Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2013, 05:00 PM

Default Mechanical question about a 98 ram.

I am having over charging problems with my 98 ram 1500. I have changed the alternator, changed the PCM, and tried a different battery. Nothing changed when I did all of this. From online searches I think I have a grounding issue. Does anyone know where I can get an electrical pin out for my PCM?

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-26-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NayNay View Post
I am having over charging problems with my 98 ram 1500. I have changed the alternator, changed the PCM, and tried a different battery. Nothing changed when I did all of this. From online searches I think I have a grounding issue. Does anyone know where I can get an electrical pin out for my PCM?

Thanks for the help!
buy a new truck cheapsake!!!!
Old 05-26-2013, 08:40 PM

If you think you have grounding issues, the first thing I would do would be to put in new grounds from the frame to the engine, frame to the body.

Run a 10 gauge wire, solder and heat shrink preferred, crimp connectors if you have to, clean off the mounting points fairly well.

I have had grounding problems in the past, can you tell me what lead you to believe this is your problem?
Old 05-26-2013, 09:07 PM

Default Ram

What is your alternator output voltage at the battery with the truck running
Old 05-26-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
buy a new truck cheapsake!!!!
What's a "cheapsake"????
Old 05-26-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionab1 View Post
What is your alternator output voltage at the battery with the truck running
17.4 or 17.6 volts..... way to much lol. But what I do know is that 17V is way to much for my command start. It was very exciting when it blew up while I was driving down the road filling the cab with very thick white smoke lol.

I have no Idea which ground it could be. I have been reading lots and other people have had this problem and it was a ground for the PCM. So I need a pin out to start tracing wires out.

Keith I did buy a new truck because this one left me walking with this problem on boxing day! Just trying to get it up and running again.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NayNay View Post
17.4 or 17.6 volts..... way to much lol. But what I do know is that 17V is way to much for my command start. It was very exciting when it blew up while I was driving down the road filling the cab with very thick white smoke lol.

I have no Idea which ground it could be. I have been reading lots and other people have had this problem and it was a ground for the PCM. So I need a pin out to start tracing wires out.

Keith I did buy a new truck because this one left me walking with this problem on boxing day! Just trying to get it up and running again.
Did the new alternator come complete with a voltage regulator installed or did you have to put stuff on it. Also not sure if that model had built in regulators or if they were stand alone.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:33 PM

Just go online by searching 1998 Dodge Ram 1500. Ask your question and you will get answers.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionab1 View Post
Did the new alternator come complete with a voltage regulator installed or did you have to put stuff on it. Also not sure if that model had built in regulators or if they were stand alone.
The Haynes manual says the voltage is regulated by the PCM. The system was over charging @ 15.6V with the old alternator. When I put the new one in it jump to 17 something.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:04 PM

You can add an aftermarket voltage regulator. Easy to wire up. About $50 at any parts store. I have one on my 01 Cummins.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:28 PM

I've seen this a few times with the Dodge, .......one battery is not making sufficient connection, ...clean the posts and clamps, tighten well, ...maybe sink a metal screw between the post and clamps. Despite trying this, I've been forced to take it to the dealer, they make the connections work!!