Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-15-2013, 01:42 PM

Smile Great day of fishing on July 14 2013

Camped overnight at Travers dam provincial park. Didn't catch anything on Saturday July 13th, Sunday was much better.

Ended up catching 4 fish myself.

In Travers I caught a juvenile Pike (from the docks of the Bible camp before they kicked us out - didn't know it was private), a whitefish from the docks at Little Bow provincial park, a tiny baby walleye at those same docks, and finally a rainbow trout out of the Bow river.

I kept the whitefish and rainbow.

Pic: http://i.imgur.com/jXRtHfp.jpg

Travers

The water was clear, warm, with very little wind in the morning. By early afternoon it started getting REALLY windy. There were entire families fishing from the Little Bow campground docks, so we headed north to McGregor for some Pike.

McGregor Lake

Went to two places. First was the southern bridge just north of the spillway between the lakes. Water was pretty clear, clean, but the wind was relentless. Saw someone pull up a big walleye here. We then went north to the rock damn. The water up there was very dirty and full of debris. We were casting towards the wind so it was horrible haha. Didn't stay long.

Bow river

Decided to stop off at the Bow on the way back to Calgary, near De winton or whatever its called. Down by the new south hospital. The water was pretty dirty still. Lost around $20 in lures within 30 minutes, but, ended up catching the above rainbow on a basic little spinner. Friend caught a trout himself, but it was the size of a large goldfish, back it went.

I've never caught a rainbow before. It fought harder than anything else I've ever caught.

Really had a good day out. Lots of sun and Tim's.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackmacs View Post
Camped overnight at Travers dam provincial park. Didn't catch anything on Saturday July 13th, Sunday was much better.

Ended up catching 4 fish myself.

In Travers I caught a juvenile Pike (from the docks of the Bible camp before they kicked us out - didn't know it was private), a whitefish from the docks at Little Bow provincial park, a tiny baby walleye at those same docks, and finally a rainbow trout out of the Bow river.

I kept the whitefish and rainbow.

Pic: http://i.imgur.com/jXRtHfp.jpg

Travers

The water was clear, warm, with very little wind in the morning. By early afternoon it started getting REALLY windy. There were entire families fishing from the Little Bow campground docks, so we headed north to McGregor for some Pike.

McGregor Lake

Went to two places. First was the southern bridge just north of the spillway between the lakes. Water was pretty clear, clean, but the wind was relentless. Saw someone pull up a big walleye here. We then went north to the rock damn. The water up there was very dirty and full of debris. We were casting towards the wind so it was horrible haha. Didn't stay long.

Bow river

Decided to stop off at the Bow on the way back to Calgary, near De winton or whatever its called. Down by the new south hospital. The water was pretty dirty still. Lost around $20 in lures within 30 minutes, but, ended up catching the above rainbow on a basic little spinner. Friend caught a trout himself, but it was the size of a large goldfish, back it went.

I've never caught a rainbow before. It fought harder than anything else I've ever caught.

Really had a good day out. Lots of sun and Tim's.
From the sounds of it, I was beside you on the canal yesterday..I think..
Were you driving a black dodge? You had mentioned that you came from travers...I had a white chevy and my kids camping out there for the weekend
Old 07-15-2013, 01:52 PM

Nope heh, not us. We didn't stay too too long. If you were the guy with a 10-11 year old and 7-8 year old, fishing under/beside the bridge, then yes, we saw you

If that was you, looks like you left empty handed
Old 07-15-2013, 02:04 PM

Nope...Didn't go to the south end...Stayed in the canal because the wind sucked coming from the SOuth on the rocks...Fishing was very slow....In about 5 hours of fishing between Saturday and Sunday, only managed maybe a 2lb wallie and a hammerhandle pike.. and they both inhaled the hook..Had to cut the line...That was it for the weekend

Feel sorry for the kids for the lack of action but they still had a good time..LOL

Tags
bow, mcgregor, travers, trout, whitefish