Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-11-2018, 12:27 PM

Default 2018 fishing reg changes

I'm trying to get a handle on what the province is really going to do

Many are seeing the brouchures that touch on closing watersheds in the es 2-4 zones.

Now I'd like to think it's just the listed fisheries. But the way part of it read lead many to believe they are closing flowing waters in all of es2, es3 and es4....

Can anyone shed light?

I would assume it is just the nsr, berland, Clearwater, kakwa, etc but..... in the brouchure it also read..... stock ponds and lakes will remain open unless otherwise specified.

Well we all know that there isn't a stocked pond or lake within the Clearwater or nsr.....

Is it actually possible they are shutting down the whole zones? Or just the listed fisheries. And if you think it's just the listed fisheries.... then why did they have to go ahead and say that stocked ponds and lakes will remain open....

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 02-11-2018, 12:29 PM

Few of the brochure pages
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5306.jpg (55.1 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5305.jpg (45.4 KB, 74 views)

Old 02-11-2018, 12:44 PM

There has been a literal ton posted on this on this site. But of course, it doesn't help that the Fisheries Management Changes link on the AEP site is dead.

That said, only water bodies with sustainability index of 2 or less will see changes. So not entire water sheds. As for which, well, you can look at the sustainability index and guess from there. I think the difference for some of the moving waters will be a fishing ban versus the lakes where current retention will be reduced to zero. At least that is my best guess based on their "consultation".

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...g/default.aspx
Old 02-11-2018, 12:46 PM

Sure hope they don't close the creeks I like to fish. If there really is low fish numbers then maybe SRD should try closing it to retention over closing it to fishing. Not many people are willing to do the hiking in and out and up and down on these smaller streams so I have a hard time believing the fishermen are hurting the population that much. Here's another idea make the creeks single barbless hooks don't need trebles to do catch and release ( in my opinion ) or go crazy and make it fly fishing only. All options before flat out closing the creeks almost no one fishes.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:54 PM

Thanks SNAP

I did scroll through the first few pages looking for a post on reg changes and fishery closures but was surprised I didn't find any.

Just doing what digging I can to try to separate the facts from the rest. The brouchure leaves me confused and concerned.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherPotch View Post
Thanks SNAP

I did scroll through the first few pages looking for a post on reg changes and fishery closures but was surprised I didn't find any.

Just doing what digging I can to try to separate the facts from the rest. The brouchure leaves me confused and concerned.
For sure. It doesn't help that the link that should provide the information is dead. I think I see what changes are coming. I'm just curious if it will be all the 2 or less or a select of some. Till then, another F&W mystery.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:37 PM

They plan on shutting down portions of those river systems(ie the portion of river plus tributaries etc). The protions can be found on this programs website(assuming it is still up).

I have seen rumors of other closures outside of this programs reaches(ie southern ab) and there are also major scale changes proposed for many pike and walleye lakes as well as some other rivers. I have heard that some people have already seen new preliminary regs and that there are huge changes coming next year.

I believe it is too late to stop these changes this year so now we need to wait and see what will come out in the new regs next month. If its as bad as I have a feeling it might be hopefully we can get enough angler involvement to finally put a stop to some of these programs/actions by either convincing the bios to do things differently or getting MLAs etc involved if necessary.