Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-23-2014, 05:09 PM

My wife made it that way lakeside. It was drier than a popcorn fart. Still good though.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:08 PM

I finally got around to making this, I doubled the recipe. I made it with 3 lbs deer and 2lbs fatty elk. It was amazing not to dry and not to greasy, but perfect. Thanks for the recipie I was amazed at how tasty is turned out
Old 11-25-2014, 12:26 PM

I'm happy to get one of my deers back for it's been along time since I made the ol venison donair. Made 4 pounds on Saturday. Thanx again to everyone who replied, ate and enjoyed!

Soon I'll put up my venison steak tacos recipe, Damn they good too!!
Old 11-29-2014, 05:01 PM

Default awesome!

Made the loaf last night out of moose and beef and sampled the goods today. It was great!
Old 12-31-2014, 07:15 PM

New Years eve dinner....here we come

LC
Old 12-31-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
New Years eve dinner....here we come

LC
What a great meal to have to finish off the year. Enjoy!!
Old 01-06-2015, 01:59 PM

This recipe is awesome! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:24 PM

Got a double batch in the oven right now. Smells incredible. Sweet sauce is great as well. Most likely one of the loaves will not make the recommended cooling period.

TS
Old 01-10-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswancoat View Post
Got a double batch in the oven right now. Smells incredible. Sweet sauce is great as well. Most likely one of the loaves will not make the recommended cooling period.

TS
Hahaha. They never do!
Old 01-10-2015, 05:50 PM

Made this last week for the first time, all 4 people who ate absolutely loved it! I used to work at a meat shop where donair meat was made....I haven't eaten a store bought donair since due to the fat that goes into it, but these were deadly, no grease bag required! Made them again last night
Thanks ALBTUFF!
Old 01-10-2015, 06:24 PM

This recipe is unreal. I have made it twice over the last year and LOVE it. Everyone that has eaten it has loved it. Unreal. Wisers slow clap and a tip of the hat to you, ALBTUFF!
Old 01-10-2015, 06:42 PM

Best part of this tread (other then it taste so damn good) is 160 posts and over 17000 hits and not one derail!!! Thanx to all outdoorsmen/women for trying this recipe. There are no better people that I would want to share this with.

Thanx again,
ALBTUFF
Old 08-18-2015, 09:31 PM

Default You must be from Nova Scotia!!!

This recipe will give you exactly was a donair in Halifax tastes like, which in my opinion, are arguable the best donairs in the word.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/dashs-donair/

In the place of mashing you could either use a food processor, or just pick up the meat and throw it, with force, on to the counter a number of times ensuring that the meat basically gets blended together. That's how you get that lovely loaf that when cut stays together. Do not, whatever you do, substitute anything for the oregano powder. Even dried oregano will not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBTUFF View Post
I perfected this recipe and thought i'd share. I used to work at a donair shop and ever since I quit working there its hard to find a good donair. Now with this recipe I refuse to buy a donair for I feel I make a better tasting donair that is less greasy but still full in flavor. Here it is,

Donair meat:

1 1/2 pound venison- I have only used deer so far I assume moose or elk would work and possibly be better.

1 pound med. or regular ground beef- this is to keep the fat content up, donairs are greasy food so this helps keep the wild meat from drying up.

2 tsp of the following: oregano, salt, flour, black pepper,garlic powder, onion powder,

1 tsp: paprika

1/2 tsp: cayenne pepper

Mix all spices together in a small bowl, set aside. Put ground venison in bowl mash with potato masher add beef and keep mashing. when all mixed up add 1/5 of seasoning mixture and mash, keep repeating till seasoning is gone. Mash with potato masher.........keep mashing.......and more mashing, don't mash less mash more this gives you the "donair" texture. Alright after 10 to 15 min of mashing time to get your hands dirty. Pick up the mashed meat and start throwing it from hand to hand, as if you had a base ball and where throwing it from hand to hand. then throw it as hard as you can in to the bowl you where mashing in. pick up repeat, pick up repeat. Don't be lazy. These steps are required because they give the donair meat the donair texture.

Set oven to 325f

Once beaten, thrown and repeated form a loaf with the meat, bread pans work good for forming. Line baking sheet with tin foil, place cooking rack on middle of baking sheeting and then place donair loaf on rack. The rack lets the grease drip away from loaf.

after every 1/2 hour the loaf need to be flipped. Total cooking time is 2 to 2 and half hours so the loaf may be needed to be fliped 4-5 times during the cooking phase.

He comes the hard part. after 2-2 1/2 hours the loaf should be done but it needs to kool completely before it can be cut properly.............
Old 08-18-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Best part of this tread (other then it taste so damn good) is 160 posts and over 17000 hits and not one derail!!! Thanx to all outdoorsmen/women for trying this recipe. There are no better people that I would want to share this with.

Thanx again,
ALBTUFF
Lol. But it is good there's no argument. Maybe to get another 160 posts should ask what the best weapon is to shoot donair meat or how far to shoot it and still be ethical.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
Lol. But it is good there's no argument. Maybe to get another 160 posts should ask what the best weapon is to shoot donair meat or how far to shoot it and still be ethical.
Bhahahaha. Nice. I'm sure any weapon is a good donair weapon.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Bhahahaha. Nice. I'm sure any weapon is a good donair weapon.
Gotta agree. God those things are good lol
Old 08-20-2015, 08:16 PM

I've been biting my tongue for a couple of years now. However, because this thread will not die I just have to wade in. This recipe is a complete waste of good venison! For those who have not tried it please save your hard earned venison for better, more traditional ground venison recipes. i.e., chili, spaghetti, burgers, tacos, meatloaf, sausage etc. You are better off feeding it to your dog then making this recipe.sign0176:

And in case you are wondering, I have been preparing venison for friends and family for close to 40 years and also have some professional food training. The spices are all wrong for venison and the finished product is way too dry.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinthedream View Post
I've been biting my tongue for a couple of years now. However, because this thread will not die I just have to wade in. This recipe is a complete waste of good venison! For those who have not tried it please save your hard earned venison for better, more traditional ground venison recipes. i.e., chili, spaghetti, burgers, tacos, meatloaf, sausage etc. You are better off feeding it to your dog then making this recipe.sign0176:

And in case you are wondering, I have been preparing venison for friends and family for close to 40 years and also have some professional food training. The spices are all wrong for venison and the finished product is way too dry.
Hmmm. Strange that the others that have tried loved it.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:02 PM

Donair wild game is something I must try.
I have never thought of it before reading this
Old 08-20-2015, 10:20 PM
Gone Hunting

This thread got my interest up. I've never had any Donair but I've got all spices now and I am ready to make first batch.
Ground Elk and Beef defrosting in the fridge as I am posting.

There was 169 posts and 22000 + views on this thread and one negative comment.

I will give it a try.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 08-21-2015, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinthedream View Post
If you have professional food training (prep? eating? food athletic training? jk ), then why would YOU be using recipes off an outdoorsman forum, not to mention a donair recipe??? Donair is not exactly a highly sought after cuisine
In case you've never tried donair before this one, I should say that it's always dry. Most people trying the recipe would be doing so because they've already liked donair and want to "bring it home". Anyone with minimal experience cooking could predict it to be dry before they put it in the oven.
To be serious though, why not offer up advice on what spices DO go with venison? Then we can all enjoy the culinary expertise of appropriate seasoning and everyone wins
Cheers
Old 08-28-2015, 09:02 AM

Baked my meat last night. Oh man does that smell good. Also snuck a few pieces and oh my, that is good. Cannot wait till supper tonight!!
Old 08-28-2015, 04:47 PM

Default Legend is true

Thanks for the recipe. This is top notch
Whole family enjoyed the meal.
It's not too spicy for kids. Next batch I might put more cayenne pepper but that's just me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (30.1 KB, 104 views)
Old 08-28-2015, 05:18 PM

Default Elk Donair

Made this a couple of days ago. Smoked it .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Donair.jpg (71.2 KB, 104 views)
Old 09-02-2015, 08:27 PM

So do you use dried oregano or powdered. One post said powdered was no good and another said that you must not substitute dried for powdered? I want to make this but don't want to throw it away if it's no good.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdvc View Post
Made this a couple of days ago. Smoked it .
How long did it take in the smoker? Making donairs tomorrow.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:33 PM

Made this again tonight. Elk mixed with pork.
One of our family favourites now. For those who have not tried it, what are you waiting for?
Old 11-06-2015, 09:28 PM

Made this last year and again this year. We are from the east coast and always crave the real deal, and this is close as it gets, especially the sauce. My wife started deer hunting this year to make sure we get plenty of venison to stockpile for donair meat!
Old 11-15-2015, 09:23 PM

It's in the oven right now and smells delicious. It's gonna be hard to not sample some tonight.
I've been making Dash's Halifax donairs for a few years, so I look forward to comparing them.

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."
Old 12-02-2015, 07:22 PM

Figure this needs a bump for those to enjoy their fall bounty.