Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2014, 08:11 AM

Smile Next Election in Alberta

O.K. folks what is your guess? The new Premier will be picked (Jim Prentice) on September 6. I think that they have to wait 45 days after the writ is dropped. That makes October 14 the earliest we go to the poles.

Now in the old days there was lots of hand wringing and scotch consumed worrying about the farm vote and the harvest.

Maybe not this time, the last election saw 3 rural cabinet ministers lost.

Now they don't want to run into Christmas, not a good time for name calling.

Bad weather considerations may be part of the decision too.

Halloween would be a poor choice, that was the date of the Reformation!

It is always on a Monday. So what is your guess?

Oct 27 2014
Old 05-13-2014, 08:28 AM

My guess is as far out as they can. Prentice (if he is the annointed one) will have a lot of rehab to do. He will call an election when the polls say he can win. That's probably going to take some time.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:07 AM

I agree with oko. Oct/nov would be political suicide, he's going to have to separate himself from the mess. Holidays help some people forget. My guess is mid to late January

Heres hoping most of us won't forget what this group has cost is.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:52 AM

Smile

2011.12.08 Alberta Election Amendment Act, 2011Statutes of Alberta 2011, c. 19 General elections shall be held within the 3-month period beginning on March 1 and ending on May 31 in the 4th calendar year following polling day in the most recent general election.

First fixed date election held in 2012.

Got this off of the Parliament of Canada website. Unless the Alberta government repeals this law, the next election will be in spring, 2016. Plenty of time for Mr. Prentice to show us what he is made of.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 05-13-2014, 10:58 AM
Gone Hunting

How confident are you in supporting someone who would run for that party or premier spot after sitting on their collective assets gazing at their navels while the queen was in her counting room stealing all your money.

These incompetents stood by and either did nothing or took an active part in the clustering and went on to sing her praises until she was caught mooning the taxpayers out of the tower windows.

Now a few brave and hearty souls cluck their tongues and say she was nearly evil but they were just following the following.

They all need to get a Kim Campbell and sent of in obscurity.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-13-2014, 10:59 AM

The sooner the better. The trash is starting to stink.

It doesn't matter who is elected the new leader, it's still the same puppet masters behind the scenes.

IDNVFH

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 05-13-2014, 11:37 AM

I doubt there'll need to be a leadership convention. With Hughes bailing yesterday, I bet you a shiny penny (yes, I still have some) that McIvor high-tails it, too, and Prentice gets in by acclimation.

The fact that that slime-ball, Lukaszuk, and that other slime-ball, Horner haven't thrown their hats in means the position is a poison they don't want to take.

As for an election, I agree it'll be the last possible moment....2016. I also think the people who provided significant support in the last election, only to be screwed over will not support those that screwed them over unless A LOT of money changes hands.

I think there are still a lot of skeletons that will come out of the closet over the next few years, as well, and Wild Rose will benefit.

Then, we'll find out that the Wild Rose is the same as the PC's.

In my opinion, the only viable option is the ND's because with them, you know what you'll get. Higher taxes, education, health care, paved roads, legalized dope (tax windfall!!!!), and a lot of hand wringing and nanny-stating.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:23 PM

Smile There's more

If they (those with feet in the trough) want to stay longer, Mr. Prentice will have to govern from the gallery. That won't work with this government or province.

So we are back to a by-election. Will one of the PCs fall on his sword in a "safe seat"? What would constitute a safe seat now?

How about a WR member of the house resigns and force Jim to run in the first vacant seat? That may not be something the powers that pull the strings would want at all.

I think the government can still call an election when ever it wants. Harper was the one who wanted fixed dates and he called one.

The AO members who mentioned they will call one when they think they can win is correct, but what better time than after the excitement of a new leader?

Waiting longer IMO will only make things worse.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
How confident are you in supporting someone who would run for that party or premier spot after sitting on their collective assets gazing at their navels while the queen was in her counting room stealing all your money.

These incompetents stood by and either did nothing or took an active part in the clustering and went on to sing her praises until she was caught mooning the taxpayers out of the tower windows.

Now a few brave and hearty souls cluck their tongues and say she was nearly evil but they were just following the following.

They all need to get a Kim Campbell and sent of in obscurity.

Preach to the choir get nowhere
Convince the fence sitters you will have government
Don't let pride get in the way of performance
Meaning....
People like to have options not be told they are stupid
Convince those who are unconvinced, glad handing nsd back slapping those on the team already does nothing.