Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2014, 05:03 PM

Question Has Gour-mart shut down?

We took our stuff there in January for sausage and it was great, then heard on here that Darrel had sold out to a young couple. Now I tried to look them up online and the website seems to be gone...Anyone know anything?
We want to take in some more moose for sausage. Where can we go now that is reasonable and good?

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 05-10-2014, 11:02 PM

When I was there last (not impressed) they were only doing game. There was no store front with other products for sale. Without regular product, I would expect that this time of year there is not enough demand for sausage making to keep the doors open. That's too bad because when they brought their A-game, I thought they were the best.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
When I was there last (not impressed) they were only doing game. There was no store front with other products for sale. Without regular product, I would expect that this time of year there is not enough demand for sausage making to keep the doors open. That's too bad because when they brought their A-game, I thought they were the best.

Hmmmm, I have been going there for over 35 years....First I heard of it, time to call Darrell.......I will report back......!

They are the best in my opinion.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:32 AM

I found Darrel's cell so will call that tomorrow...Just find it odd the website is gone, as it was always up year-round, with all their processing prices on there and menu.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 05-11-2014, 11:01 AM

He used to teach the Commercial Meat Cutters in the mornings at SAIT when I instructed there, but that was over 10 years ago.
I also contracted him to teach a Home Sausage Making Course to all my hunting buddies in the late 90's.
I still use his Pepper Cheese Smokie recipe every chance I get.
I am not sure, but I heard some years back that he was doing some work with Winter's Turkeys
He has amazing business savvy.
I wish him every success.

Last edited by omega50; 05-11-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:14 PM

I started going to Gour-mart when Darryl's father Fred was still running the business. When Darryl took over I did not notice any quality change. I have not had sausage made for the last 3 or 4 years but took in a small batch of trim last fall. The place was not the same as I remembered. I can not begin to describe how bad it was. I learned that Gour-mart had been closed for a while and one of the young people I spoke to said that Darryl still owned the place, but did not take any part in the production of sausage. Gour-mart was for sale and the young people would continue to make sausage till the business was sold.

Over the years I usually ordered smokie sized polish sausage, a very nice salami that was very similar to the polish and a smokie sized pepperoni. I have never tasted better anywhere! For me the old Gour-mart will be missed
Old 05-11-2014, 05:03 PM

Default Gour-Mart

GOUR-MART IS STILL IN BUSINESS

Hey it's Darrell, I got your message.

Gour-Mart's web site has changed to: www.gour-mart.ca

Please let the fellows know I have not sold and I anticipate to still be in business this fall....
Hope to see you before then, you know you can drop in anytime.

Thanks bud, for helping me out,
Darrell

Last edited by graybeard; 05-11-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:09 PM

Good news! I hope he can do up some sausage for us now as we are already out of salami, haha...
Thanks, Graybeard!

P.S. I still cannot access his website, though...

Old 05-11-2014, 05:13 PM

You are welcome guys....what a relief eh? It is like loosing your favorite barber, mechanic, electrician, plumber, bartender etc......lol.....

Whewwwww.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:37 PM

website does not work

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 05-11-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
GOUR-MART IS STILL IN BUSINESS

Hey it's Darrell, I got your message.

Gour-Mart's web site has changed to: www.gour-mart.ca

Please let the fellows know I have not sold and I anticipate to still be in business this fall....
Hope to see you before then, you know you can drop in anytime.

Thanks bud, for helping me out,
Darrell
You may want to let Darrell know that when you do a search on google, this is one of the first hits:
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/14381...t-Shop-Calgary
Old 05-13-2014, 07:47 AM

I called Darrel and he said the website is still being worked on. He still does special orders so we are taking in some more stuff this week as he is doing sausage next week. Yay!

Old 05-13-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
i called darrel and he said the website is still being worked on. He still does special orders so we are taking in some more stuff this week as he is doing sausage next week. Yay!
x 2....he said the same thing to me....

Molly, have you tried the sausage Darrell makes, with the cheddar cheese down the center...if not and you do; buckle up as it is GREAT....wow.