Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-09-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Do you need a thousand or just 5 in southern Alberta. Just word getting around remote lake could have a sat phone near by could deter some.

Most cases foothills and mountain lakes lack cell service.
I agree. I've always like the idea of random reinforcement. They'd only need a few phones (they must use some already), recruit reliable volunteers from all around the province and periodically put them into play.

That and calling in the drones may do a world of good.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
No, the idea was for you to try it, not me :-)
I was being figuratively.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-09-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
I agree. I've always like the idea of random reinforcement. They'd only need a few phones (they must use some already), recruit reliable volunteers from all around the province and periodically put them into play.

That and calling in the drones may do a world of good.
Random scares poachers more. However one could say more random checks by officers. Not likely. Less likely than having a loaner sat phone.

I think spending say $2000 on a phone and minutes in one year would likely result in making more money. Maybe a sat company would donate one for promotional purposes.

The guy saying I should do it to make money assumes I am fishing all the time and at high fish waters with no cell coverage.

Again. Thinking the phone would be best served in high risk areas with no cell coverage.

I don't have 100 days to spend fishing so wouldn't make me money. However some lakes with food access do get patrolled better.

It would be interesting to see what F&W officers say are the top poached water bodies in Alberta.

Maybe remote lakes have less poaching pressure. My personal experience seeing bait bags at mountain lakes says otherwise.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-09-2016, 07:11 PM

Sunny. For future reference you can get out via cell phone at the top of the hump minutes up the road from the Bear Pond parking lot. Fish and Wildlife were parked up there Saturday when I came over. I have also seen several Forestry vehicles up there and on the trunk road the past couple months as well. I'm certain they would have the means and be willing to connect you with F&W to report violators too. Be aware lots of theft happens from that parking lot also. Remote and plenty of weekend warrior traffic on mobile get away units.

Dace
Old 08-10-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
No I'm suggesting that when/if F&W decline you, you run the business yourself. I.E. You maintain a pool of phones and lend them out to people. Assuming it makes financial sense to you when you look at the numbers.
There are plenty of rental companies. Doesn't make sense. It works as a public service. Not as a business. Report a poacher could pay for it. Someone could make money if you parked at a high offence area and called in poachers all day and they were prosecuted and not released by F&W with a warning.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:39 PM

Sundance...

Why not start a new thread with the voting buttons? See how many people would be willing to go pick up a phone before heading out fishing?

Personally... as in just me, alone, not speaking for others... I'd be unlikely to do this. I'd say 30% of my fishing is spur of the moment (i.e., when I have the time, weather is OK, wife isn't going to lay the guilt on me, etc.). So grabbing a phone in those cases is a definite no go.

In the remainder I'd be unlikely to because I'm already busy enough gathering and organizing my gear, fueling up the boat, charging batteries, loading it up, making sure all doo-dads and gadgets are on board and in working order, checking weather and fishing reports, buying new tackle or bait, packing food and water, making arrangements with anyone who's coming along.... bla bla bla. Point is that the sole aspect of prepping to fish is a major time suck already (and I still regularly forget things!!!). I don't think I can also add in a trip to the nearest fish and fur HQ to get a phone.

If I see someone poaching and I can't call it in I'm going to go talk to them, take pictures/video of their faces/their boat ID, head back to shore and get in my vehicle. Then drive until I can make a call. This might take as much time or more as grabbing a sat phone, but there will be so many times when I grab that sat phone and don't use it. My economist brain says that this is an inefficient allocation of my time.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:13 PM

Sorry but it is just not a very good idea. People would probably just end up using the phones for personal reasons haha. Not gonna happen although in a perfect world it would be nice!