Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-24-2017, 05:49 PM

Default Bear bait with popcorn.

So I'm trying my hand with popcorn this year. Anyone know how many lbs or kgs of kernels of popcorn I'll need for a 55 gallon drum? I have 3 drums and 10kgs of popcorn.I'd appreciate any help on estimating the volume I'll get out of the kernels.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:59 PM

You will need more than 10KG. I place it at about 4KG per fill and I usually fill a few times per season.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:31 PM

I used the used grease/oil from restaurants to pop my corn which bought from a bulk barn, the used grease/oil from KFC worked best. Made lots and stored the excess in large garbage bags.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonmark View Post
So I'm trying my hand with popcorn this year. Anyone know how many lbs or kgs of kernels of popcorn I'll need for a 55 gallon drum? I have 3 drums and 10kgs of popcorn.I'd appreciate any help on estimating the volume I'll get out of the kernels.
Good luck. All I can say is it's a ton of work. Very unrewarding job unless you have lots of time on your hands. I worked it out and based on what you pay it's very inexpensive to hire the popcorn people. There's a couple/few of them floating around and it's pretty cheap.

Last edited by wildwoods; 02-24-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:34 PM

Ya, what WW said, just buy the big bags from those who sell them, an AO member from just west of Edm if I recall.
$25 for a bag that fills a drum, can go wrong.
Also slop some grease from fast food restaurant around too, it all helps.

TBark
Old 02-24-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Ya, what WW said, just buy the big bags from those who sell them, an AO member from just west of Edm if I recall.
$25 for a bag that fills a drum, can go wrong.
Also slop some grease from fast food restaurant around too, it all helps.

TBark

HIt up the cinema dumpsters, buddy and I get all our popcorn for free, mega bags ever weekend, we get over 10 barrels of popcorn every year, have to do some cleaning from the other garbage, but goes quick
Old 02-26-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akoch View Post
You will need more than 10KG. I place it at about 4KG per fill and I usually fill a few times per season.
Perfect, Just what I was looking for. Thanks
Old 02-26-2017, 10:30 AM

Buy some oats off of farmer collect restaurant grease from your local restaurants more or less free bait oats are fairly cheap

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonmark View Post
Perfect, Just what I was looking for. Thanks
Welcome, happy popping!
Old 02-27-2017, 11:56 AM

Last year was my first time baiting and that's exactly what I used. Popcorn. I would go to Walmart and buy the 2kg bags for $1.50. It would take about 8 bags to fill my barrel. I would also buy the jello boxes. I'm a college student living in a basement suite so all I had was a stove to cook on. I would get three big frying pans and put a little bit of oil in the bottom and pour in enough popcorn to cover the bottom of the pan an start popping. And I would sprinkle the jello mix over the pop corn, I would dump the popcorn into a big tote first and let it cool later transferring into garbage bags to bring to my barrel. My barrel I drilled 3 small 1 inch holes in just big enough so a few pieces would fall out a time. I live about an hour away from my barrel and it would last about a week but I would go check it twice a week. When I pour my popcorn into my barrel I would also sprinkle the jello power inside to mix with the popcorn and once I buttoned up my barrel I would stand it up on end and pour two packs on the lid and pour some water over it. It would crystallized to the barrel and they would lick the **** out of the barrel before going after the popcorn. I would also fill a spray bottle with vanilla and spray a lot of the thick bushes and trees all around my barrel and I would dip tampons into vanilla and throw them up high in the tress just to get the scent going through the bush. And I would also sprinkle jello powder on the roots and stumps and they would eat the ground and tear it up like crazy. It was the cheapest way I found and i had several bears hitting my barrel. It got to the point where I could drive right to my barrel with my truck and they would just stare at me lol but we took two nice bears last fall. Good luck and hope this helps

Old 02-27-2017, 12:10 PM

That's the good stuff^^^ Nice Post
Old 02-27-2017, 01:07 PM

Awesome post dude. Thanks for that. Made my day.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:49 PM

Once I even had a genny and hot air popper right at the bait site, ha.
It took a while but the smell of hot popping corn brought a few in on first evening.

TBark
Old 02-28-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartsky View Post
Last year was my first time baiting and that's exactly what I used. Popcorn. I would go to Walmart and buy the 2kg bags for $1.50. It would take about 8 bags to fill my barrel. I would also buy the jello boxes. I'm a college student living in a basement suite so all I had was a stove to cook on. I would get three big frying pans and put a little bit of oil in the bottom and pour in enough popcorn to cover the bottom of the pan an start popping. And I would sprinkle the jello mix over the pop corn, I would dump the popcorn into a big tote first and let it cool later transferring into garbage bags to bring to my barrel. My barrel I drilled 3 small 1 inch holes in just big enough so a few pieces would fall out a time. I live about an hour away from my barrel and it would last about a week but I would go check it twice a week. When I pour my popcorn into my barrel I would also sprinkle the jello power inside to mix with the popcorn and once I buttoned up my barrel I would stand it up on end and pour two packs on the lid and pour some water over it. It would crystallized to the barrel and they would lick the **** out of the barrel before going after the popcorn. I would also fill a spray bottle with vanilla and spray a lot of the thick bushes and trees all around my barrel and I would dip tampons into vanilla and throw them up high in the tress just to get the scent going through the bush. And I would also sprinkle jello powder on the roots and stumps and they would eat the ground and tear it up like crazy. It was the cheapest way I found and i had several bears hitting my barrel. It got to the point where I could drive right to my barrel with my truck and they would just stare at me lol but we took two nice bears last fall. Good luck and hope this helps

Thanks for the story. I've Hunted bear lots over the years and I'm more interested in the popcorn for the reason it's not a hi-fill food. Over the years I've come to realize that when it comes to bear hunting EVERYONE has the best recipe. I'm pretty open minded and like to tinker so I figured what the heck. I also have a crap load of white sugar and 2 gallons of anise extract. I plan on cutting the anise extract with 70% vegetable oil and then putting it in a pump container and dousing the hunt area to lure them in. I like the idea of keeping the location tidy too. I've had and seen lots of bait stations that look like a friggin dump with all the food and various items scattered every where. It really makes it a pain to clean up afterwards. This way I have just the barrel to bring home and any popcorn left on the ground the birds will clean up.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:40 PM
Banned

7 kgs / barrel is what it takes to fill them
Old 03-04-2017, 06:27 PM

Really ?
I would have thought that 7 kg would fill my bedroom, ha.
Mustn't be Orville.

TBark
Old 03-05-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Really ?
I would have thought that 7 kg would fill my bedroom, ha.
Mustn't be Orville.

TBark
He's right.
It takes just over 6 kg to fill contractor garbage bag and that fills 3/4 of a drum. 7kg= full drum.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:08 PM

great post man! never would have thought of popcorn and jelly. nice bears.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:58 AM

Popcorn has become a real plus because it is light, easy to transport and then produce. However...Im old school and still believe that your best results will come from oats/ grease and always a beaver around. Just my 2 cents
Old 03-08-2017, 04:32 PM

Cheap dog food works great! We usually pick it up at Walmart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0944.jpg (66.8 KB, 89 views)
Old 03-08-2017, 10:16 PM

Default Awesome!!!

Ha
Old 03-09-2017, 08:18 AM

Dog food and donut jelly syrup has worked well for me .
Old 03-25-2017, 09:38 AM

Default Switch

We made the switch to popcorn and man life was so much easier! And no rotting clean up at the end of the season. The only downside is the amount of time it takes to pop enough to fill a barrel, especially when you have 4 barrels... Good ideas on buying popped if you can or the dumpster dive idea for those willing,might even get some gummy bears and skittles in the mix. We have also used the jello powder but garlic powder works as well, cheap with great smell and goes nice with a bottle of red lol.