Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-12-2023, 10:34 AM

Default New boat licensing regs

Apparently the time for commenting on new Tspt Cda boat licensing regs expires tonite. The free lifetime license is going bye-bye and over the next 5 yrs a person will have to pay 24.00 (current price) to renew it every 5 yrs.
There are some changes in there as to specs for what has to be licensed as well.
Canada Gazzette regarding the changes, there is a summary near the end;

https://canadagazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1...BkRlxsplxJE2GM
Old 07-12-2023, 10:44 AM

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Never an end to the creative ways to enhance the government's revenue streams.
Old 07-12-2023, 10:54 AM

I don’t have issue with a renewal period of every 5 years or so. A lot of people buy a boat, sell it and since it has a permanent registration never register it in their name. Cant tell you how many people I’ve run across that have a boat or snowmobile like this. Been sold 2-3x over and still registered in someone’s name from 10 years ago. I sure wish our state would get rid of lifetime registration for ohv/sleds/boats. Or like vehicles let them do a life time registration after they’re 10 years old.
Old 07-12-2023, 05:35 PM

Default New boat licensing regs

Seems like there are larger problems out there than this.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 07-12-2023, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post

SS
Like feeding the poor, world peace and global warming ...... er .... wait .... never mind global warming .... Gretta has us covered.

But yeah, a 5yr re-registration is not a big deal. Yeah it's a cash grab, but it's less than 5 bucks a year. I wish other things for my boat only cost 5 bucks a year ...... BOAT (bring out another thousand) comes to mind.
Old 07-12-2023, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post

SS
Agreed...just another cash grab.
Old 07-12-2023, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Like feeding the poor, world peace and global warming ...... er .... wait .... never mind global warming .... Gretta has us covered.

But yeah, a 5yr re-registration is not a big deal. Yeah it's a cash grab, but it's less than 5 bucks a year. I wish other things for my boat only cost 5 bucks a year ...... BOAT (bring out another thousand) comes to mind.

I mean items like enforcement. People driving boats under the influence, without licenses, or (in this case) without proper registration. What’s the point of having the registration renewal process if no one is checking? And if they are checking, people would have to fix their registrations and therefore the problem is gone.

SS

Old 07-13-2023, 07:09 AM

Just curious has anyone ever been asked to show your boating license? I’ve never been asked.

Edit: actually now that I’ve thought about it more I was asked once, warden on Maligne lake asked me for it when I was ripping the wake in my 12ft tinner and 12v electric motor if you can believe that. But I’ve never been asked other than that.
Old 07-13-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I don’t have issue with a renewal period of every 5 years or so. A lot of people buy a boat, sell it and since it has a permanent registration never register it in their name. Cant tell you how many people I’ve run across that have a boat or snowmobile like this. Been sold 2-3x over and still registered in someone’s name from 10 years ago. I sure wish our state would get rid of lifetime registration for ohv/sleds/boats. Or like vehicles let them do a life time registration after they’re 10 years old.
I disagree... Boats, atvs, sleds etc should all be life time registration and a one time cost.

The yearly fees to register a family's atv/sleds is insane.. 2 sleds and 2 atv's is over 400$ each year.. And you are incorrect if you assume those fee's go directly to trail maintence/enforcement etc... It goes ot government's general coffers.. Just like every other source of government revenue.. then from there our politicians decide where or who that money goes to.

The only law should be that every vehicle you own must be registered to you. The ticket for owning something not registered to you should be higher enought to deter people from buying something and not registering it.
Old 07-13-2023, 08:48 AM

There's one really simple reason that boat registrations don't get updated when they get bought and sold - that's how the tax man tracks you down.

Paying the tax on a boat trailer that has mandatory registration is annoying, but not the end of the world, paying the tax on a $30-300K boat is whole different matter. Careful what you wish for, because mandatory boat registration, or even more enforcement, is going to result in a A LOT more taxes being collected. Quite frankly, I'm amazed they haven't cracked down on it for that very reason, I'm sure JT could "use" the cash...

I'd MUCH rather see a world where boats weren't registered at all than a world with mandatory registration...
Old 07-13-2023, 09:14 AM

I just transferred the registration from a BC boat to myself here and it came with a 10 year expiration. I was wondering why it had any expiration at all.
Old 07-13-2023, 09:28 AM

Many years ago when I purchased my own brand-new boat, I had no idea that this was even a requirement. Used boat for several years before I actually put #'s on the bow. Since then, I've always updated with new boat and letting the buyer of my used boat to update the system..
In all those years, never ever been asked about the license numbers. I assume if they find my boat floating on the lake without anyone in it, they would have a way to contact me.

After looking at the article, it's the typical gov doc that almost impossible to read. I don't get how it would cost $40 million to implement / update this program
Old 07-13-2023, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman View Post
Many years ago when I purchased my own brand-new boat, I had no idea that this was even a requirement. Used boat for several years before I actually put #'s on the bow. Since then, I've always updated with new boat and letting the buyer of my used boat to update the system..
In all those years, never ever been asked about the license numbers. I assume if they find my boat floating on the lake without anyone in it, they would have a way to contact me.

After looking at the article, it's the typical gov doc that almost impossible to read. I don't get how it would cost $40 million to implement / update this program
Our government could spend 40 million before breakfast figuring out whether to have sausage or bacon.
Old 07-13-2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeroot View Post
I disagree... Boats, atvs, sleds etc should all be life time registration and a one time cost.

The yearly fees to register a family's atv/sleds is insane.. 2 sleds and 2 atv's is over 400$ each year.. And you are incorrect if you assume those fee's go directly to trail maintence/enforcement etc... It goes ot government's general coffers.. Just like every other source of government revenue.. then from there our politicians decide where or who that money goes to.

The only law should be that every vehicle you own must be registered to you. The ticket for owning something not registered to you should be higher enought to deter people from buying something and not registering it.
Ha except people don’t transfer the registration, then when they get a ticket they get all butt hurt and complain because “what am I really hurting”? Sorry recreation based equipment isn’t a necessity its a luxury and you pay to play.

You mention upkeep of trails etc… who pays for that?it should’ve the users via some type of trail pass and yet they complain about paying for that as we’ll some of the biggest whiners I have ever dealt with are boat owners and snowmobiles.
Old 07-13-2023, 05:23 PM

$71k worth of limo trips by the Governor General around Iceland for 4 days doesn’t pay for itself don’t ya know…. Sad & true story.
Old 07-14-2023, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
I just transferred the registration from a BC boat to myself here and it came with a 10 year expiration. I was wondering why it had any expiration at all.
I sent them the stuff, now wondering if/when I'll be hearing from them.

From my point of view a one time registry is all that should ever be required.
Old 07-14-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
I sent them the stuff, now wondering if/when I'll be hearing from them.

From my point of view a one time registry is all that should ever be required.
Mine took 7 days to arrive in my email.

I agree with a lifetime registry. But increased enforcement and STEEP fines for those who abuse it.

Increase enforcement would entail just SOME enforcement really....I've been boating in Alberta for 30 years and have never once been asked to produce proof of registration.
Old 07-14-2023, 11:06 AM

An easy first step is to have boat registration checked at the “out of province” boat inspections throughout the province. While there are a lot of boaters that never leave the province, the inspection resources already exist at these locations, so no real additional cost to the province.

Old 07-15-2023, 09:16 AM

I have had my boat 15 plus years and have not ever been asked for registration. I do have all the required documents. Just found out last year that you have to update registration after 10yrs. Got spot checked on Lake Revelstoke in June this year. First time in 25 yrs. They asked for all safety gear, pleasure craft licence, how many fish, size. Nothing about registration. They did ask who owns the boat. Didn't have a waterproof flashlight. Could have been a $250 fine. They said go to town and buy one. Guess I will have to re-register boat. They were very pleasant to talk with. It would be a good as suggested to have registration checked at boat inspection stops. Give out reminders with 2 weeks to show proof of updated registration. I don't know.
Old 07-15-2023, 09:33 AM

only was asked once in 45 years of boating for regustation and that was at a road stop by little bow provincial park . when i told him it was in the glove box of the boat he said to keep it in the tow vehicle so he was not wasteing his time while the travel cover was taken off the boat. in the end he said have a nice and we never did take the cover off or produce the regustation
Old 07-15-2023, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
Mine took 7 days to arrive in my email.

I agree with a lifetime registry. But increased enforcement and STEEP fines for those who abuse it.

Increase enforcement would entail just SOME enforcement really....I've been boating in Alberta for 30 years and have never once been asked to produce proof of registration.
So, you haven't had to produce it in 30 years, because even law enforcement sees no value in it, but you're lobbying for more cost, more regulations, and steep fines for those who don't "produce their papers".

My question to all of those who are in favour of stricter boat registration laws or more enforcement is, WHY? What is the benefit? How will it improve on the current situation?

The downside is obvious, and personally, I see ZERO upside.
Old 07-15-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
So, you haven't had to produce it in 30 years, because even law enforcement sees no value in it, but you're lobbying for more cost, more regulations, and steep fines for those who don't "produce their papers".

My question to all of those who are in favour of stricter boat registration laws or more enforcement is, WHY? What is the benefit? How will it improve on the current situation?

Im not lobbying for anything. Im opposing the current changes where theres increased costs and rules for EVERYONE because of the few who dont follow the rules. Wouldn't it have made more sense to actually enforce the rules we already had?

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2023, 11:13 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post

I am for more spot checks cuz there are a lot of unsafe boaters out there which is scary.
This registration thing should be a one time thing but transferable to the new owner upon sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-15-2023, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I am for more spot checks cuz there are a lot of unsafe boaters out there which is scary.
This registration thing should be a one time thing but transferable to the new owner upon sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Registration (or limited validity) won’t influence unsafe boating. This is another cash grab, plain & simple.
Old 07-16-2023, 07:10 AM

There is really no reason it's not all done through your provincial insurance provider, you insure the trailer and put a plate on it, you insure the boat and motor, so why can't you just register the boat at the same time? All nice and neat.
Old 07-16-2023, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
There is really no reason it's not all done through your provincial insurance provider, you insure the trailer and put a plate on it, you insure the boat and motor, so why can't you just register the boat at the same time? All nice and neat.
Would make things so much easier all in one stop. Well, insurance is insurance through a provider of course and registration is through the provincial registry. Doesn't matter what you have both are done separate. Both get a piece of the money pie. I had to try and convince my insurance provider to insure my setup and told them I will switch providers if not. They set it up through a different provider and I only pay one provider. One time shot if you own your boat forever for registration. Cancel yours when you sell. Find a way to get the new owners to register. At least it's not every year (YET) like our vehicles.
Old 07-16-2023, 10:21 AM

I've wondered for some time if this would eventually end up being a cash grab.

I have no issue with the system or the concept. I've submitted or renewed a number of registrations the last few years. It is simple enough, for the most part. Transport Canada's website ****es me off a bit though. And the process asks for the number on the Canadian compliance label. I've yet to see a compliance label with a number on it.

The part that intrigues me is apparently law enforcement doesn't even have any sort of quick access to this registry. Was told by an RCMP officer that the only thing that they'd be able to search is if that particular hull ID number was reported stolen. No way to verify if the boat is actually registered aside from having the paper with you.
Old 07-16-2023, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
I've wondered for some time if this would eventually end up being a cash grab.

I have no issue with the system or the concept. I've submitted or renewed a number of registrations the last few years. It is simple enough, for the most part. Transport Canada's website ****es me off a bit though. And the process asks for the number on the Canadian compliance label. I've yet to see a compliance label with a number on it.

The part that intrigues me is apparently law enforcement doesn't even have any sort of quick access to this registry. Was told by an RCMP officer that the only thing that they'd be able to search is if that particular hull ID number was reported stolen. No way to verify if the boat is actually registered aside from having the paper with you.
If this “effort” was altruistic in nature, it would be voluntary (and even then, it’s a stretch). If a person had a boat of significant value, maybe they’d want to register it…maybe. A serial # serves the same purpose if you ask me. Another cash grab… & they just keep adding up.
Old 07-16-2023, 07:10 PM

Default Enough is enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by I’d rather be outdoors View Post
If this “effort” was altruistic in nature, it would be voluntary (and even then, it’s a stretch). If a person had a boat of significant value, maybe they’d want to register it…maybe. A serial # serves the same purpose if you ask me. Another cash grab… & they just keep adding up.
I guess it is ok for you liberals with lots of money coming in but I am a retired serviceman. Two of us living on a military pension. Gas goes up, groceries go up, property taxes go up - everything goes up except my income. $10 here, $20 there $50 for this other thing may not mean much to you but I am getting poorer every day and don't need another cash grab disguised as something that is good for me.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 07-16-2023, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
I guess it is ok for you liberals with lots of money coming in but I am a retired serviceman. Two of us living on a military pension. Gas goes up, groceries go up, property taxes go up - everything goes up except my income. $10 here, $20 there $50 for this other thing may not mean much to you but I am getting poorer every day and don't need another cash grab disguised as something that is good for me.
You may want to re-read my post. That’s the 1st time anyone’s ever accused me of being a lieberal lol. I’m with you. It’s a cash grab :-)