Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-12-2014, 10:33 PM

Default RV repair place recommendation?

I think I have an issue with my power convertor/invertor in my trailer. When I have the trailer plugged into 120v the lights and water pump work...the fridge does not (assume the furnace doesn't either).

When I have it unplugged and only hooked up to battery power, only the lights work....the water pump does not come on.

I am doing a full charge on just one of the batteries to see what up but is seemed the 120v is not being brought down to 12v to run the fridge and other 12V accessories.

Suggestions?....recommendations on a decent RV place in Edmonton area?

LC
Old 05-12-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I think I have an issue with my power convertor/invertor in my trailer. When I have the trailer plugged into 120v the lights and water pump work...the fridge does not (assume the furnace doesn't either).

When I have it unplugged and only hooked up to battery power, only the lights work....the water pump does not come on.

I am doing a full charge on just one of the batteries to see what up but is seemed the 120v is not being brought down to 12v to run the fridge and other 12V accessories.

Suggestions?....recommendations on a decent RV place in Edmonton area?

LC
I had the same thing happen. It was the inverter. Beside it being in an awkward spot to get to, it was simple to change.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:46 AM

Check your fuses
Old 05-13-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrydude View Post
Check your fuses
All fuses are good....

Here is more info, when plugged into 120v the lights, pump, status control center (where it shows fill level of water and storage tanks etc.) all work.

When unplugged and running on 12v only the lights work, the pump will not turn on and the status control center does not display anything when the buttons are pressed.

Neither being plugged into 120v or being unplugged does the refrigerator do anything....

LC
Old 05-13-2014, 07:53 AM

Figured it out....DOH!

Mental note, do not de-winterize and get a trailer ready when it's getting late and you are tired.

I managed to somehow reverse the polarity when hooking up the batteries! Who new negative was white wires and positive was black

The thing that tipped me off was I knew the oven hood fan would turn one way hooked up correctly and the other way if the polarity was reversed.

So I disconnected the battery and ran off AC only....the fan turned counter clockwise, then I connected the DC removed the AC and the fan turned clockwise....thus I had the DC connections reversed at the battery.

The refrigerator needs to have both AC and DC to operate....so that's why it had no response no matter what, with the battery in the correct position it works fine.

Phew....I didn't even wreck anything else

LC
Old 05-13-2014, 08:01 AM

Good to hear! We have all done that kind of thing before.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Figured it out....DOH!

Mental note, do not de-winterize and get a trailer ready when it's getting late and you are tired.

I managed to somehow reverse the polarity when hooking up the batteries! Who new negative was white wires and positive was black

The thing that tipped me off was I knew the oven hood fan would turn one way hooked up correctly and the other way if the polarity was reversed.

So I disconnected the battery and ran off AC only....the fan turned counter clockwise, then I connected the DC removed the AC and the fan turned clockwise....thus I had the DC connections reversed at the battery.

The refrigerator needs to have both AC and DC to operate....so that's why it had no response no matter what, with the battery in the correct position it works fine.

Phew....I didn't even wreck anything else

LC

Check your fuses again LC. I know on my trailer if I reverse the battery connections it blows my 40 amp fuse and I can no longer charge the batteries. I happened to find this one out when I was camping at the north ram for 2 weeks last year. Try and find a 40 amp fuse in the nordegg area. Not happening
Old 05-13-2014, 11:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Figured it out....DOH!

Don't feel bad, last year I spent a week trying to unblock my black water tank with a snake, chemicals, etc. Long story short.....The black water & grey water stickers on the side of the trailer at the pulls were reversed....black was the grey tank and grey was the black tank.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:31 AM

I am convinced that sometimes some people I know would never laugh if I wasn't around....screwing stuff up all the time.

LC
Old 05-13-2014, 07:27 PM

I did the same thing in my camper.
Furnace would not blow air....
Finally realized it when I installed my new LED lights.

I have no idea why they use black/white and make it azz backwards.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:22 PM

After forgetting which was positive a couple of springs in a row I finally just wrote on the inside of the battery compartment door that black was positive for my truck camper. Now have a fifth wheel also and positive is red as you'd expect