Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-28-2018, 09:22 AM

Default For all you manly men who feel recoil is not an issue

https://youtu.be/MNHZc_F2BZU

This not to sell brakes or even promote them, this is about recoil.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:08 AM

I shoot a Mauser 98 .308. No recoil pad, steel butt plate to bash in heads as last resort. Yeah, it hurts.
The only way its even close to enjoyable is a big ass leather sissy pad on my shoulder. Three shots is about it before I really get freaked out about the recoil and flinch my shots into the next county.
All joking aside, its my only big game rifle right now, and I really like the Mauser action. Been tossing around the idea of switching stocks on it, synthetic, or maybe a new modern wood and fit it properly to me.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:23 AM

Glad you posted this and I can't agree more.

I know personally that 25 rounds on a braked 338 LM was enough for me - no problem admitting that.

Now if you want to talk recoil, my 6mmBRs are brutal....
Old 11-28-2018, 10:48 AM

3 rounds out of my BILs 300 win mag and I'm done... I find that thing just plain rude! I can shoot the 7mm rem mag all day long... is the difference the cartridge, the rifle, the fit?

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:16 AM

the guy in this video has horrible seated shooting position. hes floating around unstable behind his rifle like one of those inflatable advertising wackyflailingarmguys

looks like some bad habits picked up by shooting calibers that allow bad shooting position and dont bite you...

some proper rifle holding position would be a big benefit to him not scoping himself.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
3 rounds out of my BILs 300 win mag and I'm done... I find that thing just plain rude! I can shoot the 7mm rem mag all day long... is the difference the cartridge, the rifle, the fit?

ARG
Largely stock design and fit. They are not all that different.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Largely stock design and fit. They are not all that different.
Unless iou are shooting 140’s out of the 7 mag and 180’s out of the 300?
That would make a difference fir sure if both rifles are the same brand with factory stocks
Cat
Old 11-28-2018, 01:11 PM

Plenty of ways to tame perceived or felt recoil. Lighter bullets, recoil pads, brakes, different stocks, mercury reducers, pads, pad spacers for LOP, form, better ear muffs. I haven't used a brake or mercury reducer yet on my stuff.
I turfed my 450-400 this year, as I had my fun with it, it was a bit nasty till I changed the recoil pad, then I went to a lighter bullet at the same speed and it was quite shootable after that. But, it was more than I wanted to put up with as a plinker. Never once had an issue with my 338WM in a KS Mtn rifle, 1885 in 300H&H is heavy enough that is is as nice as the 338 was. I can shoot my 12ga SXS with a wood buttplate all day and 3" rounds without getting sore, I had a pad added this year, then it was even nicer to shoot.. I noticed quite a difference in shooting a new A300 this year, it was actually not as pleasant as the SXS to shoot. Little Merkel K1 in 7mag is a muzzle jumper with 160gr loads, shoulder is fine though, 140's settle the muzzle somewhat, but, it still wants to jump. Put a spacer and a new pad on the 30R Blaser SXS, haven't shot it yet since doing that, should be better yet, never was an issue anyway, just wanted a bit more length, we'll see. May pull the spacer to get it to fit in the hardcase again though.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Unless iou are shooting 140’s out of the 7 mag and 180’s out of the 300?
That would make a difference fir sure if both rifles are the same brand with factory stocks
Cat
True dat
Old 11-29-2018, 07:08 AM

No problem saying I run brakes on my guns. Got brakes on almost all of them, from 300 RUM to 6.5X47's. I have never had to stop practice because I couldn't take the recoil anymore. My 300 WIN Mag shoots Berger 215's at 3000 fps and is a pleasure to shoot. The 6.5X47's are extremely light recoiling. I know guys don't like the noise/back blast but buy a good set of electronic ear plugs and you can hunt with your brake on. I routinely forget I have mine in when I finish shooting/hunting. They are very comfortable.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:22 AM

Recoil is definitely a thing. Hard to beat the 223s and 6MMs for high volume practice.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:43 AM

So let’s take something that will not cause permanent damage and turn it into something that will. Congratulations.

Shoot something with less bullet weight and powder behind it. A novel concept I know. But it works.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-29-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongside View Post
Recoil is definitely a thing. Hard to beat the 223s and 6MMs for high volume practice.
I agree with the practice.
If you start out shooting a high recoil rifle and develop bad habits then decide you will go to your practice suggestion, there is still recoil memory.

I have witnessed recoil sensitive shooters practice all the time but when they get behind their high powered rifle; they can't hit the target as they are anticipating the recoil and flinching so bad.

Like training a dog to shooting; start out small (.22) and work up.

Case in point:
When I was 14 years old my dad and uncle took me out to shoot a 12 gauge shotgun for the first time.

It was a nice fall day with a t-shirt on, and that Cooey single shot, with no recoil pad, managed to bleed my nose, watered my eyes, knocked my hat off, twisted my glasses and black/blue my shoulder....hahaha....it was ugly....

By 10 rounds out of the box of ammo, I had my t-shirt off and all bundled up like a recoil pad. I was flinching so bad I couldn't hit a pop can on the ground....

I laugh now but is was no fun.

I introduced my son and daughter to the slower and softer method and worked our way up....Both very shoot well...

Good luck....all IMHO....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 11-29-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:29 AM
Gone Hunting

Amusing isn't it?

All those guys who say the recoil doesn't bother them and the market for recoil reduction is booming. Yeah I know, it's the other guy.

Just how small does a guys tickle tube have to be before he can no longer admit that recoil hurts.

I have no problems admitting I don't like the kick of my 06 and ain't no way I'll ever shoot one of those canons without wheals that so many seem to think are the only option.

My grandma used to say, a fool and his money are easily parted. That is proven true here almost every day.

Chasing the new shiny some call it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-29-2018, 08:56 AM
Banned

If people really knew how much, or maybe I should say how little power is required to cleanly harvest an animal I’m sure recoil would be way less of an issue.

You hear people say I don’t like the animal to run, I like bang flop. Truth of the matter is, only a spine shot will result in a bang flop, cartridge has little to do with it provided you are within range of proper penatration. I watched an elk get hit in the arse, then hit in the boiler room, then finally hit in the shoulder/spine before finally dropping this fall, the guy was using a 300win mag. The spine shot was the bang flop. My son shot his deer in the neck with a 270win, bang flop. My buddy shot a mule deer 3 times in the boiler room, then once in the antler because he thought he was hitting low, deer finally layed down and died about 10 seconds after the shooting was done, same guy, same gun, close to the exact same distance shot a whitetail and it disappeared before he could open his eyes from the recoil of the shot, bang flop, shot it in the shoulder/spine.

Recoil sucks, but in a Hunting rifle it’s not going to kill you. Buying a scope with generous eye relief will help prevent you from getting scoped, but also realizing your shooting capabilities and matching them with a suitable cartridge is a good idea as well.

I’m positive there isn’t an animal in Alberta you can hunt that requires a magnum rifle 300yds and under, and I don’t think 90% of hunters have any business shooting any further than that.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:01 AM

That guy's a typical hipster wimp. No pain, no gain. My favourite gun is my unbraked .500 Jeffery.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongside View Post
Ya and add the lone sub 10 ft/lb recoil energy 6.5 into that mix now too with the Grendel. Recoil energy under 8 ft/lbs in 8 lb rifle. All other 6.5’s are over 10 ft/lbs.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
So let’s take something that will not cause permanent damage and turn it into something that will. Congratulations.

Shoot something with less bullet weight and powder behind it. A novel concept I know. But it works.
Yup, went down this road, never again. They work good but for primarily hunting rig with reasonable range limits then not worth it at all.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I agree with the practice.
If you start out shooting a high recoil rifle and develop bad habits then decide you will go to your practice suggestion, there is still recoil memory.

I introduced my son and daughter to the slower and softer method and worked our way up....Both very shoot well...
Totally. I also try to keep recoil a nonissue for my kiddos. I try to get my two teenage sons at least 150-200 rounds of practice with their big game rifles (708 & 308) annually. But by far the bulk of their rifle practice is with a .222 @ steel and 22RF at gophers. They get a fair bit of practice from field positions, only enough bench time for sighting-in/confirming drops/confidence building. They shoot better than many and take a great deal of pride in it.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:

Bingo ^^^^^
Old 11-29-2018, 11:02 AM

Why are some people assuming that if a person isn't bothered by recoil they are lying to themselves.
I know a small framed lady that is shooting a gun that creates far more recoil than the gun in the video.
Is she compensating for having no penis or has she just learned how to manage recoil?
The gun in the video is not even close to causing enough recoil to be a problem.
If a medium/heavy rifle like a Sendero in 300 WSM is causing pain, after a good pad was installed, there is another problem.
That problem may be in the shooters head rather than their shoulder.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:

Agreed.

I also think that people don't put enough thought into their own eye/ear protection and how noise causes them to flinch almost as much as recoil itself. I find a brake can cause as much if not more of a 'flinch' due to the loud noise and most don't treat this nearly as important as looking for a magic cure against recoil.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Why are some people assuming that if a person isn't bothered by recoil they are lying to themselves.
I know a small framed lady that is shooting a gun that creates far more recoil than the gun in the video.
Is she compensating for having no penis or has she just learned how to manage recoil?
The gun in the video is not even close to causing enough recoil to be a problem.
If a medium/heavy rifle like a Sendero in 300 WSM is causing pain, after a good pad was installed, there is another problem.
Cumulative recoil is the problem. There is a point in the day when enough is enough.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-29-2018, 12:37 PM

I just shoot my magnum through a box or two until my shoulder gets sore.

Then I just take the purse from the guy with the muzzle brake next to me and use it as padding as I shoot through the next few boxes.

(Sorry! I couldn't resist! Honest!)
Old 11-29-2018, 01:30 PM

Default recoil

try out 375 ouch and ouch with max dg loads off the bench if that's not enough switch to 45-70 in ruger number one and launch a few 535 grnrs at 1800 fps remember pain and pleasure are almost the same how much can you stand they both leave me shakin for more than a couple a minutes after
Old 11-29-2018, 01:49 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I'm not sure anyone is assuming anything. Muzzle brake sales speak for themselves.

Then there's experience. Some people don't feel pain the way others do.
My dad used to casually pick glowing embers off the floor whenever they'd fall out of the old wood heater while he was loading more wood.

Then there was big Mike. A football player with some NFL teem I can't remember the name of. I guided him on a few hunts. His rifle of choice was a muzzle braked 375 ouch and ouch.
The man couldn't hit more then two shots out of ten he flinched so bad but to hear him tell it, that Elephant gun was a pleasure to shoot.

Dern thing kicked so bad it broke my outfitters collar bone and blackened both his eyes. And the man put more lead downrange then any two other guys I know.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-29-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Cumulative recoil is the problem. There is a point in the day when enough is enough.
Of course it does but it doesn't come into play in a hunting scenario.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:55 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
try out 375 ouch and ouch with max dg loads off the bench if that's not enough switch to 45-70 in ruger number one and launch a few 535 grnrs at 1800 fps remember pain and pleasure are almost the same how much can you stand they both leave me shakin for more than a couple a minutes after
LOL I have a couple of cartridges in my collection that might be in the running.
I wonder what a 45-110 would be like, or how about a 577/450. I bet either one could kick the blush off a lumberjacks cheeks.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-30-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Of course it does but it doesn't come into play in a hunting scenario.
Oh but it does come into play hunting....

I was out with a friend and his 14 year old son. He was lined up on a deer 150 yards out. I was standing beside him when he shot.

When the round went off, his eyes were closed and the round struck the dirt 10 feet before the deer. The deer scampered off to live another day.

I asked "what happened" and he said, "I remembered how much it hurt my arm, to shoot back in the summer, and I knew it would hurt now".

There are some good suggestions here; a muzzle brake like Keg suggests, smaller caliber, lighter loads, practice/practice/practice...

Once the discomfort is in your head, it will be a while before it is gone or maybe not.....!

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:51 AM

I like the recoil when I'm out hunting. Makes me think twice about the shot.