Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-26-2016, 08:48 AM

Yes, I live in Parkland County. I have property here and I have access to many other good hunting properties. I have access to other properties in Leduc County as well, but this is not about me .. it's about opportunities and choices for anyone who has an interest... just like yourself.
Where you are, where and when you choose to hunt and what tool you choose to hunt with are your choices within the law.. That's all good.
There are a lot of others who wish to have those very same choices. Not much wrong with that, is there ?
Old 11-26-2016, 09:06 AM

We all have the same opportunities...just have to use the appropriate weapon for the defined seasons.

My opportunity is no more or less than others, in fact my choice of weapon puts me at a distinct disadvantage. I enjoy the challenge....just had two does walk by that I could not draw on. With a shotgun/muzzle loader/ or crossbow on a rest....it would be a doe down situation. They were trotting at 30 yards and I don't take moving shots on game with the bow.

But I digress, we all really do have the same CHOICES if you choose to use them.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 11-26-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
We all have the same opportunities...just have to use the appropriate weapon for the defined seasons.

My opportunity is no more or less than others, in fact my choice of weapon puts me at a distinct disadvantage. I enjoy the challenge....just had two does walk by that I could not draw on. With a shotgun/muzzle loader/ or crossbow on a rest....it would be a doe down situation.

LC
Lefty ... You just don't get it do you ? I hope your arrow doesn't deflect anywhere near what you do on this particular subject. Enjoy your disadvantage.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Lefty ... You just don't get it do you ? I hope your arrow doesn't deflect anywhere near what you do on this particular subject. Enjoy your disadvantage.
Yup I get it....you are upset you can't use a crossbow in your back yard. No one else can either unless they possess the permits required. I am enjoying my morning out bow hunting thanks! I assume you are in your treestand with your crossbow this morning, hope you see something and are able to post up some pics! Good luck!

LC
Old 11-26-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Yup I get it....you are upset you can't use a crossbow in your back yard. No one else can either unless they possess the permits required. I am enjoying my morning out bow hunting thanks! I assume you are in your treestand with your crossbow this morning, hope you see something and are able to post up some pics! Good luck!

LC
Like I said previously, this is not about me .. it appears to be more about you and what you are doing at the moment. Good to see you are still out hunting. I'm finished for this season.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:45 AM

Everyone has the same opportunities as the next person so whats the argument about?
Old 11-26-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
Funny enough, camp wainwright does not allow cross bows. Xbows have huge advantages over compounds - 5http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/5_Huge_Crossbow_Advantages/
This article is a bit repetitive as he mentions shooting positions and accuracy as three of the 5 advantages ....the fact that a weapon is accurate people can be proficient the should be a good thing. This is clearly wrote by an author with a bias towards vertical bows.

This is actually well written artice on this subject
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beckettc...ndroid-bell-ca
Old 11-26-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Any of the dedicated crossbow guys (permit or not) still using them for November-December?

I am planning on sticking out this whole season with the bow, might take a muzzle loader into Camp Wainwright (primitive season draw)....but I would have to borrow one from a buddy. Otherwise it will be bow there for that draw too.

Just curious how many strictly crossbow guys are out there?

LC
We have strayed from the OP....

Seems like very few crossbow users are still using them into November-December.

LC
Old 11-26-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Predator View Post
Everyone has the same opportunities as the next person so whats the argument about?
What the disagreement is about is precisely what you have stated. That statement is incorrect. Not all have the same opportunities and choices when applied to the Edmonton Bow Zone in particular. That's it, in a nutshell.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Read the first paragraph of my last post.

Plenty of guys continue to use bows once muzzle loader and shotgun open up in Strathcona.

LC
I get that but that's not a huge portion of people and there is much more to alberta than that. Many zones offer 2 full months or archery only season others zones 4 weeks....this is about opening up the opprotunity to cross bows not just vertical bows as they are on the same level with some advantages and disadvantages to each.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
What the disagreement is about is precisely what you have stated. That statement is incorrect. Not all have the same opportunities and choices when applied to the Edmonton Bow Zone in particular. That's it, in a nutshell.
Do you shoot a bow? If not why not? I can't shoot a rifle there for big game, neither can you. We all have the same rules to play by, the fact that some CHOOSE not to use bows and would prefer xbows....well, some would like to use rifles and can't. We all have the same rules and opportunities...and you say I don't get it LOL.

LC
Old 11-26-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
I get that but that's not a huge portion of people and there is much more to alberta than that. Many zones offer 2 full months or archery only season others zones 4 weeks....this is about opening up the opprotunity to cross bows not just vertical bows as they are on the same level with some advantages and disadvantages to each.
Some zones have 7 day archery only seasons.

LC
Old 11-26-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Do you shoot a bow? If not why not? I can't shoot a rifle there for big game, neither can you. We all have the same rules to play by, the fact that some CHOOSE not to use bows and would prefer xbows....well, some would like to use rifles and can't. We all have the same rules and opportunities...and you say I don't get it LOL.

LC
Yes, I have Bow's Lefty. I was shooting a Bow when you were still in liquid form, but that's not the point. Again, it's all about choices. Somehow, you are still having difficulty with that.
Why some choose to use an alternative tool to what you choose, in the same place and at the same time seems hard for you to digest.
Lets share the Bow Zone equally. Sound fair to you ?
Old 11-26-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Yes, I have Bow's Lefty. I was shooting a Bow when you were still in liquid form, but that's not the point. Again, it's all about choices. Somehow, you are still having difficulty with that.
Why some choose to use an alternative tool to what you choose, in the same place and at the same time seems hard for you to digest.
Lets share the Bow Zone equally. Sound fair to you ?
Well then show me how it's done, you clearly have more years under your belt than I do. We do share it equally now. Use a crossbow right next to me in Leduc or Strathcona County in 248 from Oct 25-Dec 7 all good! I can digest it just fine, you have a tough time stomaching it apparently....Ovaltine helps.

LC
Old 11-26-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Well then show me how it's done, you clearly have more years under your belt than I do. We do share it equally now. Use a crossbow right next to me in Leduc or Strathcona County in 248 from Oct 25-Dec 7 all good! I can digest it just fine, you have a tough time stomaching it apparently....Ovaltine helps.

LC
Just what I thought. All about Lefty and how good he is. I don't profess to have abilities anywhere near yours, but I do try to keep my friggin' ego under control.
Now, back to the subject ?
Old 11-26-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Just what I thought. All about Lefty and how good he is. I don't profess to have abilities anywhere near yours, but I do try to keep my friggin' ego under control.
Now, back to the subject ?
Lol...point out where I have an ego please. You are the one saying you have been doing it longer than I have been alive, that's not ego? Good for you! you are older than me, you beat me there hands down I'll point out multiple times you have attempted to draw me in...but you already know that. Not once have I done that. You keep looking for something that's not there.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 11-26-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Lol...point out where I have an ego please. You are the one saying you have been doing it longer than I have been alive, that's not ego? Good for you! you are older than me, you beat me there hands down I'll point out multiple times you have attempted to draw me in...but you already know that. Not once have I done that. You keep looking for something that's not there.

LC
Really? ... LOL . Because I responded to a question of your's whereby indicated I had used a Bow long before you? That had nothing to do with any ability I may have. Then you present a personal challenge? Gad man.

Let's leave it that. You pull your trigger of choice and I'll pull mine.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Yes, I have Bow's Lefty. I was shooting a Bow when you were still in liquid form
So politely put....I asked simply if you had a bow. Not your years of experience or accolades.

Also having a bow and shooting one are two different things. If you didn't shoot a bow or didn't have one, it would be easier to understand why you would want to use a crossbow.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 11-26-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
So politely put....I asked simply if you had a bow. Not your years of experience or accolades.

LC
Why on Earth would you think I didn't have a Bow ? You & I have been on this subject in the past and have discussed that very thing.
We disagree on a couple of points. So be it. It's not a pizzen contest Lefty. You win that, hands down !
Old 11-26-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Why on Earth would you think I didn't have a Bow ? You & I have been on this subject in the past and have discussed that very thing.
We disagree on a couple of points. So be it. It's not a pizzen contest Lefty. You win that, hands down !
Lol, sorry man I don't remember all of the members and all that they do on here. My mistake!

I didn't ask how old you were but that seems to have relevance to the conversation....so how old are you?

LC
Old 11-26-2016, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:

LC
I think that everyone realizes that your thread was a fishing expedition right from the start.

Good luck trying to figure out why someone looking to put meat in the freezer would opt for a rifle over a crossbow.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I think that everyone realizes that your thread was a fishing expedition right from the start.

Good luck trying to figure out why someone looking to put meat in the freezer would opt for a rifle over a crossbow.
If you don't like the thread, no one forces you to participate.

Asked a question trying to better understand how many folks use crossbows.

Anyhow it's been fun, on my way to try a muzzle loader, food banks need donations badly!

LC
Old 11-26-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
If you don't like the thread, no one forces you to participate.

Asked a question trying to better understand how many folks use crossbows.

Anyhow it's been fun, on my way to try a muzzle loader, food banks need donations badly!

LC

Yep, kill what you can and top up the Food Banks. Good for you Lefty. You the Man !
Old 11-26-2016, 12:05 PM
Banned

Don't hurt yourself climbing down off your soap box.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Yep, kill what you can and top up the Food Banks. Good for you Lefty. You the Man !
Been fortunate to fill my freezer this year and the camp Wainwright draw is a unique opportunity, if anyone here is is need of meat. I would gladly donate (if successful) what I harvest in Wainwright. Would be skinned and gutted and willing to let it hang in my cooler for anyone who wants to butcher it themselves or pick it up. Drop me a note if this appeals to anyone.

Lc
Old 11-26-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Don't hurt yourself climbing down off your soap box.
Oh you made room on yours? I'll be right up!

LC
Old 11-26-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Some zones have 7 day archery only seasons.

LC
And that changes the point zero.
Can't you just accept that the argument isn't about the ways in which you can currently use a crossbow and is about the inclusion of crossbow in archery only seasons?
Like it or not stop making the argument about something else.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
And that changes the point zero.
Can't you just accept that the argument isn't about the ways in which you can currently use a crossbow and is about the inclusion of crossbow in archery only seasons?
Like it or not stop making the argument about something else.
You pointed out seasons, so did I

Just playing along....

LC
Old 11-26-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:

LC
I got yer 6 Lefty
I am one of the few. Heading out tomorrow eve with the Matrix.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
I got yer 6 Lefty
I am one of the few. Heading out tomorrow eve with the Matrix.
Awesome buddy! Good luck, shoot straight.

LC