Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2017, 11:37 AM

Thumbs down Crazy hourly rates

I was watching the welding thread, guys were talking most ticketed welders are charging $80-130/hr.

It made me think, for schooling (grade 9 LOL j/k) truck, gear, consumables, certification that should be fairly decent.

Then I thought, I remember hearing some insane hourly rates.

$125/hr Drone repair in Calgary and Edmonton- this is ZERO schooling, no degree in electronics, no master soldering journeyman ticket, nothing. Bring in a guy, put him behind the counter, and when he is proficient at it, show the rest of the guys. I do all my own, having been in the hobby 40 years. Guess I should have opened a hobby shop.

I am in the wrong line of work!!!

I remember going to Ft Macmoney in 2001-2006 for work, and the recreational powersports dealers there were $90-$100/hr. To work on toys.

Our little service station in town is now at $60/hr, it may take twice as long to get things done some times but it is handy and maximum 6 blocks away for everyone in town.

I remember hearing a Ford dealer at $135/hr.

Are things settling down?
Old 03-24-2017, 11:54 AM
Banned

I work on a lot of welding contractor trucks in my shop , local dealers are around $145 plus gouging,,

I understand that the O&G industry on a whole has cut back on contractor rates, in some cases drastically ,

I respect anyone willing to suck it up and work for $80 or $85 per hour with their own provided equipment, better than demanding $125 hour and running from the Re-PO Man,,,,

So when taking on truck repair I ask if the operator wishes to show his most recent invoice for work done, I will match his rate for services I provide,

Most units I find the last year are showing $85 to 95 per hour,

About 20% less than average a couple years ago,

So if they charge $85 per hour , I charge them $85 per hour to fix their Dodges mostly,, some Fords

I like Dodges,,,,
Old 03-24-2017, 12:12 PM

If it is a shop i bet the price of land/buildings keeps the rates high. Land is more expensive than ever and building a shop is still the same price as before.

I think the shop near me pays 10 000 month for two bays and office lease? The guy needs to do ten jobs at 1000$ profit each just to pay rent....he is open about 240hrs per month so he needs a 40$ hr just to pay for the fact the shop is present on the land nevermind tools, mechanics, utilities, wear and tear etc.

I think same goes for anything really..... no one will work for cheap anymore, look at the price of food and housing. A cheap house in edmonton is 400 000k who in their right mind would work for less than 100k per year with debt like that? Most people are almost half a million in the hole just on their home never mind vehicles or kids.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:42 PM

Don't forget about the taxes on that big shop. That could easily add another $1000/month.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-24-2017, 12:54 PM
Gone Hunting

Swinging a hammer is important, ut not as important as knowing where to hit with it.

It has always struck me strange that people think the next guy is overpaid.

Wonder what the solution would be?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-24-2017, 01:22 PM

Even if you are a communist, that has to be the stupidest post l have ever read.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I was watching the welding thread, guys were talking most ticketed welders are charging $80-130/hr.

It made me think, for schooling (grade 9 LOL j/k) truck, gear, consumables, certification that should be fairly decent.

Then I thought, I remember hearing some insane hourly rates.

$125/hr Drone repair in Calgary and Edmonton- this is ZERO schooling, no degree in electronics, no master soldering journeyman ticket, nothing. Bring in a guy, put him behind the counter, and when he is proficient at it, show the rest of the guys. I do all my own, having been in the hobby 40 years. Guess I should have opened a hobby shop.

I am in the wrong line of work!!!

I remember going to Ft Macmoney in 2001-2006 for work, and the recreational powersports dealers there were $90-$100/hr. To work on toys.

Our little service station in town is now at $60/hr, it may take twice as long to get things done some times but it is handy and maximum 6 blocks away for everyone in town.

I remember hearing a Ford dealer at $135/hr.

Are things settling down?
If you need a service truck from your local Caterpillar dealer it is $210 an hour. That is what the dealership charges, not what the mechanic is receiving. More in the oilsands. Right now that is high, a few years ago that is what a D8 was making an hour though. We see a dollar amount and think something is crazy, but we never relate the costs to the industry that person serves.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:19 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79ford View Post

I think same goes for anything really..... no one will work for cheap anymore, look at the price of food and housing. A cheap house in edmonton is 400 000k who in their right mind would work for less than 100k per year with debt like that? Most people are almost half a million in the hole just on their home never mind vehicles or kids.
... i make lot less then that

ps on a side note... first world problems

the other day i was filling up at a domo, it was busy and they have one guy working, i pull up got out open the gas cap and start to fill my car and told the domo guy iam just filling it up all the way, a nice nod and smile and thank you from him . while i stand there filling up at the was 3 car park at the pump driver just sitting there waiting for the clerk to come fill their car up . if anyone of those 3 would just get out of the car and help them self, they would have been out of there rather then holding up the line. .. there was a line of probably 5 cars on each side .

Last edited by fishtank; 03-24-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:20 PM
AO Sponsor

This drives me nuts!

It isn't just an hourly cost most of the time... How much is rent on a store? How much is equipment? How much are employees? How much is insurance? Etc...

So I have a couple hundred grand invested in equipment and my break even is 25 grand a month and I am a simple tire store. Working a 40 hour week, 5 days a week, I have to make $136.00 and hour to break even. What should I charge?
Old 03-24-2017, 02:41 PM

There are four guys in our relatively modest shop. Per person, per hour for the year, assuming 2,080 hrs worked per year/person, $13.35/hr per person of it goes towards the building, taxes, and insurance.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
If you need a service truck from your local Caterpillar dealer it is $210 an hour. That is what the dealership charges, not what the mechanic is receiving. More in the oilsands. Right now that is high, a few years ago that is what a D8 was making an hour though. We see a dollar amount and think something is crazy, but we never relate the costs to the industry that person serves.
Hmmm
I wonder what would move more dirt?... A D8 at 210 dollars an hour or 21 high school dropouts with shovels at 10 dollars an hour.

It is these crazy rates and lust for money that will be our demise.
The Alberta dream of material ownership and privilege is distorted.
1890's: 10 dollars bought a quarter section of land. 2017: 10 dollars gets you a burger and fries. 1960's: a 2000 sq ft split level house on 1/3rd of an acre lot was under 40K. 50 years later the same house is 400K+.

Why have prices skyrocketed? Because greed and smoke & mirrors took over. The smoke and mirrors are 'credit' and the great petroleum machine.

Barack Obama said it well.....
"Focusing your life solely on making a buck shows a poverty of ambition. It asks too little of yourself. And it will leave you unfulfilled".
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 03-24-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:58 PM

Calgary divorce lawyer = $500/hr
Old 03-24-2017, 03:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Thanks god the government does. Should do more, get rid of the TFW program. Our citizens shouldn't have to complete directly with third world workers in their own country. Trump would have that one cancelled in ten minutes.
TFW is taking a back seat comparatively to hundreds of illegal BORDER JUMPERS sneaking into Canada with impunity thanks to your Liberal losers in Ottawa ,,,

These ones plan to be here indefinitely ,,,at YOUR Expense

When I say ( your ) I mean all of ours,,,,
Old 03-24-2017, 03:04 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
Calgary divorce lawyer = $500/hr
And worth every penny.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
So Mexicans are worth less than us? Saying we should take advantage of poor Mexicans by paying them dog schitt wages they can't even live off of in this province is pretty bigoted. Pay them less so the corporations and companies they contract to can make even more money. How will these Mexican welders pay for a welding truck, equipment and tools worth $150,000, pay the expenses of out of town hotel rooms, fuel, meals, materials, insurance, maintenance and a shop to house it all in + taxes, Workers Compensation, EI, CPP, etc etc for $10 per hour? Good luck with that.
You must not be familiar with company programs. The places I have worked that brought in foreigners covered flights, accommodations, meals, rides to and from work etc. The low wage they make here is good money back where they are from, that is what they have even told me when I chatted them up. Yet they wont pay a red seal Canadian tradesman a fair wage.
Never did see a mexican with a 150,000 welding truck here thats for sure.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
And worth every penny.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:18 PM

Default *

I took a chore tractor into the local shop, not the dealer, just a shop.

I paid 125.00/hr for eight hours labor. There is a thousand bucks pre tax.

The "technician" who did the work was paid less than twenty / hour. say 160.00

Parts, supplies etc are extra billed costs with 20% ? mark up.

I understand there is overhead, building, phones, utilities etc.

Still, thats 840.00 in the owners jeans for the job.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
I took a chore tractor into the local shop, not the dealer, just a shop.

I paid 125.00/hr for eight hours labor. There is a thousand bucks pre tax.

The "technician" who did the work was paid less than twenty / hour. say 160.00

Parts, supplies etc are extra billed costs with 20% ? mark up.

I understand there is overhead, building, phones, utilities etc.

Still, thats 840.00 in the owners jeans for the job.
I am a mechanic and I find it hard to believe the technician was making less than $20. Likely $40 or in the neighborhood of. People at 7-11 make almost $20 an hour. After the mechanics wages, are his benefits and costs to employ that mechanic such as WCB. The $40 then becomes probably $50-$55. Then the insurance for when that mechanic screws up and wrecks the $52,000 engine he was working on. It happens.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:30 PM
Banned

I don't think it's as rosy as all you seem to think.
I know a few garage owners, both HD and auto and they are barely hanging on...business is way down from a few years ago.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:13 PM

Lots of decent trademen/women in alberta at good gigs are making an easy 130-250k/yr depending on who they work for.

You got to think any tradesperson working at an industrial plant....refinery,chemical, fertilizer,natural gas processing or upgrader can come in on overtime for 2x double bubble otwhich is about 110$ an hour for most plants..... you are tryi g to lure people out of jobs like these to go work on your tractor in their own shop for less than 125$?

Why spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to work on some one elses project when you can just take an ot shift and use the companies tools? Then worry about whether you get paid or not?
Old 03-24-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Lots of decent trademen/women in alberta at good gigs are making an easy 130-250k/yr depending on who they work for.

You got to think any tradesperson working at an industrial plant....refinery,chemical, fertilizer,natural gas processing or upgrader can come in on overtime for 2x double bubble otwhich is about 110$ an hour for most plants..... you are tryi g to lure people out of jobs like these to go work on your tractor in their own shop for less than 125$?

Why spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to work on some one elses project when you can just take an ot shift and use the companies tools? Then worry about whether you get paid or not?
Where are these jobs you speak of that pay that much?
Old 03-24-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:

Wow, no wonder production costs are so high here in Alberta. I wish everyone could make a million dollars a year, but can't help but think if we don't trim these costs, we will continue to price our products out of the market. I'm sure even the US costs, especially labor, are considerably lower than ours, but that is only speculation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2017, 04:57 PM
Banned

Default I worked hard for my money today

Started at 6 am and I did 26 calls and 3 of them had returns so it was more like 29.I was busy all day with no lull and a few times I was having coniption fits when I was being given calls going in 3 different quadrants of the city when I still had stuff to deliver on.Lunch was at 2:30 and it consisted of a bottle of coke a a Jack Links strip.Just sayin and not complaining mind you as I get paid for what I do.

FTH
Old 03-24-2017, 05:26 PM

My experience with coming from Ont. to here there is a huge wage difference for the same trades (electrician, plumber etc).
In Ontario finding an electrician (residential at $40-50 an hour was easy).

Here I was finishing my basement and needed 12 plugs and 5 lights. The lights were already wired just needed switches installed.

In Ontario could have got the job done for $600-$1000 easily. Here I was quoted by 2 different electrical companies at $4700 and $5500. I was just blown away at the cost here.

Did it myself in 4 hours (waited at City Hall for the permit for another 2..) and $420 worth of material. $1000 an hour? Come on.

Alberta for sure has helped me learn a lot of new skills!

Do a lot of jobs and have a smaller profit margin or find a few jobs with a large profit margin. The latter risks one finding enough jobs. The Walmart approach is better I feel. But that is just me.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
And worth every penny.
Your experience talking again?
Old 03-24-2017, 06:19 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
Your experience talking again?
Yessir!!! I knew a woman who charged $500 per hour and she told me she was a lawyer in the Ukraine.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yessir!!! I knew a woman who charged $500 per hour and she told me she was a lawyer in the Ukraine.
$500 an hour huh.....you sir must have a really kinky wishlist.

FTH
Old 03-24-2017, 07:09 PM

The people that I hear complaining the most about other people's hourly rates, are the ones that claim that they are being underpaid.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by From The Hip View Post
$500 an hour huh.....you sir must have a really kinky wishlist.

FTH
HMM> Not sure where you are going with this, but she did my heart surgery.

Kinky huh?

Old 03-24-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Hmmm
I wonder what would move more dirt?... A D8 at 210 dollars an hour or 21 high school dropouts with shovels at 10 dollars an hour.

It is these crazy rates and lust for money that will be our demise.
The Alberta dream of material ownership and privilege is distorted.
1890's: 10 dollars bought a quarter section of land. 2017: 10 dollars gets you a burger and fries. 1960's: a 2000 sq ft split level house on 1/3rd of an acre lot was under 40K. 50 years later the same house is 400K+.

Why have prices skyrocketed? Because greed and smoke & mirrors took over. The smoke and mirrors are 'credit' and the great petroleum machine.

Barack Obama said it well.....
"Focusing your life solely on making a buck shows a poverty of ambition. It asks too little of yourself. And it will leave you unfulfilled".
50 years ago a family had 1 TV, 1 car. They didn't go to Mexico every year and have a fifth wheel and quads and a boat and snowmobiles and a truck to pull them. A hunter had 1 or 2 guns and $700 dollar camouflage kit didn't exist. A fridge was used until it couldn't be fixed again. Same with washers and dryers - and the manufacturers kept parts in stock instead of discontinuing them after 5 years.

And most families didn't live in 2000 Sq ft houses. 1200 was the norm. You're right. People didn't live on credit like we do today. They lived within their means.

I'm gonna stop now because I think something just popped above my left eye.

Colin