Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-17-2023, 06:35 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by I’d rather be outdoors View Post
Registration (or limited validity) won’t influence unsafe boating. This is another cash grab, plain & simple.
Cash grab that should be put back into the system to get more LEO’s out and about would be nice to see.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-17-2023, 06:55 AM

I don't own a boat and therefore don't have a boating license. Do boaters actually get asked to produce their credentials by LEOs?
Old 07-17-2023, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I don't own a boat and therefore don't have a boating license. Do boaters actually get asked to produce their credentials by LEOs?
I haven't been asked to produce my boat operators card, or my registration papers.
Old 07-17-2023, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
Im not lobbying for anything. Im opposing the current changes where theres increased costs and rules for EVERYONE because of the few who dont follow the rules. Wouldn't it have made more sense to actually enforce the rules we already had?
Yep, I agree, it would make sense to simply enforce the rules, IF those rules actually had any kind of a benefit.

You're in favor of more enforcment and harsh fines for not registering your boat, fair enough, but that leads directly to where the feds are already going... Someone has to pay for all those boats being registered and all of that enforcement. The fines collected alone won't cover that cost, not even close.

This is a tax grab. They know that there's millions of dollars in uncollected sales taxes out there, but in order to enforce the rules, they need to create the paper trails that will let them track every boat and collect that cash. They're looking at a bill of at least $320MM to do that, so, they're proposing a way to make boaters pay the cost of them collecting that data/cash, and wrapping it in the unassailable flag of "safety".

Death and taxes...
Old 07-17-2023, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Cash grab that should be put back into the system to get more LEO’s out and about would be nice to see.
That's a pipe dream. It'll pay for limo rides and EDI training...

I'd like to see some more enforcement too, but other than the odd RCMP detachment that has an officer or two that really likes boating, that just ain't gonna happen.
Old 07-17-2023, 09:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
That's a pipe dream. It'll pay for limo rides and EDI training...

I'd like to see some more enforcement too, but other than the odd RCMP detachment that has an officer or two that really likes boating, that just ain't gonna happen.

True but gotta have a dream even if it is a pipe dream.

For 15 years I had little to know use of larger boat launches but recently got a bigger boat and due to the size I am subjected to the dreaded boat launch.

Good place to set up camp and as a LEO for a wk end and have a field day.

We redirected the boat and got an email confirmation with the AB number good for I believe 90 days until the the paperwork etc arrives in the mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-17-2023, 10:05 AM

This is how government works. Invent a problem, charge and collect fees, all the money goes to administration of the fees, create a job for yourself for life. No program ever gets cancelled, all programs grow over time.

This is not about identifying who owns a boat in case of an accident. There are fewer than 300 boating accidents in Canada per year, very few of them involve missing persons or abandoned boats where knowing who owns the boat make a difference. A significant number of drownings involve human powered watercraft (canoes and paddleboards) that are not registered.

The serial number on a boat could be used to identify who owns the boat. This is about collecting fees and for fines when identifying a boat at distance for infractions.

I have been asked for my Operator card on a lake, but never for the registration.
Old 07-18-2023, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
True but gotta have a dream even if it is a pipe dream.

For 15 years I had little to know use of larger boat launches but recently got a bigger boat and due to the size I am subjected to the dreaded boat launch.

Good place to set up camp and as a LEO for a wk end and have a field day.

We redirected the boat and got an email confirmation with the AB number good for I believe 90 days until the the paperwork etc arrives in the mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got that email too, and had a good giggle over it. Couldn't give a rat's patoee if I have the boat registration in hand or not after 90 days. I sure won't be putting the boat into storage if they don't do their part. ;-)
Old 07-23-2023, 07:43 AM

Should be grandfathered in. If you bought a lifetime one prior to the announced changes then you’re still good to go. Get a DUI etc then you’re renewing every 5 yrs once you can get it back. Issue a brand new operators license to a newb, ok you’re renewing it every 5 yrs too but maybe it should be 10 instead. The next thing will be the Libs requiring everyone to have collision and liability insurance even on a paddle board ffs. It never ends, if they could charge a day use fee at ever body of water and make you wear an ankle bracelet to be sure they can squeeze the 5 dollars out of you they would. Oops I shouldn’t have given them that idea
Old 07-23-2023, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerchBuster View Post
Should be grandfathered in. If you bought a lifetime one prior to the announced changes then you’re still good to go. Get a DUI etc then you’re renewing every 5 yrs once you can get it back. Issue a brand new operators license to a newb, ok you’re renewing it every 5 yrs too but maybe it should be 10 instead. The next thing will be the Libs requiring everyone to have collision and liability insurance even on a paddle board ffs. It never ends, if they could charge a day use fee at ever body of water and make you wear an ankle bracelet to be sure they can squeeze the 5 dollars out of you they would. Oops I shouldn’t have given them that idea
I bought and paid for a 'lifetime' card, and that's what I have. Good for my entire life!! I will never pay for another, and if need be that's what I'll tell the judge.
Old 07-23-2023, 08:56 AM

I think some are confusing the operator license with the boat registration.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 07-24-2023, 08:34 AM

Default New Boat Registration Rules

Thanks for the heads up on this. Submitted mine early last week and received it this morning by email.