Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-16-2009, 05:22 PM
jrs

Take you Barry Mitchell's so you have some places to go after a few hours if its windy. The wind isn't exactly manageable when it decides to blow, i've lost tons of gear out there on windy days and seen a few guys getting decent speed themselves trying to slow down their ice shacks.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:13 PM

Default Its 8pm and she's blowin hard!

Well... I'm feelin better. I just picked up my kids from dance and the wind is really going hard.

I'll buzz out to the parkin lot tomorrow anyways, bout 8AM. I'll probably just set up past the house on the lake as ther's springs real close there, it attracts the fish in the spring time. and the trees might cut the wind.
Next week might be better to try the narrows.
After a while, I'll pack up and do Emerald lake (the one attached to Crow). I've caught lots of lakers through the ice there, but not much for size.

bd

it is very windy there.... we may want to just meet and hit Chris restaraunt for breakfast and tell big fish lies to each other.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:31 PM

Default Crowsnest lake too windy!!

Sooo, Sagegundog and I made it to Crowsnest this morning and all I can say is holy wind. We thought we'd be in luck since everywhere else in SW Alberta seemed calm and beautiful. Unfortunately, Crowsnest lake had a mind of it's own and we didn't fish after Sagegundog's bucket blew away and my tent almost ripped in half. After barely making it back to the truck and comparing the deplorable conditions to what we imagined would be like on Mt. Everest, we packed up our gear and bee-lined it for Beauvais lake where the wind and fishing was much better. I'll let Sagegundog link the photos and tell the story of the 7.7 lb brown he caught!...
Old 01-17-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethbridge_1 View Post
Sooo, Sagegundog and I made it to Crowsnest this morning and all I can say is holy wind. We thought we'd be in luck since everywhere else in SW Alberta seemed calm and beautiful. Unfortunately, Crowsnest lake had a mind of it's own and we didn't fish after Sagegundog's bucket blew away and my tent almost ripped in half. After barely making it back to the truck and comparing the deplorable conditions to what we imagined would be like on Mt. Everest, we packed up our gear and bee-lined it for Beauvais lake where the wind and fishing was much better. I'll let Sagegundog link the photos and tell the story of the 7.7 lb brown he caught!...
I wish that I could have made it down today...I'm planning on next week yet...How many trout total...
Old 01-17-2009, 09:56 PM

Now ya know why that devoloper left town with all the money. Me and my brother had a real good laugh when they heard they wanted to build condos there. Looks good in pics' but that wind is relentless. They must of been waiting for Yanks to buy em. Which didn't happen either from the sound of it.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-19-2009, 11:09 AM

Like Lethbridge1 said, the wind was howling. Lost my bucket. I think it went the whole length of the lake in less than a minute.

Went o Beauvais and caught a 7.7lb Brown.

Still want to catch a 10lb Laker out of Crowsnest Lake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100.jpg (57.4 KB, 131 views)
Old 01-19-2009, 11:25 AM

Default Lakers bait?

hi guys, decided to try some Lakers this week end and now have a question: what is the best ( I understand, that it`s not gonna be the same every day) lure, jig, hook for the lakers, also what is the best (again) color of the "hook"?

thanks a lot
Kot
Old 01-19-2009, 03:49 PM

That's a pretty nice brown you got there! I'm thinking about heading out to Beauvais this weekend.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagegundog View Post
Like Lethbridge1 said, the wind was howling. Lost my bucket. I think it went the whole length of the lake in less than a minute.

Went o Beauvais and caught a 7.7lb Brown.

Still want to catch a 10lb Laker out of Crowsnest Lake.
Way to go Sage, that is a beauty....I'm heading down to the pass this weekend...Lets try the Crow

David
Old 01-19-2009, 05:31 PM
jrs

Default the brown?

Did you guys eat the brown? If so how was it? Just curious as when i was in school down there we tried eating a few of the big browns from that lake (mostly broodstocks at the time) and they..well.. had a different flavor to them. The rainbows were always fine but for whatever reason the browns were borderline edible. I stop and fish there the odd weekend still, fun little lake. Lots of good put and takes in that area.

And Kot, white buzzbombs for lakers, can't go wrong.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:11 AM

Can I ask where on the lake that you where fishing and what tackle did you use to catch that brown. I have fished that lake for years and only caught the stocked fish in both summer and winter. Nothing bigger then 10 inches.
Thanks