Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2024, 09:59 AM

Default Diesel Truck Upgrades

I have a 2022 Ford F350 and was looking at trading but then found out the cost of new trucks. It has a level and is riding on 35" tires right now with Fuel rims. Otherwise the truck is stock. Changing things up and have decided to do some upgrades and keep this one. A few questions:

Any suggestions on suspension upgrades and airbags? I run a sled deck and pull a heavy fishing boat and the truck squats a bit under both of these scenarios. Usually running empty and the stiff ride is getting a bit tiresome.

Any comments on deletes and tuning? Still under warranty for a while. Mainly looking to improve fuel economy for longer highway trips.

I live in Calgary so any recommendations on shops in Calgary?

Thanks in Advance

Alba gu brath!
Old 04-24-2024, 10:13 AM

I deleted mine a Fuel Performance between strathmore and Chestermere right off the highway. I went from 19L/100 to about 12.5L/100 and way better performance for towing. It’s going to be tough to ever go back to stock. I did it when I rolled over 100k as my DEF heater and pump crapped the bed and ford wouldn’t cover it under warranty. Was cheaper and quicker to do it. He got me in the next day, was done that day and was $400 cheaper than his original quote and $1500 cheaper than fixing the DEF junk which was gonna take 2 weeks to get parts at the time.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:39 AM

My friend has the same but a long box, pulls a 35 ft RV and has a sled deck for quads & sleds. He put the air bag system on. Pushes a remote and levels the rear to what he is hauling. Sweet set up. He bought the trailer in Rocky Mountain House, that dealer did the truck.

I have no info on engine tunes as everyone I know run stock with their power strokes.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceilidh69 View Post
I have a 2022 Ford F350 and was looking at trading but then found out the cost of new trucks. It has a level and is riding on 35" tires right now with Fuel rims. Otherwise the truck is stock. Changing things up and have decided to do some upgrades and keep this one. A few questions:

Any suggestions on suspension upgrades and airbags? I run a sled deck and pull a heavy fishing boat and the truck squats a bit under both of these scenarios. Usually running empty and the stiff ride is getting a bit tiresome.

Any comments on deletes and tuning? Still under warranty for a while. Mainly looking to improve fuel economy for longer highway trips.

I live in Calgary so any recommendations on shops in Calgary?

Thanks in Advance
If you want to improve fuel economy get rid of the 35's. Cant have both.

Looper
Old 04-24-2024, 10:52 AM

just thinking my 2004 cummins is getting old... and you want to upgrade a 2022...lol... tough times
Old 04-24-2024, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceilidh69 View Post
Mainly looking to improve fuel economy for longer highway trips.

Thanks in Advance
Don't waste thousands in upgrades to get a miniscule upgrade in fuel economy. By a used Jetta for the same price and get far better fuel economy.
Old 04-24-2024, 12:21 PM

Lol a used jetta don’t pull rv’s very well
Old 04-24-2024, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looper View Post
If you want to improve fuel economy get rid of the 35's. Cant have both.

Looper
You realize if his truck came with 20” rims the factory tires are 34.1” tall my F350 6.7 l Tremor came factory with 35,s and if I drove it decent would get 12.5 - 13 l/100 as in 110 km/ hr the 2020 + fords are very impressive stock.

My 2024 6.6 l Duramax with 35,s gets around 13 l/ 100 stock obviously not towing. The picture below Was yesterday driving home from work, lease roads , drive through for coffee averaged 13.5 l/ 100 907km trip definitely not taking it easy on it.

If you lift it then fuel mileage drops substantially
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2602.jpg (19.0 KB, 50 views)
Old 04-24-2024, 12:58 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by K45 View Post
You realize if his truck came with 20” rims the factory tires are 34.1” tall my F350 6.7 l Tremor came factory with 35,s and if I drove it decent would get 12.5 - 13 l/100 as in 110 km/ hr the 2020 + fords are very impressive stock.

My 2024 6.6 l Duramax with 35,s gets around 13 l/ 100 stock obviously not towing. The picture below Was yesterday driving home from work, lease roads , drive through for coffee averaged 13.5 l/ 100 907km trip definitely not taking it easy on it.

Yeah a lot of people don't realize how tall factory tires are these days on this truck. That said, if you go to a dramatically wider tire with a much more aggressive wheel, even though the 35 is not much taller you are generally adding a good chunk of weight and rotational mass certainly will affect fuel economy, but to what degree is relative.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 04-24-2024, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Yeah a lot of people don't realize how tall factory tires are these days on this truck. That said, if you go to a dramatically wider tire with a much more aggressive wheel, even though the 35 is not much taller you are generally adding a good chunk of weight and rotational mass certainly will affect fuel economy, but to what degree is relative.

You are 100% correct on tire width and mud tires - Duratrac is about as aggressive as I will go nowadays
Old 04-24-2024, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K45 View Post

You're right. I guess I assumed if its levelled and has 35's they are likely 35 X 13.5 x 20's.

That was the end of the "good" mileage for my truck.

Looper
Old 04-24-2024, 01:47 PM

Air bags are a really nice add on for towing if you go with an on-board compressor, manually filling/draining gets old.

Once you delete/tune its hard to ever drive stock again. It absolutely helps with the fuel consumption and man is it nice having more than enough pedal under your foot when towing in the hills!!
I found I burnt just as much diesel as stock playing around though!!
Old 04-24-2024, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Lol a used jetta don’t pull rv’s very well
Think he was suggesting two vehicles, a commuter and work vehicle....
Old 04-24-2024, 03:57 PM

If you're going with air bags get the onboard compressor. Not sure if I would go with bags again or go with overload springs. If I go with bags I'll put an upgraded compressor like the offroaders use and install a small surge tank so I can fill tires with it.

Keeping the DEF system up on trucks that don't get used much in the winter is expensive so I deleted both of mine. Also decided I would sell my exhaust system before a meth head stole it. I get a little nervous when I go to BC as I'm afraid that one day I'll get pulled in at the scales and need a tow truck to get back to AB. Maybe I'm being paranoid.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-24-2024, 09:53 PM

Check the web for Dirty Diesel in BC they sold me everything I needed for a delete and I did it my self. Carlie suspension is supposed to be awesome turns your booby bouncer into a smooth riding car. If you tow a lot I would look into a S&B fuel cell that replaces the main tank with a 60 gal one. If you do the delete do a cold air intake. A leveling kit also makes it look sharp too.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:03 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
Check the web for Dirty Diesel in BC they sold me everything I needed for a delete and I did it my self. Carlie suspension is supposed to be awesome turns your booby bouncer into a smooth riding car. If you tow a lot I would look into a S&B fuel cell that replaces the main tank with a 60 gal one. If you do the delete do a cold air intake. A leveling kit also makes it look sharp too.
Doing a delete to get around the DEF is not so hard for a slightly handy person if you can get the parts, but really getting a proper tune is where the performance gains come no? I wouldn't trust myself on a newer truck to mess around with the tuning. Last thing a guy would want is to burn up internals and need a new motor trying to save some money on that aspect. That said, if you have the knowledge then save away!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 04-25-2024, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Doing a delete to get around the DEF is not so hard for a slightly handy person if you can get the parts, but really getting a proper tune is where the performance gains come no? I wouldn't trust myself on a newer truck to mess around with the tuning. Last thing a guy would want is to burn up internals and need a new motor trying to save some money on that aspect. That said, if you have the knowledge then save away!
Dirty Diesel supplied the tune when I bought the easzy link tuner. The tune is great, it is basically a smokeless tune unless you are really putting your foot into it and even then it’s just a small puff. No a billowing black cloud.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:20 AM

Not sure of your budget but a Carli Suspension 'Back Country' system - with their long travel airbags, a delete package with intake upgrades, and EFI Live tuning (lots of options from mild to wild) will totally transform your truck.