Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-10-2008, 07:15 PM

Default Bale Blinds For Archery Hunting

I am interested in getting a hunting blind that is in the shape of a round bale to do some archery hunting from. I have how ever only been able to find 2 models one is made by Ameristep but is geared towards duck and goose hunting with the flip off top and no windows around the centere for archery hunting. The other is made by Gooseview...and has the windows made for archery hunting but it is way higher priced at 400 US for it. Does anyone have a bale blind reccommendation or any ideas as to what they use?

Thank in advacne for any help/information
Old 06-10-2008, 08:27 PM

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...l&N=4294967082

I would look at something like this then customize some shooting windows.

Maybe even look at another standard style type blind and throw some hay in the foilage holders.

If you have a area in mind where you can leave a blind up for a week or two then you could get away with a blaze orange box, in a farming community farmers constanntly move bales and machinery, animals that frequet the area will adapt quickly to a change in surroundings.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:50 AM

Page wire, straw, an inner liner of black and some creativity and you can make a blind that would get picked up by a bale hauler!
Old 06-11-2008, 09:03 AM

Default Bale Blinds

Speaking of bale blinds with Page Wire and burlap. They work so well, I'm still waiting to catch the ***** that stold mine from a field in behind Spruce Meadows in Calgary. Love to catch whoever took it in it
Old 06-12-2008, 07:40 AM

I guy up here in Athabasca makes some pretty nice ones for sale.
I seen pictures of them with deer 3 feet away from the bale. WOW They look so real

MY REAL FEAR IS THAT SOME HILL BILY COMES INTO A FIELD AND STARTS SHOOTING AT BALES AND PASSES ONE RIGHT BETWEEN YOUR EARS.!!

AL
Old 06-12-2008, 07:51 AM

Check out bowzone.ca. Guy from stony plain shows you step by step how to make them and it looks completly real. Tells you what tools, materials, and length of materials needed.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:08 AM
Banned

pop up ground blinds not do same thing?

i've had big whitetails come within range of a pop up first time set up...you sure the deer can tell the difference between pop ups and bales enough to go through all the effort of building one?, i use pop ups within the bales, works fine for me....and anything works okay if you can get it in a few weeks before you hunt it...imo...anyone have different experiences to warrant the effort of making an accurate bale imitation?
Old 06-13-2008, 11:54 PM

Thanks for the tips and pointing me in the right direction guys. Hadn't really thought about building my own but that looks like it shouldn't be too tough to do...and you can customize it to your own tastes too. I will be getting on that after I finish fixing up and old 8 wheel argo I bought a couple months ago.

AS for the difference between a bale blind and a pop up is definately shape and moveability. A pop up is not the same shape as a bale blind would be...but if set up weeks before and deer get used to it they do work great. But in archery season in my area it is prime time for harvest and nothing stays the same so deer continually change their feeding patterns in this time along with how the harvest goes. It seems that a bale blind can be set up and moved anywhere to accomodate deer pattern changes and they don't care as much more relaxed around those as they are frequent in the area from late summer to fall. Place them up and they work great at anytime and you don't have to worry about placing them weeks before you can do it mid day and it doesnt seem to bother them asif it is they know changes like that happen in the fall and harvest so it doesn't spook them as much or at all.

I don't know just a personal view on it and I think it is definately worth the time and effort for the bale blind as compared to the pop up blinds.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:07 PM
s_buffalo

Double Bull had a bale blind that they were working on... Now that Primos bought them out, I don't know what has become of it.

The link for the bale blind at Primos is dead right now:
http://shop.primos.com/pc-1137-135-bale-blind.aspx

Here are some pictures:

I'm beginning to wonder if I could build something like this out of mesh and counduit... Hmmm.

Hope this helps...

Stinky B.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:30 PM

That blind looks great.......but the way it's shedding there won't be any left of it but the frame
Old 07-08-2008, 01:58 PM

Looks more geared towards rifle shooting too.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:14 PM

The bowzone plans /info with materials list, may have been the plans I drew up about 8 years back. I build 4 or 5 and sold them. They did look great if I may say. it's been so long ago now I don't even have the pictures or materials list any longer. Maybe someone can post the links if they can dig them up from Bowzone.

TBark
Old 07-08-2008, 02:29 PM

I read the post a few minutes ago and dug up the info. Follow this link and scroll down to the post by "Scooter". It's all there: The photos and the directions, complete with a materials list.

http://forum.bowzone.ca/showthread.php?t=3852

Last edited by kissacoyote; 07-13-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:30 PM

Ya, that's mine.
Would have been nice to have a by-line of some sort attached to it,
Quite a bit of work went into that project.

TBark
Old 07-08-2008, 04:31 PM
s_buffalo

Wow, TBark. Nice work!

Stinky
Old 07-08-2008, 06:11 PM

Yeah that looks like it would have taken a bunch of work to come up with. For archery it has been the best idea that I have seen or found to date.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:15 PM

good job there Tbark

I'd like to make a few for late fall. I was thinkn of using burlap to cover frame,and some shoot through mesh screen at the shooting ports (for BoW not RIFLE).

AL
Old 03-19-2010, 08:00 AM

Default Pop Up

A pop up will do the same thing as what you are looking for in a bale blind. I have never had a deer spook wether it is the first time I set it up next to a bale or the 10th time. If you decide on the bale bling it looks like it could be a fun project.