Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-08-2018, 09:42 AM
Banned

Default 9 years...

...ago I joined this forum while serving my last month on the job before retirement. A desk job after 32 years out in the cold. I hooked up with a few guys on this page and we agreed to meet Nicemustang and JTS1 for an ice fishing trip to Spray Lakes. 6 guys became 12 guys and we walked a mile to set up. About this time of year. Fine fellows all.

None of those guys post here anymore, although Jeff's Bow River Map thread pops up from time to time, and I have gone on to fish mostly in Saskatchewan. Plus the WCWT every June.

I have met other walleye fanatics thru' this forum and have had many great days of fishing since that time, particularly on the tournament trail. I hope that there are a lot of anglers/shooters who have joined forces and made new friends vis-à-vis this forum and that the tradition of meeting like minded sportsmen continues.

Free
Old 02-08-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
...ago I joined this forum while serving my last month on the job before retirement. A desk job after 32 years out in the cold. I hooked up with a few guys on this page and we agreed to meet Nicemustang and JTS1 for an ice fishing trip to Spray Lakes. 6 guys became 12 guys and we walked a mile to set up. About this time of year. Fine fellows all.

None of those guys post here anymore, although Jeff's Bow River Map thread pops up from time to time, and I have gone on to fish mostly in Saskatchewan. Plus the WCWT every June.

I have met other walleye fanatics thru' this forum and have had many great days of fishing since that time, particularly on the tournament trail. I hope that there are a lot of anglers/shooters who have joined forces and made new friends vis-à-vis this forum and that the tradition of meeting like minded sportsmen continues.

Free
Young-ling!

This May it will be 11 years for me. But if I really want to reminisce, who here remembers “Doc’s board”? ….I think it was called Fishing Alberta. It had the conversation style interface which indented a bit for replies. Made for some crazy, hard to read, threads when there were tons of replies.
Met a lot of peeps there that I still fish with today. And some that I don’t…
Old 02-08-2018, 03:40 PM

Hmmm...never thought to look before, but I guess I just had my 9 year anniversary too.

Things sure have changed...but I still fish or hunt with people I have met on this forum. A few of us still get together for wings once a month, but soooo many people from back when I first joined have moved on. We used to have get-togethers at various lakes in winter or summer and those were good times.

Here's to 9 more years....or more.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 02-08-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Free
do you fish the southern alberta walleye trail .
Old 02-08-2018, 06:07 PM
Banned

No. Moved over here, discovered Delaronde and signed up. Many thanx to bsnyder, a long gone poster.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Young-ling!

This May it will be 11 years for me. But if I really want to reminisce, who here remembers “Doc’s board”? ….I think it was called Fishing Alberta. It had the conversation style interface which indented a bit for replies. Made for some crazy, hard to read, threads when there were tons of replies.
Good times That place was quite a bit bigger than the fishing section here for quite a while then Doc got rid of it...i think he just didnt have the time any more.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:28 PM

Default love perdue sk

little off topic but those farmers there were good to me around there when I was a younger chap, always let me hunt their land or set me up with their friends
Old 02-09-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Young-ling!

Going on 11 years here

At the end of Docs board there was myself and another fella that kept posting to try and keep it alive. Then Doc offered it to me to take over if I wanted, I declined due to many other things going on in my life. Fond memories of " Fishing Alberta".

Dodger.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:58 AM

Doc's board had a good, flowing, conversational tone about it. I miss it. Back around that time, the Alberta Outdoorsmen Magazine was in a newspaper format!
Old 02-09-2018, 08:29 AM

10 years for me. There's a lot of guys that don't post anymore. Still think though the best thread ever was the piecing thread. I made a few good friends off of here.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 02-09-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Going on 11 years here

At the end of Docs board there was myself and another fella that kept posting to try and keep it alive. Then Doc offered it to me to take over if I wanted, I declined due to many other things going on in my life. Fond memories of " Fishing Alberta".

Dodger.
Interesting! Yeah, good memories.

You want to hear an amazing stat I just saw Dodger, you and I joined AO in the same month and on this particular post on reminiscing about Doc’s old board, we have the exact same number of posts 2,445….
What the odds of that! 10+ years and same number of posts and it occurred on a thread talking about when we joined. I think we really are both amazing!
Old 02-09-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Young-ling!

I was on docs board....seems like forever ago. Must be 11 or 12 years now. I don't contribute much anymore other than surfacing to share the odd trout pic but still browse to see how things are going.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Interesting! Yeah, good memories.

You want to hear an amazing stat I just saw Dodger, you and I joined AO in the same month and on this particular post on reminiscing about Doc’s old board, we have the exact same number of posts 2,445….
What the odds of that! 10+ years and same number of posts and it occurred on a thread talking about when we joined. I think we really are both amazing!

Dodger.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Going on 11 years here

Dodger.
I guess only 8 yrs for me now.got out a lot more in the fishing alberta days

even got to do a fishing alberta episode at pine lake with T chow
& a few others off the board.Good Times!

Orv.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:10 PM

Buncha old farts

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-09-2018, 12:12 PM

Buncha old farts and ya I resemble that remark too met alot of good people through this forum

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-09-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Buncha old farts
Yep! you included Wayne! lol
Old 02-09-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Buncha old farts and ya I resemble that remark too met alot of good people through this forum
Ditto!
Old 02-09-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Doc's board had a good, flowing, conversational tone about it. I miss it. Back around that time, the Alberta Outdoorsmen Magazine was in a newspaper format!
i still have copies of the newspaper format.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:55 PM

Been on this forum since 2000 or so and this specific iteration of it for 11 years. Met a lot of good people off this forum over the years.

Also remember Doc's board as well. Met some good guys off of there on the Paddle Derby thread I think it was called if my memory serves me right.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
i still have copies of the newspaper format.
hey you and I joined the same month too. guess I talk a lot more than you though from the looks of it

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 02-09-2018, 06:50 PM

Working up to year 11 for me. I don't get as involved as I used to but still do. Met a lot of fun people here and still fish with a few posters here and see some of the old boys like Wayne occasionally. Several of the originals that have been mentioned are all part of some Facebook fishing groups and keep in touch there.
Wings first Wednesday of the month still gathers several. Too bad many have drifted away but with changes and different morons joining a lot of the original commoradary is gone other than a few small groups.
Just not like the old days as they say but life goes on.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Buncha old farts
Says diaper boy!

I have met some outstanding people/fisherman over the years from these forums.

Dodger.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Says diaper boy!

Dodger.
you must be retired by now eh? Id think the guy who invented the wheel would get plenty in residuals you and I have to hit the ice/water again one of these days its been a long time !

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 02-10-2018, 05:26 AM

Quote:
you must be retired by now eh? Id think the guy who invented the wheel would get plenty in residuals you and I have to hit the ice/water again one of these days its been a long time !
Says the guy who invented dirt!

Looks like a good year for some high runoff. You know where I’m going with this comment. I need to go back to the willows to get even with that Dino!

Dodger
Old 02-10-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Says the guy who invented dirt!

Looks like a good year for some high runoff. You know where I’m going with this comment. I need to go back to the willows to get even with that Dino!

Dodger
oddly enough I saved that video, guess you havent thumbed the spool on a dino since?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDCel-aXGHk

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 02-10-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
oddly enough I saved that video, guess you havent thumbed the spool on a dino since?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDCel-aXGHk
I still have night sweats about that!

Dodger.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
No. Moved over here, discovered Delaronde and signed up. Many thanx to bsnyder, a long gone poster.
Long time since I saw the name bsnyder on here. How is ol' Bob and his wife doing anyways?? Great people those two, would love to get back out there and see them again.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:35 AM
Banned

Default Bob the Builder, a fishin' Christian.

Bob and Grace are doing okay. He sold his Pro V and bought a cabin cruiser and rarely fishes any more. They adopted one of their foster children and usually have one or two others around so they keep busy in their family life.

Haven't seen you around lately. Still at it?
Old 02-11-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Bob and Grace are doing okay. He sold his Pro V and bought a cabin cruiser and rarely fishes any more. They adopted one of their foster children and usually have one or two others around so they keep busy in their family life.

Haven't seen you around lately. Still at it?
Good to hear they're doing ok. Too bad he's not getting out more but sometimes that happens for awhile until something lights a fire under your ass and you get back at'er again...or not...lol

I'm still around and still at it but in a more laid back kinda way I guess...lol I got my "freedom" back a couple years ago so I've been taking advantage of it...