Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
At what point is archery no longer archery. I believe the line we are about to cross with crossbows is that line.
Me too. What are the limits if you allow crossbows? You no longer have to draw or hold the weapon at draw. Compound bows have pretty much topped out in technical advancement in my opinion. The limiting factor is having to pull it and hold it. Is there a limit to what kind of technological advancements you will see with crossbows over the next 10 or 20 years? Maybe the performance of the two is similar now but that could change a lot in the coming years. These sort of rule changes are hard to go back on once they are implemented.

A sensible equipment limitation in my opinion is where it is at right now. The thing I wrestle with most regarding this issue is are we preventing people from participating? - which is something I don't want to see. I think the disabled crossbow permit system is important. Anyone permanently unable to use a bow needs to have access to the archery season. I'm not as worried about people who sustain an injury that temporarily leaves them unable to shoot a bow. That's life. You don't get a permit to shoot your rifle from the truck if your back is sore.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:56 PM

I too am one who did not want to really get involved in this great debate but the quote in the last post hits the nail on the head.
Shooting a cross bow in my mind, is not archery and does not belong in the archery seasons. Thats my opinion.
For the most part, the archery seasons are primarly in the rut seasons, particulary for Moose and Elk. The way I see it the people who are pushing for these new changes are people who want to hunt these same zones at these same times but want to have the easiest means (weapons) available. I'm not going to say one way or another that shooting a crossbow is easy but let all be very honest, it's nothing like shooting a compound bow or traditional bow. Again, all this is in my opinion.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
That's life. You don't get a permit to shoot your rifle from the truck if your back is sore.

Yeah actually you do.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:44 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
Yeah actually you do.

Theres a good one. Keep em coming ishootbambi.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 04-20-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Theres a good one. Keep em coming ishootbambi.
Actually, he's right! I had a client that was missing a leg, before he passed away, he used to brag about having a permit to shoot from the truck or quad, and F & W would come help him load it , if he didn't have anyone to help. I physically saw the permit.I guess They are rare but they do exist!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Actually, he's right! I had a client that was missing a leg, before he passed away, he used to brag about having a permit to shoot from the truck or quad, and F & W would come help him load it , if he didn't have anyone to help. I physically saw the permit.I guess They are rare but they do exist!
Yes I have seen one as well. I was just in another thread and was reading about a 500fps xgun that shoots a
600gr bolt. I was wondering how that is the same as a compound bow? You guys want them so bad take the scopes off them and your muzzle loaders.That would make it the same playing field.No more 150-300 yard shots out of you muzzle loaders. Also I dont see anyone hunting with a scope on there bows even though you can. Just a thought.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
I'm aware that the permit exists and I know a guy that is paralyzed that has one as well. What I was saying in my post was that I am glad there is a way for permanently disabled people to participate in the archery season via the crossbow permit, just as disabled people can get a permit to shoot from a vehicle in the rifle season. However I don't think that just because my back is sore for a week I should get a permit to shoot from a vehicle or if my shoulder is sore that I should qualify for a croosbow permit. If it is a temporary disability, suck it up and do without. I have heard stories of crossbow permits being very difficult to obtain for people that will never be able to shoot a bow again and if it is true then that is something that should be addressed because I don't want to see anyone permanently excluded from any hunting season.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Gone Hunting

I did not know that was the case. I stand corrected, and I do appologise ishootbambi. Sorry for the side-track fellas.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 04-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Banned

im not offeded pack. i know two people who have the permit. one guy is in a wheelchair, and the other has athsma to the point he cant walk far at all. the guy in the wheelchair has taken a few nice bucks too.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
Yes I have seen one as well. I was just in another thread and was reading about a 500fps xgun that shoots a
600gr bolt. I was wondering how that is the same as a compound bow? You guys want them so bad take the scopes off them and your muzzle loaders.That would make it the same playing field.No more 150-300 yard shots out of you muzzle loaders. Also I dont see anyone hunting with a scope on there bows even though you can. Just a thought.
How does a scope make any difference to a crossbow at 40 yards? The answer is it doesn't, magnification makes no difference at that range. Why are there scopes on crossbows? Tradition, just as there are no sights on a longbow and sights are common on a compound. Put compound sites on a crossbow and you changed nothing.
Taking the scopes off muzzleloaders won't limit the range of the gun. I started hunting long before scopes were common and 200 yard shots were normal using open sights. I will say that it would be much better for the game with quicker cleaner kills using scopes but I have no qualms shooting as far as I want with open sights.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
How does a scope make any difference to a crossbow at 40 yards? The answer is it doesn't, magnification makes no difference at that range. Why are there scopes on crossbows? Tradition, just as there are no sights on a longbow and sights are common on a compound. Put compound sites on a crossbow and you changed nothing.
Taking the scopes off muzzleloaders won't limit the range of the gun. I started hunting long before scopes were common and 200 yard shots were normal using open sights. I will say that it would be much better for the game with quicker cleaner kills using scopes but I have no qualms shooting as far as I want with open sights.
bull I would love to see you shoot both with and with out a scope. Or go get the proof and post pics. I know I am right on this one. (human error do to no optics).
Old 04-21-2010, 01:55 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
bull I would love to see you shoot both with and with out a scope. Or go get the proof and post pics. I know I am right on this one. (human error do to no optics).
I've seen 209 shoot a muzzleloader with both at 100 yards. With the scope he was right around 1MOA...with open sights he was slightly under 2MOA. In a hunting situation...zero difference and that was at 100 yards, not 50.

Just cause I know he's busy this afternoon and this will save him the trip outside to provide the proof....
Old 04-21-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I've seen 209 shoot a muzzleloader with both at 100 yards. With the scope he was right around 1MOA...with open sights he was slightly under 2MOA. In a hunting situation...zero difference and that was at 100 yards, not 50.

Just cause I know he's busy this afternoon and this will save him the trip outside to provide the proof....
See what happens when you try to have a civil conversation with some peoples kids?! Sheesh...
Old 04-21-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
This is one of the sillier post on this insane thread.......
Old 04-21-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
Old 04-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:

Who said anything abot a muzzle loader at 100 yards how abot 200+.It would be an equal to a xbow at 60 yard. Like I have stated. You have all the time to practice and are more experienced than 98% of people with your gear.Put an average person behind the gun or xbow. Big Difference.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
See what happens when you try to have a civil conversation with some peoples kids?! Sheesh...
why is it you are always flapin those gums of yours? It is going to get you it to some trouble some time soon.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
Ya your comment sure is.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:41 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Who said anything abot a muzzle loader at 100 yards how abot 200+.It would be an equal to a xbow at 60 yard. .
That doesn't even make sense. 60 yards is 60 yards regardless of weapon. We are talking magnification here and its relevance to distance...not weapon ballistics.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
That doesn't even make sense. 60 yards is 60 yards regardless of weapon. We are talking magnification here and its relevance to distance...not weapon ballistics.
Sorry TJ... Take a bow at 60 yards shot 3 times You will shoot a 3-4" group min with a scope. Take your scope off and a bet it will double in size. That means more room to miss your target.Just like a muzzle loader @200 yards. TDoes that make more sense? Also we are talking freehand not off a rest.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:49 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Sorry TJ... Take a bow at 60 yards shot 3 times You will shoot a 3-4" group min with a scope. Take your scope off and a bet it will double in size. That means more room to miss your target.Just like a muzzle loader @200 yards. TDoes that make more sense? Also we are talking freehand not off a rest.
It makes no sense at all......magnification is distance related...not weapon. I say again, 60 yards is 60 yards. Distance does not change relative to the device the magnifying scope is on. Please tell me you can see that Justin.... Not sure why you keep trying to increase the distance too. I've been talking 50 or less all along. Face it, you are wrong on this one. 50 yards is 50 yards, whether mounted on a crossbow, rifle or muzzleloader and magnification has the same effect......ugh......

Last edited by sheephunter; 04-21-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Who said anything abot a muzzle loader at 100 yards how abot 200+.It would be an equal to a xbow at 60 yard. Like I have stated. You have all the time to practice and are more experienced than 98% of people with your gear.Put an average person behind the gun or xbow. Big Difference.
The point you senselessly want to argue is based on your ethics, which to you, if no one else in the world, are the right ones. People have been shooting rifles with open sights free hand at 200 yards and further for hundreds of years. How stupid do you have to be to think that outlawing scopes is going to limit range?
Your complete lack of experience is showing and I enjoy how quickly you can embarrass your self. I await your next blunder! LOL
Old 04-22-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
why is it you are always flapin those gums of yours? It is going to get you it to some trouble some time soon.
Careful threats might get you another timeout to go stand in the corner!
Old 04-22-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
If you are that bad of a shot i wouldn't shoot 60 yards either. At 40 or 50 or even 60 yards if you can see a difference when using magnification then you need glasses.
Closed Thread