Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2017, 12:35 PM

Default Asking for permission to access - Kijiji

So I have noticed over the last few years, many people asking for hunting access on Kijiji... Does this actually work? I would think this is the lazy way out and that most land owners would respect folks that pound the pavement? Does it work? Just curious...

Thoughts?

-Confucius
Old 11-09-2017, 01:35 PM

dont think it works. but does it hurt chances? cant see it.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:55 PM

Lots of landowners will say yes and give you access, but I don't think any are going out of their way to find people who want to hunt their land. Don't think any landowners are reading and responding to those ads.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:59 PM

I've seen some on community Facebook pages as well and was curious if the posters get any responses.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:20 PM

I think this is likely a better and more successful approach: https://canadianlandaccess.com/

Haven't used it myself, but my wife's colleague does (he's one of the folks doing the testimonial on their webpage). Of course, it's not free like Kijiji... $70 a year I think.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:41 PM

Might be better then getting told off lol. I went to 2 places west of the city to ask permission. I was treated very badly! Told to get the hell out of there yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
Might be better then getting told off lol. I went to 2 places west of the city to ask permission. I was treated very badly! Told to get the hell out of there yard.

Were you driving a jacked up diesel?

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-09-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
My hunting partner drives a Ford Fiesta. He gets hunting permission all the time, I think they feel sorry for him.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:53 PM

I see them often online here in bc peace. I'd probably be inclined to let one good person hunt my land, but I'm both a owner and hunter... would rather be asked in person. Seen ads asking for location which is suspicious...
Old 11-09-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
My hunting partner drives a Ford Fiesta. He gets hunting permission all the time, I think they feel sorry for him.

All in the approach. Not looking like a knuckle draggeing rednceck is probably up there and not many rednecks drive fiestas lol
Old 11-09-2017, 04:15 PM

I got permission for 12 sections of gopher land by posting on kijiji once.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:

Lol no just a diesel. The one guy had a nice jacked up diesel so that wasn’t the issue. It was out west of Calmar but I here they have issues out that way with lots of quads and dirt bikes trespassing and cutting fences so that might have to do with it.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I drive a little Honda CRV, I get lots of yess as well. How much trouble can I get into driving that.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-10-2017, 07:13 AM

I was refused permission once this fall because the landowner doesn't allow hunting on his property, and once because someone else was given permission a few days before me. I have asked by phone when I couldn't locate the landowners home on my map, but I prefer to ask in person. By asking in person the landowner gets to see who you are, and gets to see what kind of attitude you have, which can make the him more comfortable about granting permission. As well , since I am the person asking for something, I should be the one making all of the effort towards getting permission. The landowner should not have to go out of his way to do me a favor, so I don't expect him to be calling a complete stranger to grant permission.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
This is funny, I know a farmer that automatically denies permission to anybody that drives a jacked up truck and wears a flat beaked hat!!! no kidding!!!
Old 11-10-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
This is funny, I know a farmer that automatically denies permission to anybody that drives a jacked up truck and wears a flat beaked hat!!! no kidding!!!
And it really bothers some people that a landowner can deny access for whatever reason he chooses. It can be what you drive, what you wear, what you say, or even the color of your skin, when it comes to granting permission, the landowner can base his choice on whatever he chooses, and he doesn't have to explain his decision to anyone.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And it really bothers some people that a landowner can deny access for whatever reason he chooses. It can be what you drive, what you wear, what you say, or even the color of your skin, when it comes to granting permission, the landowner can base his choice on whatever he chooses, and he doesn't have to explain his decision to anyone.
You bet!
Old 11-10-2017, 08:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Shouldn’t have to explain his decision. Like most things first impression is paramount. Hat on backwards, pants hanging down to your knees, piercings everywhere and man buns should stay at home.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
The flat brimmed hat rule is a good one! If I owned huntable land that rule would apply on mine as well. Same would go for neck tattoos. If a person visibly shows that they’re not capable of good decisions it’s a valid reason to not let them hunt your land, hire them, etc because they’ll probably make some more bad decisions that screws something up for you. Flat brimmed ball caps are among the worst haberdashery decisions that can be made!
Old 11-10-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
The flat brimmed hat rule is a good one! If I owned huntable land that rule would apply on mine as well. Same would go for neck tattoos. If a person visibly shows that they’re not capable of good decisions it’s a valid reason to not let them hunt your land, hire them, etc because they’ll probably make some more bad decisions that screws something up for you. Flat brimmed ball caps are among the worst haberdashery decisions that can be made!

Agree with you here!

Old 11-10-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Shouldn’t have to explain his decision. Like most things first impression is paramount. Hat on backwards, pants hanging down to your knees, piercings everywhere and man buns should stay at home.
I am with you on that
Old 11-10-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I was refused permission once this fall because the landowner doesn't allow hunting on his property, and once because someone else was given permission a few days before me. I have asked by phone when I couldn't locate the landowners home on my map, but I prefer to ask in person. By asking in person the landowner gets to see who you are, and gets to see what kind of attitude you have, which can make the him more comfortable about granting permission. As well , since I am the person asking for something, I should be the one making all of the effort towards getting permission. The landowner should not have to go out of his way to do me a favor, so I don't expect him to be calling a complete stranger to grant permission.

I would always ask in person also shows a bit more respect. Or if for what ever reason I did get permission over the phone I would go meet the people face to face before I did any hunting. And as always a pack of steaks or two and some jerky from the kill after the season is over

Old 11-14-2017, 10:21 AM

Its millenials making these ads....guaranteed.....they use Kijiji for everything now along with all the other social networks to ask for permission. Its the least amount of effort to reach the largest amount of people....right up their alley.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:17 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
All in the approach. Not looking like a knuckle draggeing rednceck is probably up there and not many rednecks drive fiestas lol
As a genuine redneck with 5 quarters of quality land "hunting" I do allow hunting with permission. However, if your knuckles ain"t draggin your chances are not so good. Maybe climb back in your Fiesta and beat it back to the city. Seriously though just be nice and i may grant you access. Just another country bumpkin.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
The flat brimmed hat rule is a good one! If I owned huntable land that rule would apply on mine as well......
Sorry to be out-of-touch, but what's the significance of flat-brimmed ball caps?
Do only "certain types" wear them?

I have one with a Calgary Flames logo and now I don't know what to do with it.

I understand about neck tats.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Huntnfish View Post
Its millenials making these ads....guaranteed.....they use Kijiji for everything now along with all the other social networks to ask for permission. Its the least amount of effort to reach the largest amount of people....right up their alley.
Pretty much my assessment as well. Some people want to eliminate the scouting, the seeking permission, and even patterning the animals. They want to show up where the animal is going to be , just before it arrives, then shoot it, and use as much technology as they can to clean the animal and remove it from the field ,as quickly, and with as little effort as possible. These people pretty much want to shoot game, rather than to hunt game.

Quote:
Sorry to be out-of-touch, but what's the significance of flat-brimmed ball caps?
Do only "certain types" wear them?
It's not so much about the cap, it's more about how people wear the cap. Look at how most farmers wear caps, and compare that to how most city people wear caps. Look at the direction the brim is pointed, and the shape of the brim.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-14-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:09 PM

When I worked in the nightclubs the rule was " if its on Jersey Shore, its not coming through the door!", A few of the landowners I know have also adopted this policy. Seems to work quite well actually

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 11-14-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Very sad Caber.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
Crappy car and no camo is the way to go. Better chances than jack up diesel and camo.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
It's not so much about the cap, it's more about how people wear the cap. Look at how most farmers wear caps, and compare that to how most city people wear caps. Look at the direction the brim is pointed, and the shape of the brim.
So we're making character judgements on brim shape now? Clue in to the decade elk, Most young people wear flat brims now. They aren't all gang members.

In any event, it's not the guys that ask for permission that a land owner needs to worry about. It's the ones who don't.