to pay for rush service. If you send it by mail then it might be 6 weeks.
The other reason to go in is as cat said, by going in they go through the application with you and correct any mistakes on the spot. If u send it by mail and mess up anything, then it will be kicked back to you
Old 03-26-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
They had no issue with you filling it out online and printing it? I am just trying to find the application online to do as you described
No, I found they prefer it.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
No, I found they prefer it.
Ok cool, so did you just fill out everything except the signature part?
Old 03-26-2017, 07:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
How long does it take to get a passport when sending the paperwork etc in by mail?

Just trying to see what the fastest way would be as I might need it to cross the border to get a new pup if breeding goes right
Go to Canada Place with a plane ticket and you get it the same day!
Old 03-26-2017, 07:26 PM

I have had people say to me that they may not be able get a passport because they have a criminal record. I have been telling them that if you are a Canadian you will be able to get a passport. When one applies for a passport there is no line to be filled asking if you have a criminal record. The application questions are there only to establish that you are a Canadian.

Now, if you are about to enter a country like the USA you may be asked if you have a criminal record and they likely will run you through their computers to check you out and entry may then be denied.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLAKER View Post
I have had people say to me that they may not be able get a passport because they have a criminal record. I have been telling them that if you are a Canadian you will be able to get a passport. When one applies for a passport there is no line to be filled asking if you have a criminal record. The application questions are there only to establish that you are a Canadian.

Now, if you are about to enter a country like the USA you may be asked if you have a criminal record and they likely will run you through their computers to check you out and entry may then be denied.
Yes.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Ok cool, so did you just fill out everything except the signature part?
Yup. Just fill out everything you can online, print and sign. Make sure you follow all the directions. When I got my 1st passport (when everybody had to get one), me and my mother went together. She did hers online and I did mine by hand. After the huge line up and getting to the front, since hers was filled out online she dropped it off and was good to go. I had to take a number and wait again cause mine was filled out by hand. Since we came together, the agent that took hers took mine too.

Since then I always fill it out online. Loving the 10 year expiry now.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLAKER View Post

Was just having this conversation with an in law. She said she can't get a passport cause she has a DUI. I told her that she can get a passport but the country she is going to might not let her enter.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Different time frames for different countries. We recently found out that it's three months for France. I thought that I'd warn others so I started a thread here:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=318163
Sorry, I meant I couldn't travel with a passport that expires within six months. You are right, various jurisdictions have different requirements.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:03 AM

just received ours...took 4 weeks
Old 03-27-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:

Went to Service Canada office and the lady went through my application had my passport in 3 weeks. Highly recommend taking your application to Service Canada office if at all possible because if you mail it and there is a mistake it will be sent back.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHBATTEREDBEER View Post
Go to Canada Place with a plane ticket and you get it the same day!
Only IF they can contact your references to confirm who you are.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:

Take it in to the closest passport office, otherwise it'll take awhile. Especially if you made any mistakes.