Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-26-2020, 04:20 PM

Default Belize property

My wife and I just love Belize, particularly Placencia and Punta Gorda. Canadians seem to feel the same. I was wondering if there are any Belize property owners on this board. BEL
Old 12-26-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL View Post
My wife and I just love Belize, particularly Placencia and Punta Gorda. Canadians seem to feel the same. I was wondering if there are any Belize property owners on this board. BEL
A couple buddies own places. The biggest hurdle is getting your money out. If you start a business there are rules around local hiring.

Some areas the crime is very bad...violent crime excessive. Ambergris Caye is beautiful. Locals are a more protective of the tourists. There were a number of Canadian owned restaurants when I was there last.

Homes are constructed of concrete block.

Belize is a narco state. Government is in bed with drug dealers. Anglers were killed on the water a short while back when caught in a boat with the guide that crossed a drug boss.

My boat got harassed by a narco cigar boat with some tough looking dudes. Guide had his Glock out at his side.

Love the water and the reefs. Just wish the fishing was better and the area safer.

The marina/compound we anchored in two nights had 8 foot high concrete walls with 2 feet of razor wire on top of that. Guards walking and manning the gate had automatic weapons.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-26-2020, 04:49 PM

Wow!! Never had any experiences like that. Really don't like Belize city where most crime is. Ambergries is not my favorite place either but had a great bonefish guide about 5 or 6 years ago. Have u ever fished the New River or Belize River for Tarpon? BEL
Old 12-26-2020, 05:20 PM

Funny, I heard its one of the safer destinations down that way.
Old 12-26-2020, 05:38 PM

It is safe per capita wise if you take Belize City out of the equation. BEL
Old 12-26-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Wow!! Never had any experiences like that. Really don't like Belize city where most crime is. Ambergries is not my favorite place either but had a great bonefish guide about 5 or 6 years ago. Have u ever fished the New River or Belize River for Tarpon? BEL
Fished out of San Pedro and also a live aboard south of Belize City.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-26-2020, 07:37 PM

https://www.osac.gov/Country/Belize/...6-184cedc8d23f

https://www.businessinsider.com/coca...olombia-2019-9

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/belize
Old 12-26-2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
A couple buddies own places. The biggest hurdle is getting your money out. If you start a business there are rules around local hiring.

Some areas the crime is very bad...violent crime excessive. Ambergris Caye is beautiful. Locals are a more protective of the tourists. There were a number of Canadian owned restaurants when I was there last.

Homes are constructed of concrete block.

Belize is a narco state. Government is in bed with drug dealers. Anglers were killed on the water a short while back when caught in a boat with the guide that crossed a drug boss.

My boat got harassed by a narco cigar boat with some tough looking dudes. Guide had his Glock out at his side.

Love the water and the reefs. Just wish the fishing was better and the area safer.

The marina/compound we anchored in two nights had 8 foot high concrete walls with 2 feet of razor wire on top of that. Guards walking and manning the gate had automatic weapons.
Holy cr&p! About 20 years ago I met a lady who were vacationing there every year and was raving about the place and how safe it is compared to even Mexico! Now it sounds like Mogadishu....
Old 12-27-2020, 08:03 AM

Default wow

Those stats are quite sobering for sure. We haven't seen any evidence of this but we move around, rarely staying at one loction for more than a week. We have established links for taxis and accommodation along the way who are trustworthy. We like to think we are careful. We did not feel as safe in the Orange Walk/Corozol area so we don't visit that area anymore. A month after we left there was a Canadian woman and her boyfriend murdered. BEL
Old 12-27-2020, 08:16 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Wouldn't do it....even places in the states too....just me as look what happened one little border shutdown and things get all wonky....don't need the added stress....pack up....fly out....enjoy a week, month or months renting then head home....no worries....no underlying issues to sneak up and you are 1000 miles away....not for me.

Too many people I know at first were just bla bla bla how nice it is etc and a few years later I see them and man the horror stories just start coming out....life will then you curve balls now and then but don't become part of the issues that surface......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-27-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Those stats are quite sobering for sure. We haven't seen any evidence of this but we move around, rarely staying at one loction for more than a week. We have established links for taxis and accommodation along the way who are trustworthy. We like to think we are careful. We did not feel as safe in the Orange Walk/Corozol area so we don't visit that area anymore. A month after we left there was a Canadian woman and her boyfriend murdered. BEL
When you stress how hard you work to stay safe and how it compares to some other bad spots...you knows it bad.

You are taking a risk and may not consciously realize the level of risk until something bad hits the fan.

Some people enjoy risk and have much higher thresholds. As you get older sometimes your risk tolerance drops..

As for property...Belize isn’t getting better. I found it has gotten way worse in the last 20 years. I wouldn’t be investing in property. You won’t make money, hard to get money out of country and if you love Belize still...renting is likely a better use of cash. Invest the balance in dividend stocks.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:22 AM

I have helped people who bought property in many countries. Most of the time it did not work out well. What I learned from doing that is there are very few third world countries that you want to put your money into. Buying property in a G 8 country in one thing, buying land in a country with unstable political setup, drug cartels, poor court systems etc means you should be prepared to write off the money the day you buy the property.

If you look around there are safe places to go, as well as own property, that also have nice weather and stable legal/political systems A few thoughts are Spain, Portugal, Italy, the south of France, Barbados, New Zealand, Australia. South America isn't on that list. No matter where you decide to buy, do a ton of research and talk to expats that own and live in the location. Also talk to expat lawyers about all the ins and outs of buying, owning and selling.

Last edited by Dean2; 12-27-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have helped people who bought property in many countries. Most of the time it did not work out well. What I learned from doing that is there are very few third world countries that you want to put your money into. Buying property in a G 8 country in one thing, buying land in a country with unstable political setup, drug cartels, poor court systems etc means you should be prepared to write off the money the day you buy the property.

If you look around there are safe places to go, as well as own property, that also have nice weather and stable legal/political systems. South America isn't on that list. No matter where you decide to buy, do a ton of research and talk to expats that own and live in the location. Also talk to expat lawyers about all the ins and outs of buying, owning and selling.
Good advise. A good friend of mine lost everything he had on a property in one of those South American countries. He said “ it’s not easy starting over with nothing.” Sobering thoughts for a middle aged person.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:25 AM

An acquaintance of mine lost everything he had in Medellin Colombia, was starting a bed and breakfast I have no idea why.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
An acquaintance of mine lost everything he had in Medellin Colombia, was starting a bed and breakfast I have no idea why.

I find it very hard to feel sorry for some people. I know they say a sucker is born every day, but guys like your acquaintance have elevated it to an art form. That is stupidity at a whole new level of attainment.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:38 AM

Really thankful for this thread, I was about to close on a BBQ restaurant in Mogadishu. Probably saved me a lot of trouble, I was already having a hard time sourcing pork....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-27-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Really thankful for this thread, I was about to close on a BBQ restaurant in Mogadishu. Probably saved me a lot of trouble, I was already having a hard time sourcing pork....

Now that was damn funny. Made my day.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:57 AM

actually I just remembered another acquaintance of mine started some kind of bed and breakfast in Nepal, when they had that big earthquake a few years ago wiped them out.

Old 12-27-2020, 12:01 PM

About 15 years ago I was approached by four business acquaintances to participate in a joint venture in Belize. It was a Teak Tree farm. Initial investment would have been 100K each. I declined and they got a lesson in doing business overseas. Someone in Belize got a good donation to their retirement.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
About 15 years ago I was approached by four business acquaintances to participate in a joint venture in Belize. It was a Teak Tree farm. Initial investment would have been 100K each. I declined and they got a lesson in doing business overseas. Someone in Belize got a good donation to their retirement.
I know somebody who actually had a tree farm there, at one time, mahogany as I recall. Think they left because of potential political instability. Then there are these guys, drawn by farming opportunities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mennonites_in_Belize

Grizz
Old 12-27-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
K that right there is funny...