Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2019, 01:38 PM
Gone Hunting

I watched the video. It looked like a video game as he went through the mosque shooting anything that moved. He then went back and shot them again. There was not one attempt by anyone to stop him. He also opened fire on the street as he walked back to his vehicle a few minutes later. He was parked a block away. walked down the street and up the drive into the mosque. No one yelled or called the police .

So it looks like a rinse and repeat. The argument never changes, The shooter is the problem in all of the shootings anywhere. Take the shooter out of the incident and everyone goes home.

Take the gun out of the equation and the whackjob finds fertilizer and diesel.

Banning guns doesn't work. Gun registry does not work. More restrictions do not work. UNLESS your goal has nothing to do with stopping these shootings.

I'm as far from a tin foiler as you can get, I believe man landed on the moon and 911 was a terror attack . I'm a little right of Attila politically. But for the life of me I can not understand how these lawmakers continue to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result. I also can't understand why there is so much support for these ideas.

Disarm honest law biding citizens to stop insane misfits from killing people.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-21-2019, 02:11 PM
Banned

Just curious. In the case of a ban on various rifles would those that have the banned firearms be grandfathered in or would they come door knocking to confiscate them?
Old 03-21-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Just curious. In the case of a ban on various rifles would those that have the banned firearms be grandfathered in or would they come door knocking to confiscate them?
All good questions... if they confiscate, will their be compensation? Do the Liberals have the political capital to invest in this with all of their current problems? They'll be in for a huge political fight if they go the ban route.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
All good questions... if they confiscate, will their be compensation? Do the Liberals have the political capital to invest in this with all of their current problems? They'll be in for a huge political fight if they go the ban route.
With the overturned ban on the cz858 they had an amnesty, so long to turn it in before it becomes a prohibited firearm. As far as I know they were not buying them. I wonder how many were turned in and destroyed before they changed the ban.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I watched the video. It looked like a video game as he went through the mosque shooting anything that moved. He then went back and shot them again. There was not one attempt by anyone to stop him. He also opened fire on the street as he walked back to his vehicle a few minutes later. He was parked a block away. walked down the street and up the drive into the mosque. No one yelled or called the police .

So it looks like a rinse and repeat. The argument never changes, The shooter is the problem in all of the shootings anywhere. Take the shooter out of the incident and everyone goes home.

Take the gun out of the equation and the whackjob finds fertilizer and diesel.

Banning guns doesn't work. Gun registry does not work. More restrictions do not work. UNLESS your goal has nothing to do with stopping these shootings.

I'm as far from a tin foiler as you can get, I believe man landed on the moon and 911 was a terror attack . I'm a little right of Attila politically. But for the life of me I can not understand how these lawmakers continue to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result. I also can't understand why there is so much support for these ideas.

Disarm honest law biding citizens to stop insane misfits from killing people.

Law makers do this and will continue to do it for one simple reason, It means votes in high density urban areas .Contrary to popular belief The left does not care one little bit about the population that does not vote for them . We can all collectively walk off the edge of a cliff as far as they care ( the sooner the better). Gun bans are good for votes in Quebec ,Ont. and BC... and that is pretty much all you need to win government in Canuckistan

I would even go so far as to say that the extreme left puts some of these wackos in a position to commit these crimes in order to soften the public's resistance to their not so hidden agenda.. Tinfoil hat talkin?
Old 03-21-2019, 04:42 PM

You think they are going after shotguns too? Hope not. Just bought one I have't even shot.

I hate "black" guns. Not my thing. Many of the people I have personally seem with them at the range seem bizarre.

HOWEVER, they may also think I am bizarre and have every right to. They may also think my bolt actions are stupid and not their thing either.

When this comes forward in Canada, which it will, we sure as heck better be more united than we are on AO because "assault rifles" are just the start. If AO is a representative slice of the firearms community we are doomed. This forum can't even agree on what day of the week it is.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:55 PM

My purpose in making the offer for the video is simply for people to see how things really are. I didn’t enjoy it, wasn’t for entertainment purposes or anything sick like that...
The video is sick, traumatizing and shows all that’s bad with humanity.

I think what we all need to realize is that the world is changing. This sort of thing is going to happen with more and more frequency. AND now a precedent has been set. For all the sickos out there, live streaming an attack like this is the “new thing” to do.

We all saw the 9/11 footage. Saw video of terrified people running away at the Las Vegas mass shooting. We’ve all seen the effects of these shootings - the people in hospital beds, crying families. But this one is new. It was available LIVE for people to watch, AND shows him calmly and coolly as he guns down dozens of people. Some of whom are begging for help and mercy. This video is probably the most traumatizing thing I’ve ever seen - knowing that it’s 100% real.
You can be absolutely sure there will be anti gun activists and lobbyists who will mention this shooting when they say something like “have you seen it? Those guns were legally acquired. They weren’t for hunting, they were for killing. How can we allow these types of weapons in the hands of anyone other than the police and military? How can anyone watch that video and think their hobby is more important than preventing senseless tragedies like that?”

I’m pro-gun. I’m more of a bowhunter, but enjoy target shooting. Habe segeral hand gums and several black “scary” semi-auto type rifles. I’m 100% against registration and the government telling me what i can and can’t do. But i really don’t know how to answer that hypothetical question i posed last paragraph.

We as hunters and sportsmen have a tough job ahead of us. We ask the general public to educate themselves about hunting, conservation, legal use of firearms. I’ll highlight that - EDUCATE THEMSELVES. All I’m saying about the video is that we need to educate ourselves, watch it, and then we can try to defend our sport and passion against those who would try to take it away. I’m hoping better, smarter people than me can give an educated, reasonable response to those that would take it away. But mark my words - the world is changing. And the same old responses won’t hold in this new world where fear mongering wins against logic, and these types of attacks will continue.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:51 PM
Gone Hunting

"How can anyone watch that video and think their hobby is more important than preventing senseless tragedies like that?”

You've fallen in line with the rest of those who believe that banning guns or having a registry, etc. will somehow prevent these senseless tragedies.

By now people should realize that they won't. That is just misdirection and takes resources from finding a solution which is deal with the shooter.

Drunk driver == ban autos.

neighbour has too many kids I should get a vasectomy.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-21-2019, 06:00 PM
Banned

I think what one (Of many) problems we have, is that we as sportsmen have lumped (rightly so ) all semis into the same category. We gave ourselves no room to wiggle. So now, EVERY semi is going too get the Ban.. You might get to keep the rim fire but that will be it.

It's not right but thats what I see coming and I see no way of stopping this.

It will not be long till most firearms are severely restricted or banned. The crazy among us can not control themselves and our arguments are falling on deaf ears. I 100% think the semi fight is over and its just a matter of time. Our energy is probably better spent on making sure we will have some sort of guns to enjoy.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:02 PM

Everyone concerned with your rights as legal and responsable firearm owners., Instead of posting a comment here write a short email addressing your concerns to Bob Sopuck MP. We have a friend in him. Pass it on and share.
info@robertsopuck.ca
Old 03-21-2019, 06:19 PM

Well if anything it should create employment in the construction industry for building all the new jails that will be required to house all the notorious criminals who failed to bend over and give their semis to the corrupt government.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Well if anything it should create employment in the construction industry for building all the new jails that will be required to house all the notorious criminals who failed to bend over and give their semis to the corrupt government.
Maybe they will use gas chambers again...
Old 03-21-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I hate "black" guns. Not my thing. Many of the people I have personally seem with them at the range seem bizarre.

HOWEVER, they may also think I am bizarre and have every right to.....

This forum can't even agree on what day of the week it is.
Why do you 'hate black guns'? Really? As a gun owner, hunter, and rational adult, you should of all people recognize firearms as inanimate tools. Why does their appearance have any bearing, as the function is the same as many non scary black guns? When you categorize 'black gun' owners as bizarre, you are a serious part of the problem. I don't even know what to say. We are doomed as firearm owners. Let's all eat our children while we are at it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-21-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
"How can anyone watch that video and think their hobby is more important than preventing senseless tragedies like that?”

You've fallen in line with the rest of those who believe that banning guns or having a registry, etc. will somehow prevent these senseless tragedies.

By now people should realize that they won't. That is just misdirection and takes resources from finding a solution which is deal with the shooter.

Drunk driver == ban autos.

neighbour has too many kids I should get a vasectomy.
I think you’re misunderstanding me... I’m not agreeing with any ban. I’m simply saying that with this super graphic footage out there, the deaths are more visible and therefor more “real” to the average person. Those people that see it will have those kinds of ideas and thoughts.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:51 PM

Watching the NZ gun forums the Kiwi's are in total shock they weren't expecting a blitzkrieg attack, at 3 PM today thousands are in possession of an illegal firearm.
The government reclassified the semi's with detachable mags to a different class most shooters don't have the license to own, they can't even take them to the range or any place except the police station for disposal, to eliminate hoarding and stockpiling the police are expected to have all guns collected within 3 weeks reimbursement will follow at a later time.

The SKS escapes because of its non detachable mag at least for now

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.nz/forum.php
Old 03-21-2019, 07:07 PM
Banned

It’s unfortunate that innocent people were murdered again. The wife has family in New Zealand and I talk to one of them frequently. He is very wealthy and is a gun collector. He’s pretty choked!

I think the government knows banning guns does nothing to keep mentally ill people from going postal. I also think they just do it to make the public feel more comfortable when things like this happen. Basically they know there is nothing they can do. When they take my legally purchased guns away I will buy that illegal imported hand gun I’ve been eyeing up just for spite.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Watching the NZ gun forums the Kiwi's are in total shock they weren't expecting a blitzkrieg attack, at 3 PM today thousands are in possession of an illegal firearm.
The government reclassified the semi's with detachable mags to a different class most shooters don't have the license to own, they can't even take them to the range or any place except the police station for disposal, to eliminate hoarding and stockpiling the police are expected to have all guns collected within 3 weeks reimbursement will follow at a later time.

The SKS escapes because of its non detachable mag at least for now

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.nz/forum.php
Wow! That’s what I fear will happen here as Turdo will follow suit.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:24 PM

If their is any kind of a ban then I expect a bit like what has happened in Quebec where only 16% have registered their unregistered firearms. Civil disobedience by inaction/apathy and Bill C-71 killed off come the next election. Most police forces will neither have the time nor the budget to send out confiscation squads. Those with sensible leadership would keep their ranks busy doing actual policing rather than harassing the low hanging fruit / law-abiding gun owners.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Why do you 'hate black guns'? Really? As a gun owner, hunter, and rational adult, you should of all people recognize firearms as inanimate tools. Why does their appearance have any bearing, as the function is the same as many non scary black guns? When you categorize 'black gun' owners as bizarre, you are a serious part of the problem. I don't even know what to say. We are doomed as firearm owners. Let's all eat our children while we are at it.
Simmer down. My personal experience which I enunciated is based on a handful of wholesale who would plunk down next to me and spray me with brass. Caused me to leave two separate ranges. Some wore WWII army paraphernalia from a country which my relatives shed bled fighting against in WWII. I don't need to go any further n describing their attire as you can easily figure out which country. It wasn't Italy and it wasn't Japan either. Only one left. Despite my distaste for the small group of people I have had negative experiences with, I clearly said they have as much right to their guns, and their likes as I do to mine. Then I went on to say if they take those guns that is only the starting point, and m ii ne are next. I don't know how you misconstrued what I said.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2019, 07:40 PM

But that's ok cuz you are an awesome dude

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2019, 08:45 PM

Default How does a complet ban work just like this:

Police announce process to hand over reclassified MSSAs

ast Friday, our country was shocked by a brutal and senseless attack. We recognise our world has changed.

Police focus is on ensuring the immediate safety and peace of mind of our communities.

Today, the Government has made immediate changes to classifications in the Arms Act which will mean some firearms are going to be reclassified as military style semi-automatic firearms (MSSAs).

At 3pm today, changes have been by an Order in Council under section 74A(c) of the Arms Act came into force adding two more groups of semi-automatics under the MSSA definition:

• a semi-automatic firearm that is capable of being used in combination with a detachable magazine (other than one designed to hold 0.22-inch or less rimfire cartridges) that is capable of holding more than 5 cartridges; and

• a semi-automatic firearm that is a shotgun and is capable of being used in combination with a detachable magazine that is capable of holding more than 5 cartridges.

As a result of these changes many people who, up until now have owned these firearms legally, will no longer be able to possess them on their current licence conditions.

This means for many people, you will now be in unlawful possession of your firearm.

Given this is an immediate change, there is an amnesty to allow the notification and hand in their firearms to Police.

To organise the hand in of your firearm, you will need to complete a form on the Police website. Those who are unable to do so can call Police on 0800 311 311.

When the form is submitted Police will be notified you are in possession of a firearm that needs to be handed in. We will contact you to organise a suitable time and place for you to hand over your firearm. This may mean you bring it to Police at an allocated time, or a Police employee comes to you directly to collect the firearm.

I can’t emphasise enough that in the current environment, it is important you do not take your now-unlawful firearm anywhere without notifying Police. It is absolutely vital that we manage the safe and organised transport of all firearms into Police custody.

There is clear information on our website around what firearms are affected by the change and what to do if your firearm if affected.

The Government has signalled there will be further changes made over the coming weeks to ban all military style semi-automatics and assault rifles permanently.

While legislation is being finalised, the Government in the interim has acted to restrict the potential stock-piling of these guns, parts and high-capacity magazines, prevent additional purchases and encourage people to notify Police about their intention to hand in their firearms.

We will continue to update the public and especially the firearms community as required.

ENDS

Issued by Police Media Centre

https://www.police.govt.nz/news/rele...cANLnInQi9qSr4
Old 03-21-2019, 09:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Police announce process to hand over reclassified MSSAs

ast Friday, our country was shocked by a brutal and senseless attack. We recognise our world has changed.

Police focus is on ensuring the immediate safety and peace of mind of our communities.

Today, the Government has made immediate changes to classifications in the Arms Act which will mean some firearms are going to be reclassified as military style semi-automatic firearms (MSSAs).

At 3pm today, changes have been by an Order in Council under section 74A(c) of the Arms Act came into force adding two more groups of semi-automatics under the MSSA definition:

• a semi-automatic firearm that is capable of being used in combination with a detachable magazine (other than one designed to hold 0.22-inch or less rimfire cartridges) that is capable of holding more than 5 cartridges; and

• a semi-automatic firearm that is a shotgun and is capable of being used in combination with a detachable magazine that is capable of holding more than 5 cartridges.

As a result of these changes many people who, up until now have owned these firearms legally, will no longer be able to possess them on their current licence conditions.

This means for many people, you will now be in unlawful possession of your firearm.

Given this is an immediate change, there is an amnesty to allow the notification and hand in their firearms to Police.

To organise the hand in of your firearm, you will need to complete a form on the Police website. Those who are unable to do so can call Police on 0800 311 311.

When the form is submitted Police will be notified you are in possession of a firearm that needs to be handed in. We will contact you to organise a suitable time and place for you to hand over your firearm. This may mean you bring it to Police at an allocated time, or a Police employee comes to you directly to collect the firearm.

I can’t emphasise enough that in the current environment, it is important you do not take your now-unlawful firearm anywhere without notifying Police. It is absolutely vital that we manage the safe and organised transport of all firearms into Police custody.

There is clear information on our website around what firearms are affected by the change and what to do if your firearm if affected.

The Government has signalled there will be further changes made over the coming weeks to ban all military style semi-automatics and assault rifles permanently.

While legislation is being finalised, the Government in the interim has acted to restrict the potential stock-piling of these guns, parts and high-capacity magazines, prevent additional purchases and encourage people to notify Police about their intention to hand in their firearms.

We will continue to update the public and especially the firearms community as required.

ENDS

Issued by Police Media Centre

https://www.police.govt.nz/news/rele...cANLnInQi9qSr4
They need to refuse to comply, every last one of them!

Screw the script.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
"....There was not one attempt by anyone to stop him...."
In the 17min video,
there appeared to be one person who charged the gunman @7:04