Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-14-2014, 01:52 PM

Default 2014 APA Shooter Review

2014 APA Review

This Past weekend Nibal, Innovator and designer and his lovely wife of APA Archery visited L.O.S.T. Arrow Archery with the new exciting 2014 bow line up.

I was certainly excited to hold, see and shoot some of the new innovative ideas Nibal and APA released for the 2014 bow line up, and to say the least was not disappointed in any sense.

APA with the biggest line up in 2014 with an amazing 7 new bow release had a lot to offer, a bow for everyone, target, 3D and bowhunting.
The new colors of the target and 3D bows grabbed your attention instantly, however geared mostly towards bowhunting and a fan of solo cams for many years now, I immediately went for the new Viper Air.

My first impression was wow what a “Pocket Rocket” at 27.3/8 inch ATA, It almost looked like a youngsters bow until you held and shot it, the 323 IBO speed got your attention quick.
There was a slight hand shock, but that is to be expected with such a short ATA, with a short 4” hunting stabilizer that would be all but not existent, the bow was not only a pleasure to shoot but it was smooth and fun to shoot.

I thought I would miss the APA distinctive handle but the bow was very appealing even without the Handle, as with all the APA Viper models the solo cam is smooth on the draw with and easy valley and smooth transaction into a solid wall.

The Viper Air with a generous Brace height of 7 3/8 grouped outstanding even though the bow wasn’t really set up for me, the one that stood out is the bow didn’t creep and/or want to take off before you are ready like many other brand short ATA bows.
The Viper Air will be a huge seller with the bowhunters that utilize blinds and stands, and as well for the hunters on the long haul on foot as it is one of the lightest bows in the market at a mere 3.4 lbs.

Next I shot the Viper X7 it felt great in the hand and well balanced, At 35.5 ATA this bow would an outstanding bow for the shooter that wanted an all around bow without a closet full of bows, the X7 would be suited for Target, 3D and hunting alike for the big and tall shooters also with a draw to 32”, similar to the Viper Nano, except with a smooth target bow draw and shot.

The next Solo the Viper T39 seemed some of my first hunting compounds at 39” ATA, a true target bow for the solo cam lover, or even for the taller long draw hunter that wanted to shoot fingers, the T39 is going to be hard on those X’s.
The last in the Viper Series the Nano, my previous favourite is close to the 2013 model except beefed up and has a slightly longer ATA at 30.5” which improves the bow forgiveness, the Nano will again be in my personal bow rack.

The Nano at 30.5 ATA, generous BH at 7 1/8 and smoking at 330 is a perfect hunting bow, my 2013 Nano let me put a Russian Boar on a full run at 40 yds down for the count with a smooth fast perfect shot.

Not a huge Duel cam bow fan I still had to shoot some of the New Mamba’s as with the continued line of the M5-M6-M7 Mambas that are smoking fast and smooth draw for duel cams, for example the M5 is a smoking 348 FPS with a perfect ATA of 32.25” for a 28” draw shooter –That’s not IBO speed which is rated with a 30” draw as normal.

For example the same bow rated at 348fps IBO as bows are rated would drop at least 20 FPS slower when draw was adjusted to 28”, so both the M5 and M6 are smoking fast for the shorter draw shooters.
The M7 is smooth draw with a good 7” brace height, which is also available in 80 Lb if one wants to incinerate arrows in flight.

Now the duel cam that keep “speaking to me” was the Mamba Air, Not quite as Short ATA as the Viper Air, however at 28.5 it is still a “Pocket Rocket”, the Mamba Air also looks deadly and better in the hand than pictures.
It also being one of the lightest bows on the market at 3.4 lbs would also be a dream in the field in any scenio, and at near 440 FPS with a 7 3/8 brace height it’s a killer.

As I drew the bow, and anchored I was “shocked” …I had to stop and look at the top cam as I thought I had picked up the Viper Air by mistake, that’s how smooth the draw, valley and smooth progression was into a solid wall.
Then I released, I then don’t know what shocked me more, the blazing streak of the fast arrow or the lack of sound and hand shock, I had to shoot the Mamba Air again and again just to confirm what I was seeing and feeling.

Folks, after 20 plus years of being a dedicated solo cam fan I will be shooting a duel cam bow this year in my arsenal, I ordered both the Mamba Air and Viper Air in Winter Mimic as shooter and personal bows.

After shooting the Mamba air I shot the rest of the Mamba line, trying to bias, however the Mamba Air spoiled me, The Mamba X7 and Mamba T39 like the Viper same, will impress the duel cam shooters equally,

The last bow in the Mamba Line the M34 did also however get my attention, at 34” and at 346 FPS is an shooter also, this bow for a 6 5/8 Brace height felt scary good in the hand threw out the draw anchor and shot, also a must shoot if you can.
If I was to get back in the 3D and/or target circle the M34 would most likely be my bow of choice, even shot the Rattler, which is as amazing to shoot as it was the first time I tried one, for a youngsters bow it cant be beat.

On a final note Nibal and APA far exceeded my expectations and excitement with their new 2014 line up, I wasn’t planning on two new bows this year but it looks like I got some AIR time!

Without a doubt the most impressive line up I have seen so far this year, blowing major brands out of the water, see for yourself shoot a couple if you get a chance and see why “APA is not the Same”.

JMHO
Neil

My Bow technician Blaine, and I shooting the Viper and Mamba Air

more pics
https://www.facebook.com/ApaArchery

Last edited by L.O.S.T.Arrow; 01-14-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:37 PM

Hey Neil what was the valley and back wall like on the Mamba X7? Any had shock? Did it hold on target nice? Thanks

Oh and I didn't know the Mamba Air had an IBO of 440
Old 01-14-2014, 10:27 PM

Wow, no surprises then, eh Neil?
Old 01-15-2014, 07:33 PM

Smile

Tested the APA bows in Lethbridge, It was a great evening spent with the wife and kids. The M34 was my bow of choice that evening, smooth and vibration free, a winner over the M7 and M6 in my opinion. Was really impress also with the Rattler, super fun bow for the kids, heck I would shoot it just for the fun of it. Might end up costing me money this year, will see.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NayNay View Post
Hey Neil what was the valley and back wall like on the Mamba X7? Any had shock? Did it hold on target nice? Thanks

Oh and I didn't know the Mamba Air had an IBO of 440
The M7, Mamba Air and Mamba X7 have the same cam...I was so impressed with the Mamba Air it will be the first duel cam I will own in over 20 years...thats smooth...lol

The X7 is that much more both on the draw and the shot as it has that longer ATA..the riser is beefed up over earlier Mamba models and designed to reduce any hand shock...it works..

To say there is hand shock on any APA bow would be exagerating..some models may have slight hand vibration but can be eliminated by a simple stabilizer ...its a shooter..you a long draw?

The Mamba Air is rated at 338 FPS it wouldnt take much to make up the 2 FPS for 440 FPS...hence why I stated at a near 440 FPS lol

Plenty fast for me...

JMHO
Neil
Old 01-16-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
Wow, no surprises then, eh Neil?
.....Well not true..I am totally surprised I now own a duel cam bow...lol

Neil
Old 01-17-2014, 11:43 AM

I now own a Viper Air and a Mamba Air decked out in Winter Mimicry...Hoooya

Neil
Old 01-17-2014, 11:54 AM

Nothing wrong with shooting a apa thanks for the info on the new line up
Old 01-17-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-ROC2 View Post
Nothing wrong with shooting a apa thanks for the info on the new line up
Nope have had the pior Vipers

Neil
Old 02-06-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
The M7, Mamba Air and Mamba X7 have the same cam...I was so impressed with the Mamba Air it will be the first duel cam I will own in over 20 years...thats smooth...lol

The X7 is that much more both on the draw and the shot as it has that longer ATA..the riser is beefed up over earlier Mamba models and designed to reduce any hand shock...it works..

To say there is hand shock on any APA bow would be exagerating..some models may have slight hand vibration but can be eliminated by a simple stabilizer ...its a shooter..you a long draw?

The Mamba Air is rated at 338 FPS it wouldnt take much to make up the 2 FPS for 440 FPS...hence why I stated at a near 440 FPS lol

Plenty fast for me...

JMHO
Neil
UMMM need to add better........... 338 + 2 = 340 not 440

their is no bow going 440fps built yet period.......
Old 02-07-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
UMMM need to add better........... 338 + 2 = 340 not 440

their is no bow going 440fps built yet period.......
Lol thanks for the correction Trav...you are 100% correct..

My bad on the math, it should state 340 FPS

Hope we dont see the day of a 440...lol

Neil
Old 02-12-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Lol thanks for the correction Trav...you are 100% correct..

My bad on the math, it should state 340 FPS

Hope we dont see the day of a 440...lol

Neil
haha man you had me all excited!! I even texted my brother and had to retext after I read the rest of the thread!
Old 04-09-2014, 04:12 PM

Default Apa m5

What do you guys think of the M5 ? I live in the U.S and can't find any review or information about this bow(M5) . I really want to buy this bow , want more info . I did talk to the owner of APA , he is a great guy . Little nervous buying a bow I have never shot . This bow is insane with speed and kinetic energy , worried about short brace height . The bows I shot in the US with short brace height are very aggressive , accuracy is terrible at long ranges . I'm just trying to get some help and Canada is the only place to find that help . I live in Minnesota ,love to hunt and shot my bow all year around ! Thanks
Old 04-09-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUVOODOO View Post
What do you guys think of the M5 ? I live in the U.S and can't find any review or information about this bow(M5) . I really want to buy this bow , want more info . I did talk to the owner of APA , he is a great guy . Little nervous buying a bow I have never shot . This bow is insane with speed and kinetic energy , worried about short brace height . The bows I shot in the US with short brace height are very aggressive , accuracy is terrible at long ranges . I'm just trying to get some help and Canada is the only place to find that help . I live in Minnesota ,love to hunt and shot my bow all year around ! Thanks
They have a test drive program of you done have a dealer near you
Old 04-09-2014, 09:38 PM

I tried the M5 but found the draw cycle to aggressive for a hunting bow (my personal preference), also with cold weather the short brace height might interfere with your winter clothing. I have also a fairly short draw length and went with the M6 after testing the bows a few times. On the other hand if speed to you is more important than a smooth draw cycle, than this bow is for you, it's really blazing fast. Sorry I test fired this bow inside so I have no experience with shooting the bow at long range.

The test drive option is your best bet, shipping is not super cheap but at least if you really don't like it you will not be loosing your shirt. Staff at APA was really helpful when I went through the process of buying my bow. Send an email to Nibal and explain him what you want to do with the bow, draw length and weight and ask him for is opinion on what bow to choose and he will respond to you normally the next day. He design the bows and know exactly what the bows were design for, they are good people to deal with.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:24 AM

I was on the search for a new bow for hunting and a bit of 3D this year. I tried the Matthews Creed, Hoyt Faktor 30/34, Bowtech Experiance, Elite Energy 32 and the APA Mamba M7 and the M34.

I loved the Faktor and APA's, the Elite shot very nice as well. In the end it came down to the M7 and Faktor for me, they both felt awesome to shoot and fit me well. I decided on the APA for a couple reasons the biggest being the cost, at $100 less the Hoyt just wasn't worth it especially considering the added value of the APA's features (carry handle and tool center) and it being a Canadian company.

Both the M7 and M34 drew very smooth, had a solid wall and I found them easy to hold on target. Both were very dead in hand, for what ever reason the geometry of the M7 fit me just a bit better, usually I like a longer axle-to-axle but the 32" of th M7 was just right for how I anchor. Which for me is bit of a bonus, being able to carry a slightly more compact bow while hunting.

I think anyone not giving consideration to APA bows if they are looking for something new is selling themselves short.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUVOODOO View Post
I find short brace height bows too aggresive and violent for what I am looking for in a bow. I like something more smooth, forgiving and "shootable".
My suggestion would be to lean more to the M6 if that is the type of bow you are looking for. I have talked to a lot of guys that shoot them and love them!
Like was suggested call APA tell them what you are looking for and see what they suggest, then do the test drive program. Or depending on what part of Minnesota you live in maybe you could drive across the boarder to give some APA's a try even, with the weakness of the CDN dollar it might work out in your favor and you get to take a road trip??
Old 04-12-2014, 07:17 AM

Default M5

You guys are great,I got more info from you guys then I have from most people . I'm going with the M6 for now to learn more about these bows . I'm speed junkie at heart but the M6 is up there want a good hunting and shooting rig !