Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-18-2019, 01:20 PM

Default 2019 spring bear hunting

Hey guys, long time hunter but first time bear hunter. Planning on heading out in early April 2019 when the season opens. As I don’t have time to bait I will likely be spot-n-stalking.

I know the season opens April 1, but are black bears even out at that time?

Is spot-n-stalking a bear the same as spot-n-stalking deer/moose? Is there anything special I should consider/remeber?

Any advice would be welcome as I’ve never hunted bear before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2019, 01:31 PM

Wait for end of April/early may to bother with spot and stalking. When the clover and dandelions start popping up is best.
I'm sure I will be contradicted by someone who shot a 20"er on April ~3 before, but you will be wasting your time.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:14 PM

Hey TAC, There are a ton of threads on this topic so if you don't get all the info you're looking for in responses, I would definitely try using the search feature on older threads.
"The world around me disappeared. I caressed the trigger with my index finger, knowing that a scant two pounds of pressure would cause it to unleash the firing pin and set in motion a series of events that would be catastrophic for one of us." - T.J Schwanky
Old 03-18-2019, 02:57 PM

I usually go mid May to that last week for bear and I only do spot and stalk. Like what wildwoods said you wanna catch them when all the greens and dandelions pop up. Depends where you hunt for how early that stuff starts popping up. As to stalking features towards the same as deer and moose I’d say it’s much easier,there eyesight and hearing isn’t the greatest but that nose will bust you every time. Watch your wind and you’ll get very close to them. All my bears have come 50 yards or less.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:36 PM

Thanks guys, I’ll have to have a look around to see where dandelions and clover start to pop up the earliest... I only have till mid April then I need to go back up north for work, so I may have to take my chances with the early hunt.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 View Post
Depends where you hunt for how early that stuff starts popping up.

Do you know where in the province clover and dandelions pop up first? Lower altitudes I’d assume.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC View Post
Do you know where in the province clover and dandelions pop up first? Lower altitudes I’d assume.

I would imagine southern AB foothills might be a good place to start. No experience there myself but I’m sure you’ll get a generous guy or two pm a starting point.