Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2014, 10:39 PM

Default Anyone else would be fired

But not these guys
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/05/0...officer-guilty

Court documents show Martin used the VISA credit card to buy the two helmets from Cycle Works West for $684.84 sometime between Dec. 22, 2010, and May 19, 2011. Martin never repaid the money.

According to the agreed facts, the helmets were brought back to the Spruce Grove detachment after the complaint was filed and investigated in an attempt to pass them off as a legitimate RCMP purchase.

A thief and a lier......? And they wonder why they lost the respect of the public. Sheez is this crap ever going to end.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:09 PM

Of course he should be fired, but I doubt that it will happen. Instead this criminal will continue to be paid to uphold our laws. What a joke the RCMP has become.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:11 PM

He just needs some hugs.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:20 PM

Fraud & bad behavior exists in all police forces but it truly makes you wonder if it is time for our own provincial force or a system like Montana's. The RCMP have lost the trust of so much of the public & had such huge screw-ups maybe not possible for them to become relevant again. I have had no personal dealings with them for decades but my respect for them wanes with each passing year. On the other hand, Rick Hanson APPEARS to be doing a top-notch job leading his people by example.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike View Post
But not these guys
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/05/0...officer-guilty

Court documents show Martin used the VISA credit card to buy the two helmets from Cycle Works West for $684.84 sometime between Dec. 22, 2010, and May 19, 2011. Martin never repaid the money.

According to the agreed facts, the helmets were brought back to the Spruce Grove detachment after the complaint was filed and investigated in an attempt to pass them off as a legitimate RCMP purchase.

A thief and a lier......? And they wonder why they lost the respect of the public. Sheez is this crap ever going to end.
Bringing them to the detachment after the investigation has started should result in obstruction of justice charges. Let's see if the RCMP is able to police itself this time, for once.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Fraud & bad behavior exists in all police forces but it truly makes you wonder if it is time for our own provincial force or a system like Montana's. The RCMP have lost the trust of so much of the public & had such huge screw-ups maybe not possible for them to become relevant again. I have had no personal dealings with them for decades but my respect for them wanes with each passing year. On the other hand, Rick Hanson APPEARS to be doing a top-notch job leading his people by example.
But have they lost the trust? How many ppl never watch the news? There's a lot of stories I would never have heard of except for this forum, especially in regards to a topic like this. Usually it's tucked way back the the part of the paper that no body reads.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
But have they lost the trust? How many ppl never watch the news? There's a lot of stories I would never have heard of except for this forum, especially in regards to a topic like this. Usually it's tucked way back the the part of the paper that no body reads.
Good point.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Good point.
I know of a police officer in Edmonton traffic div who attended a scene where the driver of a vehicle died at the scene. This officer removed a number of items from the trunk and gave said items to his three boys and his wife at the time.
I know of this because I dated that wife after she divorced him. The incident was brought before his superiors and he wasn't punished for the crime at all as he was close to retirement.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:52 AM

RCMP are a joke and need to be disbanded.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 05-11-2014, 08:08 AM

He's only one cop... last year there were a couple of hundred RCMP in High River that didn't know right from wrong!
Old 05-11-2014, 08:09 AM

I feel bad for this guy he only stole $680 from the Government and is up on criminal charges were the Red Queen stole thousands of dollars from us and goes on as almost nothing happened.( And yes I am being sarcastic)They are all a bunch of crooks.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:42 AM

Good point! Of course he was wrong for what he did, especially in a position of trust. Having said that, I sure hope the rest of you hypocrites so quick to jump on the band wagon, have never stole a pen from work? I'm confident none of you have ever been speeding or smoked dope or??? Get off your high horses! What puts YOUabove the law? Your sense of entitlement???

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but think before you speak!

R...

Quote:
Originally Posted by macee View Post
I feel bad for this guy he only stole $680 from the Government and is up on criminal charges were the Red Queen stole thousands of dollars from us and goes on as almost nothing happened.( And yes I am being sarcastic)They are all a bunch of crooks.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricktye View Post
Good point! Of course he was wrong for what he did, especially in a position of trust. Having said that, I sure hope the rest of you hypocrites so quick to jump on the band wagon, have never stole a pen from work? I'm confident none of you have ever been speeding or smoked dope or??? Get off your high horses! What puts YOUabove the law? Your sense of entitlement???

R...
Everyones a crook to some sort of degree. Its to what extent is the question. Where should the line be drawn? Some jaywalk and some do a buck 40 headin south on hwy 2 to Nisku for work.

However, the people that should uphold these laws, while still human, should do their best to show an example.

If you or i did this with the corporate credit card, the irony is that this officer could be the one investigating if your company presses charges.........
Old 05-11-2014, 08:59 AM

On leave with pay, hmmm, that should help recoup the helmet cost. phyeatric test for a credit card theft. Wouldn't be any test for us lowly citizens. Poor man was probably still traumatized from the Mayorthorpe incident and couldn't help himself. Has he not suffered enough already?
Old 05-11-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricktye View Post

R...
Me. I don't steal nor smoke drugs. I try damn hard not to speed and live everyday with a clean conscience.

Rcmp are thugs and bullies. The view from my horse is excellent.

Last edited by Sneeze; 05-11-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:04 AM

I agree with you. But I was just trying to make a point.... I love my job to, but it doesn't give me the RIGHT to speed to get there. I seriously doubt buying a couple of helmets will/would ever cause anyone injury or death whereas speeding does everyday. It's the potential seriousness me thinks. One cost a few hundred bucks the other could cost tens or hundred of thousands.... You're right, it is the potential extent...

R...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Everyones a crook to some sort of degree. Its to what extent is the question. Where should the line be drawn? Some jaywalk and some do a buck 40 headin south on hwy 2 to Nisku for work.

However, the people that should uphold these laws, while still human, should do their best to show an example.

If you or i did this with the corporate credit card, the irony is that this officer could be the one investigating if your company presses charges.........
Old 05-11-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post

Jaywalking isn't a violation of our criminal code, and neither are most instances of exceeding the posted speed limit. For that reason, a conviction of those charges, doesn't result in a criminal record, and they don't result in serious sentences. On the other hand fraud is a criminal act, so someone that commits fraud is a criminal, and should be treated as such. This officer willingly accepted money to uphold the very law that he violated, so seeing as how he can't be trusted to uphold our laws, he should not be paid to enforce them.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:09 PM

Fraud can be rectified by repayment, loss of life to excessive speeding cannot.

he should be required to repay and have his expenses monitored. remember training of an officer does cost taxpayers a fair amount and throwing them out the door for a lapse in judgement is a poor use of resources.

a good Singapore style caning would help too.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 05-11-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
he should be required to repay and have his expenses monitored. .
Does your generous offer of judgement also apply to car thieves? Shoplifters? Individuals who defraud seniors?

Pay back what you stole and life goes on?
Old 05-11-2014, 02:44 PM

It is the man's 2nd lapse in judgment.
The first lapse that we know of was in Mayerthorpe.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:

he should be required to repay and have his expenses monitored. remember training of an officer does cost taxpayers a fair amount and throwing them out the door for a lapse in judgement is a poor use of resources.
So are you also in favor of doing the same with all thieves, embezzlers, and con men that cheat people out of their life savings? Remember, it costs a lot of the taxpayer's money to take them through the courts, and provide food and shelter for them in jail.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:22 PM

Question Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
It is the man's 2nd lapse in judgment.
The first lapse that we know of was in Mayerthorpe.
While I am not defending the actions of this officer, I do wonder whether Post Traumatic Stress Disorder played a role.

For what he had to go through, and now has to live with due to the events in Mayerthorpe, it is my understanding that PTSD can cause a person to do things they would normally not do. PTSD may not manifest itself for several years.

Just wondering.....

Mr Conservation
Old 05-11-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So are you also in favor of doing the same with all thieves, embezzlers, and con men that cheat people out of their life savings? Remember, it costs a lot of the taxpayer's money to take them through the courts, and provide food and shelter for them in jail.
Justice is not about punishment but seeking remedy to injustice. if he paid it back then he has remedied the injustice and no cost for court or jail. monitoring his expenses is punishment for not being honest. All men are innocent until proven guilty, and upon making amends should be forgiven, but not forgotten(hence the monitoring and record keeping).

Every situation and circumstance must be evaluated and proper remedy assigned by a jury of peers. this is why at one point in western society honor killings were legal as juries would want to maintain the right to kill the man who shot my brother so to speak. The law of the land is much different then the laws at sea. learn the difference and see why government and police control over society has grown so much over the past 200 years or so.

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro

Last edited by Wild&Free; 05-11-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Justice is not about punishment but seeking remedy to injustice. if he paid it back then he has remedied the injustice and no cost for court or jail. monitoring his expenses is punishment for not being honest. All men are innocent until proven guilty, and upon making amends should be forgiven, but not forgotten(hence the monitoring).

Every situation and circumstance must be evaluated and proper remedy assigned by a jury of peers. this is why at one point in western society honor killings were legal as juries would want to maintain the right to kill the man who shot my brother so to speak. The law of the land is much different then the laws at sea. learn the difference and see why government and police control over society has grown so much over the past 200 years or so.
Not surprisingly, you totally avoided the question, so I will repeat it, although, once again, I expect that you will avoid answering the question.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:13 PM

Every situation and circumstance is different. I do not believe in one blanket policy to deal with a multitude of events. So the answer to your question is No.

life is not simple, but if all you want is simple answers then by all means carry on.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:37 PM

Double post.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Every situation and circumstance is different. I do not believe in one blanket policy to deal with a multitude of events. So the answer to your question is No.

life is not simple, but if all you want is simple answers then by all means carry on.
So you're for arbitrary application of the law then?
Old 05-11-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
So you're for arbitrary application of the law then?
If the arbitrators are a jury of peers then Yes.

Should shorten your signature Rugs. It's longer then a lot of your posts.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
So what makes this any different, than any other case where a person steals money from the company he works for? Take for example the person that worked for the city of Edmonton, that collected money from parking meters, and stole part of it. I guess that he should have just given the money back, kept his job, and then be monitored? How about the bank employees that steal from the bank? Shouldn't they just give back the money, keep their job and be monitored? What makes this situation any different?
Old 05-11-2014, 04:58 PM

His organization determines employability, the law sets methods for remedy.

I know of several instances where there has been theft and fraud at a workplace and the employers and management handled the situation in exactly the way I have outlined. All men are equal, he deserves the same treatment.