Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2016, 07:36 AM

Smile Alberta PC election for leader?

Is any one here an insider? What is going on? It seems like they are trying to move hard right, like Social Credit used to be. Is that right? Are they trying to be more like the Wild Rose party?

Is there a preferred candidate who is not Jason Kennedy?

Does anyone see a chance for a "merger" on the right before the next election?

I know it is not the US election but it matters a lot to all of us.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:51 AM

Awful lot of urinating into the wind, at the moment. From what I've heard most leadership candidates and other higher ups arent thrilled about a merger, but there is grumbling from within the ranks that it is necessary. I tend to agree that it is necesssry and while I'm not really a fan of Kenny, I do think he could get it done. He knows what he has to do and has done it before.

I don't know about the wild Rosies. They are an ideological bunch and may or may not be able to jettison the lake of fire types. Brian jean is widely respected but needs to decide between being forever opposition or part of a winning team. Would sure like to see him as an environment/AEP minister.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:36 AM

The JK organization is pretty active. I've already had a couple of calls.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:08 AM

Ain't nobody in that crowd that's guts, smarts or personality to do what's needed IMO.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Awful lot of urinating into the wind, at the moment. From what I've heard most leadership candidates and other higher ups arent thrilled about a merger, but there is grumbling from within the ranks that it is necessary. I tend to agree that it is necesssry and while I'm not really a fan of Kenny, I do think he could get it done. He knows what he has to do and has done it before.

I don't know about the wild Rosies. They are an ideological bunch and may or may not be able to jettison the lake of fire types. Brian jean is widely respected but needs to decide between being forever opposition or part of a winning team. Would sure like to see him as an environment/AEP minister.
I think you have nailed the essence of both parties. Yes, Kenney is not the ideal person to lead a united right, however, there is no one else out there who could get things done. Kenney is a smart, organized and driven retail politician. I too very much respect Brian Jean, but I don't think he can pull off a coalescing of those who are right of center. Let's face it, he has trouble keeping a Fildebrandt in check.

And yes, the lake of fire types are an issue. Heck we have a bunch of them on AO. But if one wants to see a conservative leaning government in Alberta, having two (or three if one includes the Alberta Party) in the mix will only split the vote.

So, just as those who were fed up with political correctness in the States helped Trump win, we may have to just accept Kenney's shortfalls, at least for now.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:54 AM

There are issues with each Right wing party that concern me. First of all I believe whole heartedly in a merger. That is the sure means to get rid of the NDP. Saying that, both parties have wing nuts in them that need to be culled! The PC's have too many old boys club still pushing their policies, as well as several caucus members that should be on the other side of the room. The WR has a few caucus members that are too far Right and quite frankly too redneck to have credibility. A merger needs to happen, but as far as I'm concerned, it needs to have the best of both parties under a new name. If they can't pull it together under terms similar to what I've outlined, I will continue to vote WR.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:58 AM

I would be all for starting a petition to get Danielle Smith back.
She was PC then got disgruntle during stelmach, so stepped over to WR. Then she effectively and completely dismantled redford/horner.
Then the power got to her and she made a mistake.

Im over it now and sure most everyone else is.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:13 PM

Trump won by taking over the Republican Party from the inside. The Republicans hate him. Trump is essentially an independent running under the banner of the Republicans. Tens of millions voted for Trump that would not have bothered voting if it had been anyone else.

Just as enthusiasm is dead for the same old Conservatives in America, there is none for the same old Conservatives in Alberta. The NDP won precisely because people were sick of the same old Conservatives and wanted change.

Uniting the right under the PC party again is not going to work. (They might win the election, but they won't generate much interest and they probably won't do what's required to make Alberta great again).

The Wild Rose Party is currently the best option for Alberta, but Brian Jean is too quiet and timid. There's no chance with him. He's also too libertarian and doesn't quite grasp the gravity of the issues facing the province and country.

Brexit had Nigel Farage. America had Trump. Alberta doesn't have anyone up to the task.

Punished Putin's prediction: Things have to get much worse in Canada and in Alberta.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:32 PM

The PC party is split between the conservative members and the Libs and Dippers that infiltrated the PC party starting with the Stelmach era (he being one of them) Some of the other Lib and Dipper infiltrators are Redford and Janson. They don't want to merge with the Wildrose because the WR are conservative and a merger would weaken the lefty goals of the infiltrators.

That's the view from my saddle.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
The PC party is split between the conservative members and the Libs and Dippers that infiltrated the PC party starting with the Stelmach era (he being one of them) Some of the other Lib and Dipper infiltrators are Redford and Janson. They don't want to merge with the Wildrose because the WR are conservative and a merger would weaken the lefty goals of the infiltrators.

That's the view from my saddle.
I would suggest Stelmach was not a liberal or dipper in any manner. He's a decent man who was over his head, and I actually see similarities between him and Brian Jean. Good people, but can't get the ball over the goal line.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
She was PC then got disgruntle during stelmach, so stepped over to WR. Then she effectively and completely dismantled redford/horner.

NOT EVEN CLOSE.

I never want to hear from Danielle Smith again...
Old 11-10-2016, 03:22 PM

The conservatives never learned their lesson when they were kicked out in the last election. too arrogant. Now on the weekend when they ran out the two female candidates whether good or bad they show they still are arrogant.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
The conservatives never learned their lesson when they were kicked out in the last election. too arrogant. Now on the weekend when they ran out the two female candidates whether good or bad they show they still are arrogant.
Nobody ran anyone out. Two potential candidates dropped out.

For a merger to happen, something else needs to happen: Each party needs to decide what positions it can compromise on. The PC's simply won't join a WR party that refuses to soften or abandon it's stand on social issues. And the PC's are going to have to bend on some positions as well. There is a reason people join one party or the other. Those reasons don't just disappear because you want to get rid of the NDP.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

For a merger to happen, something else needs to happen: Each party needs to decide what positions it can compromise on. The PC's simply won't join a WR party that refuses to soften or abandon it's stand on social issues. And the PC's are going to have to bend on some positions as well. There is a reason people join one party or the other. Those reasons don't just disappear because you want to get rid of the NDP.
In other words, a two or more term NDP government...... JK ain't no Ralph or Brad
Old 11-10-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:

So much wrong in this statement...
Old 11-10-2016, 04:58 PM

LOL

I guess its still too early.

I wonder why ive gotten over it.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
In other words, a two or more term NDP government...... JK ain't no Ralph or Brad
Well, WR members can always fold the party and come back to the PC fold and then defeat the NDP.

What? Don't want to defeat the NDP that badly? LOL
Old 11-10-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:

that is not what the news or the two female candidates are saying. They have lost my vote already
Old 11-10-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Why ain't JK no Ralph or Brad? Why does he need to be?
Old 11-10-2016, 06:21 PM

theres a bunch of liberal/ndp people buying PC memberships so they can vote against Kenney. They think he is the anti-christ. these people need to get jobs...
Old 11-10-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:

Maybe as a pole dancer at a biker reunion.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Well, WR members can always fold the party and come back to the PC fold and then defeat the NDP.

What? Don't want to defeat the NDP that badly? LOL
This

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Why ain't JK no Ralph or Brad? Why does he need to be?
Yes
Old 11-10-2016, 10:11 PM

Uniting the parties won't win the next election against the NDP. Its not that simple as some think. The PC's and Wildrose didn't split the right vote in the last election- it was disgruntled PC voters who voted for NDP which caused the NDP majority. All you need to look at the past election statistics and you'll see exactly what happened. Before the 2015 election, PC's held 72 out 87 seats and the Wildrose held 5. After the election, PC's held only 11 and Wildrose got 21, which means Wildrose only gained 16 of the 61 defective PC seats, leaving the remaining 45 seats going to NDP. That's not splitting the right vote at all as far as numbers go.

In order to win the next election, a party has to win back those voters who went LEFT, and uniting two RIGHT parties (one with considerably more conservative views) will not do this. The only way is to have a party which appeals to the majority of the population and go for the centre. As strong as many of you think the right wing vote would be, the rural/conservative populations in the province don't even come close to stacking up against the urban and suburban centres which are more centre-left leaning. A great example of how weak the right wing movements are can be seen with the recent "Rally for resources". The turnout for these rallies was dismal. Apparently they are seeking 500 000 signatures to "Axe the tax", but seeing as how maybe 5000 only showed up province wide to protest, they will be lucky to get 50 000 signatures at best. I'm not a supporter of the carbon tax either - I just think this province isn't as conservative as some think it is.

I would venture further to say that uniting the right parties would almost guarantee a 2nd term for the NDP, unless somehow a more centre-leaning party with conservative roots is formed by uniting the PC and Wildrose, which is clearly not happening considering recent events. If Jason Kenney thinks he's going to pull a Trump, he better remind himself that we don't use the electoral college here - its first past the post, which requires a much different strategy.