Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-12-2014, 01:50 PM

Default Ipads in Eurpoe

y wife is going to Italy in September and she has been asking me if her Ipad will work in Italy with WIFI. I was wondering if anyone on here has been to Italy or Europe and could confirm if the Ipad will work there or not? I would assume they have Wifi over there but I thought I should ask the question. I have been told there electric outlets are some weird style so it would not surprise me is there Wifi is some weird style too!

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2014, 02:00 PM

Default europe wifi

Yes her IPAD and WIFI will work there no issues at all. face time is a little slow but works. You may have to set her language input if searching the web though if the IPAD's locator is on. When in France, and Italy I went onto google and it came up in French and Italian. Easy to switch, or click no when prompted to use use location
Old 05-12-2014, 02:03 PM

Default iPad overseas

She will have to buy a power adapter for charging but will have no issues using her iPad on the WiFi itself. Not sure about Italy, but in Ireland there was a severe shortage of free WiFi networks. The two that I took advantage of were McDonalds and Starbucks. When I was able to get connected there were zero issues with the signal itself. Not sure if hotels have it free or not, as I was staying with family.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:04 PM

Default europe wifi

she will need a converter though for the "North American" outlets we use here. The source sells them for around $30 there are a couple different kinds. One for electronics and cameras, and another for curling irons and hair blowers. Both will work, but the converter might get a little hot is using the wrong combo. Plug in the converter into their socket, then plug in your device. The airports sell them too, but more $$$
Old 05-12-2014, 02:32 PM

Default Ipad

The best thing to do is go to the local Vodafone shop I the country she's in and buy a temporary SIM card. They sell them for a week a month etc. then she can get cellular coverage with her ipad. I've done that in three or four countries and it works ok, nothing is guaranteed though travelling
Old 05-12-2014, 03:25 PM

I had a Vodaphone card when I worked in Albania. I used to just pull my Bell card out of my blackberry when I got to work and put my Vodaphone SIM card in.
Worked great, I would text all my family and friends back in Canada daily.
Facetime worked great for me on my Iphone over there aswell.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:03 PM

All you need for powering your ipad is the cheap 220 euro plug to 110. No converter is needed as apple products are made to accept both. Been to Italy and had the ipad. Spent $2 on the plug adapter.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Time Rut Outdoors View Post
All you need for powering your ipad is the cheap 220 euro plug to 110. No converter is needed as apple products are made to accept both. Been to Italy and had the ipad. Spent $2 on the plug adapter.
X2. All chargers for electronics are good from 110 to 240 volts. What you need is $2-3 plug adapter for the country (continent) you are going to. Other appliances, you need transformer with plug adapter.