Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2014, 02:24 PM

Default Backcountry Camping - Hike In

Hi,

I'm new to Calgary and am looking for backcountry camping ideas/areas. I've seen a lot of posts on K-Country and Forestry Trunk Road, but am looking for something secluded without ATVs or camp trailers nearby. Happy to drive 3+ hours from Calgary for a day-long hike into a campsite. Fly fishing would be a bonus but not absolutely necessary for our first trip. I know people aren't going to rush to give up their favourite spots, but a general area, or a few rivers/trails that are suitable for backcountry/random camping would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Zakland
Old 05-10-2014, 03:05 PM

You might have the best luck by going into MEC and buying one of the Hiking trails books they sell. Lots of very accurate information there where you could pick the best trek for the time of year and amount of time you have available.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:23 PM

Careful, mentioning MEC on here is like trying to educate people on proper fish handling, it's likely to get you banned!!

Zakland, I'll try to PM you in the next little while and I'll pass along some info...

Peter

-Confucius
Old 05-10-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Careful, mentioning MEC on here is like trying to educate people on proper fish handling, it's likely to get you banned!!

Zakland, I'll try to PM you in the next little while and I'll pass along some info...

Peter
Not true Peter. Where someone shops or how they legally release fish is not anyone else's business until they are asked.
Sorry for the slight derail Zakland.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:38 PM

Stop in at your nearest fish and wildlife office and pick up a set of pluz maps. The maps cover the mountain range from north of Hinton all the way down to the US border. You can go through them and select the areas that are hiking equestrian only and plan your trip from there. There are also a few national parks near by.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:54 PM

Lost Guide Lake.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
You might have the best luck by going into MEC and buying one of the Hiking trails books they sell. Lots of very accurate information there where you could pick the best trek for the time of year and amount of time you have available.
Or you could go to Campers Village - they actively support hunters and fishermen.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:01 PM

Thanks everyone. Have been looking through a backroad map but am still a bit unsure. Thanks for the suggestions though, will definitely look them up.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:19 PM

A good first overnighter fishing trip with some peace and quiet would be Lake of the Horns.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:54 AM

I'd say the best options are probably in the parks, offering both scenery and relative isolation. The Canadian Rockies Trail Guide is an excellent book that has directed me to a lot of great places. Random camping is not usually allowed until you are at least a couple days into the back country, and fly fishing requires you follow the park's regulations. You are guaranteed not to run into ATVs though.

If you want to avoid the parks for whatever reason your options in the Calgary area become more limited, even moreso if you are avoiding the Forestry Trunk Road, which is understandable. I would recommend David Thompson country which is at the outer limit of your 3 hour drive. Plenty of fishing options in the area at least.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:04 AM

Head west, cpl- few hours. Into bc around radium area all over there or golden. Endless areas and it's beautiful.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:05 AM

There are some nice, remote hike-in lakes in the Castle region as well.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:09 AM
Banned

Banff, Jasper, or the western half of the Bighorn Backcountry is all non-motorized and very wild.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:21 PM

Zakland...
Here is a site that might help you decide where to go hiking. It has good information on all the trails in Alberta and BC. Actually, all of North America. Great site. Hope it helps.

http://www.trailpeak.com/index.jsp?c...ist&val=custom

Tags
backcountry, backpacking, camping, fishing