Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-19-2019, 09:58 AM

Arrow 2019 Bear Bait Barter/Trade/Source 2019

Ok so with Admin's blessing, we will proceed with the annual thread this year.
Our purpose:
1. Centralize a place to source inexpensive bait
2. Provide insight and techniques to help rookie bear baiters (heck even us experienced ones) become more proficient
3. Meet new people and establish good relationships from these interactions

Bear baiting is a bit of an open fraternity. I really appreciate how everyone gets together and helps each other out. If you have found a deal, have something to sell that will not conflict with AO's sponsors, or just a good idea, then post away! Questions are always welcome as well.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:07 AM

I will bite and go first with a newbie question. I will be baiting on private land for the first time this year. My question is just about timing of baiting/hunting. For example, if I am working during the day all week with baiting in the evening, when should I be hunting if I plan on hunting during the weekend? I just do not want to walk into my bait station and with bears and blow them out or does that not tend to happen? Thanks for any help!
Old 03-19-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
I will bite and go first with a newbie question. I will be baiting on private land for the first time this year. My question is just about timing of baiting/hunting. For example, if I am working during the day all week with baiting in the evening, when should I be hunting if I plan on hunting during the weekend? I just do not want to walk into my bait station and with bears and blow them out or does that not tend to happen? Thanks for any help!
The reality is that bears can be feeding all day. If you blow them out, they won't go far and tend to come back after a few hours. Keep in mind the evening is the absolute best time to be hunting bears (IMO). Climb in there early afternoon on the weekend and if you have an active bait site, you should be seeing them within a couple/few hrs.

Some members bears on here actually get accustomed to them loading the barrels. 300magman names his bears lol. Your quad will become a "dinner bell" of sorts if your bait is producing bears.

Have fun with it. Keep an eye on this thread and you will learn a ton.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:21 AM

If any one is in need of beaver carcasses I am willing to trade for other bait or sell. Sooner you let me know the better and will work out a price depending on how many you need.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:56 AM

Wholesale club in Edmonton (would guess all locations) has berry blue jello mix on for $0.65 a package if you buy 8 or more.

This stuff works great to sprinkle over your oats / popcorn - smells good and makes a sticky mess that the bears spread as they move in and out of the bait.

Bryan.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:51 PM
Banned

Bread Basket in Edmonton offers free bread if you come take it for livestock. You can show up any day and just take it. Minimum is a whole truckload or 6-8 stacks I believe. If you don't need that much, share with a friend.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
The reality is that bears can be feeding all day. If you blow them out, they won't go far and tend to come back after a few hours. Keep in mind the evening is the absolute best time to be hunting bears (IMO). Climb in there early afternoon on the weekend and if you have an active bait site, you should be seeing them within a couple/few hrs.

Some members bears on here actually get accustomed to them loading the barrels. 300magman names his bears lol. Your quad will become a "dinner bell" of sorts if your bait is producing bears.

Have fun with it. Keep an eye on this thread and you will learn a ton.
Thank you, I appreciate it!
Old 03-19-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
I don’t worry to much about it in the spring. I’ve had bears I had to throw logs at to get off the bait when I show up. Bears in the back of my Jeep eating while I’m packing food to the bait. Bears feeding on the bait while I’m skinning a bear I just shot and bears that showed back up on the bait before I had finished pulling my bow and backpack up to my stand. In the spring I’ve never had to wait more then an hour for my target bear to show up and usually less then five minutes for the first bears to show back up after I disturbed them.

In the fall I’ve had totally different “luck”. I’ve attempted to be careful, sneaky and strategic and it’s only resulted in target bears going nocturnal and or circling the bait, winding me, huffing and popping their teeth and not coming in until after I left. I just bear hunt in the spring now.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:12 AM

Has anyone tried the product called bear balls that comes from Dryden Ontario, I heard it works well
Old 03-20-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cageyc View Post
Has anyone tried the product called bear balls that comes from Dryden Ontario, I heard it works well
The best advise I can give you:
Keep it simple.

Rotten meat hung up high for scent. Steady, cheap bait supply. Let the ravens help you.

Keep it simple
Old 03-20-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Once bait is established get your cameras out and they will tell you what times your target bears come in. Seen the big ones come in at very strange times
Old 03-20-2019, 08:59 AM

I have bacon grease for free if you want to pick it up, around 5 jars so far now, smaller jars, great for putting in a cotton bag hung up let it drip all day
Old 03-20-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
I have bacon grease for free if you want to pick it up, around 5 jars so far now, smaller jars, great for putting in a cotton bag hung up let it drip all day
Where are you and said bacon grease located? I'd be in for some for sure.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Bryan View Post
Where are you and said bacon grease located? I'd be in for some for sure.
Camrose area, pm me your phone number if you want,
Old 03-21-2019, 12:22 PM

Hey guys, I'm a trapper located in the GP area and I'm doing some beaver control for local farmers. If you need a carcass or 2 or 10 let me know.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:40 PM

I will have frozen meat scraps to give away on Monday, pickup load, frozen in boxes. located around Whitecourt. PM me if interested.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:50 PM

If you want cheap bulk bait contact these guys. Would need to get a group order together to make it cost effective. I know of a couple guys that use Lucky 7 for their baits.

http://lucky7bearbait.com/home.html
Old 03-22-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NayNay View Post
If you want cheap bulk bait contact these guys. Would need to get a group order together to make it cost effective. I know of a couple guys that use Lucky 7 for their baits.

http://lucky7bearbait.com/home.html
The Cinnamon Smear looks like it would one of the best baits
Old 03-25-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:

Every bear will be different. Use trail cameras but make sure u put them in a steal bear box or you will loose them fast. Once your trail cams are set and you have beats hitting your bait consistently. Write down all the times everyday the bears are coming in. Very often you will see a pattern develop and then you can get time frames to when is best to slip into your bait. I’ve done this with good success.

With that being said I have pushed bears off my baits countless times and often they have came right back in while I am still sitting in the tree. I have killed two like this. So don’t be so upset if you do push one off on your way in. Baiting is a lot of fun keep us posted and we will help you as much as we can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post
Every bear will be different. Use trail cameras but make sure u put them in a steal bear box or you will loose them fast. Once your trail cams are set and you have beats hitting your bait consistently. Write down all the times everyday the bears are coming in. Very often you will see a pattern develop and then you can get time frames to when is best to slip into your bait. I’ve done this with good success.

With that being said I have pushed bears off my baits countless times and often they have came right back in while I am still sitting in the tree. I have killed two like this. So don’t be so upset if you do push one off on your way in. Baiting is a lot of fun keep us posted and we will help you as much as we can.
Sure thing, I appreciate the help!
Old 03-27-2019, 09:42 AM

Has anyone found a good source for bulk popcorn kernels in whitecourt/Edmonton area? Can find it online for $40 for 50lbs but shipping kills you, $2 a lb gets expensive
Old 03-27-2019, 10:27 AM

Hey Folks
Bread is available again. My kids had a blast doing it last year. They were taught the important lesson that hard work = $ in hand.

$8 for an 86 litre garbage can full- you unpackage individual bread bags
$12 for same size garbage bag full- bread=unpackaged by my kids (dad gets roped into helping too) ready to dump into your bait barrels
Bulk Discount: Buy 10 cans/bags, get 1 free.

PM for orders. Supplies limited
Old 03-27-2019, 10:28 AM

I will look into dog food again. I highly doubt I can source it (like last year ) but I will try
Old 03-27-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Hey Folks
Bread is available again. My kids had a blast doing it last year. They were taught the important lesson that hard work = $ in hand.

$8 for an 86 litre garbage can full- you unpackage individual bread bags
$12 for same size garbage bag full- bread=unpackaged by my kids (dad gets roped into helping too) ready to dump into your bait barrels
Bulk Discount: Buy 10 cans/bags, get 1 free.

PM for orders. Supplies limited
Where are you located ? Definitely interested.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked780 View Post
Where are you located ? Definitely interested.
Sherwood Park Area. Sorry I should have added that
Old 03-27-2019, 01:35 PM
Banned

Default Barrel hook up?

Does anyone have a barrel hook up near Edmonton? Seems like there is a huge demand for the removable lid barrels and they're $40. I bought three last year for $10 each...
Old 03-28-2019, 11:45 AM

I'll have beavers for sale, located in Lethbridge but will be coming north to Edmonton mid April.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:47 PM

There have been some requests for Beavers in Edmonton area. Please post if anyone has any.

NOTE: Make sure to post your location when offering something! Im guilty too....
Old 03-29-2019, 12:35 PM

Default beaver carcus

Hey guys, I'm about to set out some 330's today or tomorrow and catch me some beavers. I am in Blackfalds area so if anyone wants some for some bear bait, let me know!
Thanks
Old 03-29-2019, 04:18 PM

Here’s a hot tip for all you greaseballs out there:
Restaurants will usually give grease away for free. I would wager that 80% of the managers you ask will let you ladle it out of their grease bins in the back of their stores. Use respect, lay cardboard down to catch the drips and bobs your uncle.