Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-24-2021, 12:11 AM

If there’s one situation that makes sense for tags for fish in Alberta it would be cold lake lake trout in my opinion. Hand out a few hundred/thousand tags (whatever biologists seem fit) in an eater size range and let the big ones grow to monster trophy status.

Not sure how I feel about a slot. Unlike walleye/pike the options on various lakes throughout the province aren’t plentiful so all pressure would be directed at cold lake.

Only problem I could see would be how many tags allocated vs how many applied. If it was a 10 year wait, it would be counter productive to people wanting to catch a keeper.

Anyways, I think Alberta should focus a bit of attention on trophy quality. I have no problem with some lakes with trophy genetics being designated as catch and release only if that’s what the bios determine is best for producing big fish in certain lakes. If the municipality wants tourism I think the chance at a 40 pounder would far outweigh the chance at keeping a fish
Old 08-24-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
If there’s one situation that makes sense for tags for fish in Alberta it would be cold lake lake trout in my opinion. Hand out a few hundred/thousand tags (whatever biologists seem fit) in an eater size range and let the big ones grow to monster trophy status.

Not sure how I feel about a slot. Unlike walleye/pike the options on various lakes throughout the province aren’t plentiful so all pressure would be directed at cold lake.

Only problem I could see would be how many tags allocated vs how many applied. If it was a 10 year wait, it would be counter productive to people wanting to catch a keeper.

Anyways, I think Alberta should focus a bit of attention on trophy quality. I have no problem with some lakes with trophy genetics being designated as catch and release only if that’s what the bios determine is best for producing big fish in certain lakes. If the municipality wants tourism I think the chance at a 40 pounder would far outweigh the chance at keeping a fish
I'm curious on your stance on the slot size and reasoning as I don't think it changes a thing... I have had conversations with the bio's this year and when suggesting a slot they always say it will never be able to withstand the pressure.... I agree with a smaller slot size not being sustainable in the long run as these cold water fish are slow to grow and the angling effort (pressure) is extremely high

My argument to that is why can't we change to 75-80cm slot. It doesn't change anything other then some of the bigger fish are released that make it out of the slot range. Yes it's not a huge change that most of us would like to see or are calling for but its a small step in the right direction... They've never had an answer to why this couldn't happen.

Ideally a lot of people would like to see tags but more then likely this would never happen as it is considered a Saskatchewan lake as well and they don't have a tag system set up like we do here in Alberta so this will probably never happen.

Lots of great conversations here always nice to everyone's opinions on one of Alberta's best fisheries and ideas on how we can improve it
Old 08-24-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavster View Post
I'm curious on your stance on the slot size and reasoning as I don't think it changes a thing... I have had conversations with the bio's this year and when suggesting a slot they always say it will never be able to withstand the pressure.... I agree with a smaller slot size not being sustainable in the long run as these cold water fish are slow to grow and the angling effort (pressure) is extremely high

My argument to that is why can't we change to 75-80cm slot. It doesn't change anything other then some of the bigger fish are released that make it out of the slot range. Yes it's not a huge change that most of us would like to see or are calling for but its a small step in the right direction... They've never had an answer to why this couldn't happen.

Ideally a lot of people would like to see tags but more then likely this would never happen as it is considered a Saskatchewan lake as well and they don't have a tag system set up like we do here in Alberta so this will probably never happen.

Lots of great conversations here always nice to everyone's opinions on one of Alberta's best fisheries and ideas on how we can improve it
I like the idea of a narrow, upper size slot. I also agree that tags would not happen as the lake straddles the provincial border.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 08-26-2021, 03:48 PM

i actually submitted a enquiry to jason nixons office last year about the cold lake trout retention. it took a month for a response to show up, and when it did, it was not overly promising sounding for any changes to be coming.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:48 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weavster View Post

but Matt don't we want to let that size be released? Plus as for eating that's not very good unless you smoke it...they get greasy/fatty....perhaps a 18"-20" slot for eaters and limited to only one....I know this lake has huge potential as in trophy size fish but that will take some time...all the legal keepers we catch go back in the drink....hopefully to grow into 36" plus fish.

maybe we give the lakers a break for 2 years as in no retention and see what starts happening...they still are a blast to catch.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-26-2021, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
but Matt don't we want to let that size be released? Plus as for eating that's not very good unless you smoke it...they get greasy/fatty....perhaps a 18"-20" slot for eaters and limited to only one....I know this lake has huge potential as in trophy size fish but that will take some time...all the legal keepers we catch go back in the drink....hopefully to grow into 36" plus fish.

maybe we give the lakers a break for 2 years as in no retention and see what starts happening...they still are a blast to catch.
Thats the problem with how much pressure there is on this lake. I don't disagree with fisheries that a smaller slot size such as the 18-20" you sugested would decimate the fish population long term. The reason we have such a healthy population now is that these fish have time to reproduce before they are harvested.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:40 PM

if anybody would like a direct email to express their concerns, this man is listed as the senior biologist for cold lake. Dwayne.Latty@gov.ab.ca
Old 08-26-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

Maybe all things considered no retention is the best way if a strictly controlled quota can't be maintained via a tag or something of the sort. If the regulations did go to catch and release I wouldn't mind it staying that way for a good long time. As has been mentioned the bigger fish just aren't worth keeping for the table.

Another thing with slots, or the current 1 over 75cm regulations is the amount of extra fish handling that goes on measuring fish looking for that one to keep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildalberta View Post
if anybody would like a direct email to express their concerns, this man is listed as the senior biologist for cold lake. Dwayne.Latty@gov.ab.ca
Thanks for the contact
Old 08-26-2021, 11:19 PM

^^ not really(regarding the handling of fish), my fishing guide told us that when we need both hands to hold the fish- that’s the keeper!
Old 08-27-2021, 06:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Maybe we let the lake rest for a few years, go to a tag system and see what happens then....I know lakes around here that did really well with walleye....and I mean tons of walleye caught everyday and some are just hogs.....trust me my kayak gets a workout hauling them in one after another....cold Lake is very accessible as in drive to and let’s face it lakers Are not hard to catch for the most part so they get picked off quickly....oh well tight lines folks...heading off to the coast for some salt water action

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-27-2021, 09:14 AM

Default What are my chances?

I’m good with the C&R. Even if for a long time. There are some great tasting and much smaller lakers in some of our mountain areas

2nd choice would be the narrow slot size.

Not in favour of current regs at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2021, 02:54 PM

With the fish in the 65-70 cm range already established in the lake ive always wondered if a narrow slot was introduced say 60 to 64 cm was brought in what would happen.....?? The fish already over would have protection hopefully and lakers are generally long lived...the numbers sure would decrease but overall quality would increase?? I am also not in favor of the current regs will not work long term, the overall size is definitely decreasing in the last decade.