Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-11-2011, 09:11 PM

Default Satisfied,/no, extremely satisfied customer

I went into a "Fishin" store the other day on south side of Edmonton 91st st north of Whitemud Dr. I was looking at purchasing a baitcaster . I have never had one and thought I would like to try one . The guy behind the counter spend a good amount of time with me and showed me several different reels . I was kind of waffling a bit but had pretty much decided to go ahead and get one when he pipes up and says,tell you what.. I just got a new one myself and I was gonna give my old one away to someone .How would you like to have it ? That way you can see if you like that style of reel and no loss if you don't . I was stunned ! this guy didn't know me from Adam but was purely interested in promoting the sport . We chatted about some great fishing spots on the NSR and when I left, I knew that I would be spending the majority of my future fishing budget in his store .

P.S. Been practicing in the yard and the reel works perfectly
Old 05-11-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I went into a "Fishin" store the other day on south side of Edmonton 91st st north of Whitemud Dr. I was looking at purchasing a baitcaster . I have never had one and thought I would like to try one . The guy behind the counter spend a good amount of time with me and showed me several different reels . I was kind of waffling a bit but had pretty much decided to go ahead and get one when he pipes up and says,tell you what.. I just got a new one myself and I was gonna give my old one away to someone .How would you like to have it ? That way you can see if you like that style of reel and no loss if you don't . I was stunned ! this guy didn't know me from Adam but was purely interested in promoting the sport . We chatted about some great fishing spots on the NSR and when I left, I knew that I would be spending the majority of my future fishing budget in his store .

Great story, im tired of people complaining about the one or two times they had poor customer service. Its good to see someone share their good experience because there are still a lot of great salespeople out there who truly care about helping you out. Good luck with the new reel!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:04 PM

amen man, nice post. People complain about the dumbest little things sometimes, like "the man" is out to get them. Good to see people actually greatful for those who give out help.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:39 PM

Default Thank you

For those of us on the other side of the retail counter who serve hundreds of retail customers in a day and only hear about the one who is pi$$ed because we can't make the product or force the US manufacturer to give us priority over their domestic customers or military contracts it is nice to hear someone got great service and mentioned it.
Rob
Old 05-11-2011, 10:51 PM

Unfortunately it seems people are most likely to give out a whine than they are to give praise now a days.

People are so fast to criticize and get caught up in semantics and trying to make someone wrong and force their opinion as being right.

I too have fallen into this trap but I am trying to take a step back and make better decisions before I toss out criticism.

The other day I took the time to pull aside my Son's swimming lesson teacher and point out that I appreciated the time she spent with him in the class of 6, he is one of the smaller kids and not a stong swimmer but she takes the time to show him how to do things properly and re-enforces how to practice and work on it.

When I first asked if I could talk to her for a minute this look of terror came accross her face because I am sure she assumed a butt-chewing was about to ensue. I delivered a bit of credit where it was due and I think she really appreciated it.

Without singing kooobayah .....I think if people took the time to double up on the compliments and half the criticism things would go alot smoother in general.

I have money on the fact that this thread will not be half as long as the whiner thread

Lefty
Old 05-11-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:

That's an awesome story. I'm glad to hear when something like that happens.

I don't understand why you would basically start a sub thread of an original.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 05-11-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:

Was it Jerry? That guy is one awesome dude
Old 05-11-2011, 11:30 PM

Very well said guys. For everyone on this site who works behind the counter, and im sure there are plenty of you, the one unsatisfied customer that speaks out does not speak for the rest of us. We all appreciate your effort to improve our time spent outdoors, be it fishing, hunting, camping, ect. I for one will make sure to post my next pleasant experience at my local outdoors store here in Calgary. Keep up the good work!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Unfortunately it seems people are most likely to give out a whine than they are to give praise now a days.

People are so fast to criticize and get caught up in semantics and trying to make someone wrong and force their opinion as being right.

I too have fallen into this trap but I am trying to take a step back and make better decisions before I toss out criticism.

The other day I took the time to pull aside my Son's swimming lesson teacher and point out that I appreciated the time she spent with him in the class of 6, he is one of the smaller kids and not a stong swimmer but she takes the time to show him how to do things properly and re-enforces how to practice and work on it.

When I first asked if I could talk to her for a minute this look of terror came accross her face because I am sure she assumed a butt-chewing was about to ensue. I delivered a bit of credit where it was due and I think she really appreciated it.

Without singing kooobayah .....I think if people took the time to double up on the compliments and half the criticism things would go alot smoother in general.

I have money on the fact that this thread will not be half as long as the whiner thread

Lefty
I also agree that credit due should be credit given.

I guess the guy over in the "whiner thread" is maybe just responding to posts added to the thread. That is one of the concepts behind any forum.

ps check your tagline, it contradicts your post.
"It takes a big man to cry, and an even bigger man to laugh at the man who is crying"

It's a nice line, but could perhaps be nicer if you changed it to "an even bigger man not to laugh at the man who is crying"

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 05-11-2011, 11:38 PM

I deal with that store as well. Great guys there and the ladies too. I go in there 2-3 times a week and most time it's just to shoot the gab. They all know their stuff and are great to talk to.

I've been buying from that store for 20 years and it's always been great. I will continue shopping there for a long time.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:20 AM

Old 05-12-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushiUnagi View Post
X2, good too hear the positive !!!!!! They don't have an easy job !
Old 05-12-2011, 02:08 AM

love the positive feedbacks from fishn stores when i worked at one i was always so nice to people and always having hour long chats lol, good to hear, what goes around comes around.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:57 AM

That certain fishing store is so well ran, great staff, great everything. Everytime I go there I learn new stuff, I think my first rod came from there. All the staff there, guys and girls, are great ambassadors for fishing.

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt
Old 05-12-2011, 06:47 AM
Gone Fishing

The guys at the southside store are great. They have been huge supporters of all the ice dishing derbies we have held for the Make-A-Wish.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:58 AM

I have shopped at Wholsale sports a fair amount. I hear some people complain about the customer service at whole sale sports, though from my personal experience, whenever I needed help finding a product, there would always be a employee at one of the customer service desks willing to help me out. I also like how whole sale sports has a wide selection of products, is Canadian owned and has cheaper products than much of the competition.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:15 AM

One of the guys in that store use to be my teacher in Junior highschool! We always chat and since he knows I have kids the tips are always for them now not me!
Old 05-12-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
ps check your tagline, it contradicts your post.
"It takes a big man to cry, and an even bigger man to laugh at the man who is crying"

It's a nice line, but could perhaps be nicer if you changed it to "an even bigger man not to laugh at the man who is crying"
That may be true but sometimes in such a serious world a sense of humour goes a long way....My tag line is one of the "Jack Handy" quotes that used to be part of the older SNL series. It always made me laugh when I saw that one....

A forum is a great place to vent and sometimes the negative venting turns into a good thing, if I think recently back to the "Milarm Thread" where one of the managers came forward and recognized they had issues in the past and bascically apologized to everyone on this forum for the past, he also stated moving forward that they were making changes and wanted those who had written his store off to come back and give it a shot. A very commendable response to a thread that was less than flattering.

Sometimes the negativity has a positive result. It must be human nature but I think its easier to (seems more common) to vent about the bad then praise the good.

Lefty
Old 11-04-2011, 10:42 PM

I shop at Fishin'Hole on 97st alot and find them to be knowledgeble and very honest about what is the best bang for your buck. I was looking at high end equipment and the guy brought out selections that we priced lower than the ones in my hand and explained why they were better.

I've had a couple bad experiences with certain people at Mil-Arm, but easily 10x more good transactions. This week their newsletter is looking for feedback good or bad.

Let's Make this thread longer than poopy pants wanted to buy a fishing rod but didn't want to ask for assistance.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Banned

Haha, I was totally expecting that BestGuide resurrected this thread
Old 11-05-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Haha, I was totally expecting that BestGuide resurrected this thread
Lol
Old 11-06-2011, 09:10 AM

Well done fishing hole!! I Just want to reinforce what everyone who has delt with these guys already knows...they are awsome! I will only buy gear from these guys, even if it may be on sale somewhere else, or if its an off the wall item and I have to wait until it gets ordered in, why? Because they are straight up, honest and know their merchandise. I deal with the north side guys, but its nice to see the general service carries on throught the chain. THere is just something about walking into a store, having everyone welcome you by your first name, and not only give you first rate advice, but not be sacred to get your opinion on things they haven't played with befor. As mention befor, I am always dropping in as well to see whats new and BS. Awsome guys!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
X2, good too hear the positive !!!!!! They don't have an easy job !
x 3 ! yes indeed they don't... they see me and its ...Im going on my break !! Lol